• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

USB standards about to get even more confusing

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

trents

https://www.techspot.com/news/78945-20gbps-usb-32-coming-desktops-year-brings-new.html

What market is all this trying to tap into or create? What kind of peripheral devices can even benefit from this kind of transfer speed? Is there a need for it? I can see where it would speed up external hard disk transfer speeds but are people really feeling a need to do that? All I use those devices for are scheduled backups at time when I'm asleep. The existing USB 3.0/3.1 is plenty good for that. Or is this headed toward some new video interface?

Last edited:
All I can say is........

tenor.gif

Things just went from bad to worse. It shouldn't be that complicated you know? USB 2.0, USB 3.0, USB 3.1 and USB 3.2
They really need to drop all that GEN1 GEN2 BS really they could call it USB 4.0 or 5.0 but seriously USB 3.2 Gen 2x2 is the most ridiculous thing they could have come up with IMO

There is always a need for something faster... ;)

(as confusing as this is going to be for most - glad I got out the business of fixing people's PCs)

i don't get what is so confusing about it. its likely either usb-C or usb A connector either or is backwards compatible all the way back to usb 1.0 devices. vice versa new devices work fine in older usb types some might require adapters but either way.

welcome change, its amazing.

20gb\s you could run a DAS storage unit off of that with no bandwidth issues. all kinds of applications really.

I'm not complaining about a faster interface just the naming convention. Some of us have to write about these things and it's bad enough as it is.

Additionally, USB 3.2 is set to absorb the USB 3.0/3.1 branding. So, USB 3.1 Gen 1, which has up to 5 Gbps speeds and was formerly known as USB 3.0, will become USB 3.2 Gen 1. It will have the marketing name of ‘SuperSpeed USB.’

USB 3.1 Gen 2, meanwhile, which supports 10 Gbps, becomes USB 3.2 Gen 2, aka ‘SuperSpeed USB 10 Gbps.’ Finally, the upcoming new spec will be called USB 3.2 Gen 2x2, as it uses two high-speed 10 Gbps lanes—only possible with USB Type-C. Its official name is ‘SuperSpeed USB 20Gbps.’

download.jpg

LOL

More USB nonsense. I still only have exactly two USB 3.0 peripherals. A flash drive and an external HDD enclosure. I'd wager there are millions of tons of USB 2.0 inventory globally. Now they anticipate the new crap going on motherboards this year (and adding to the price, naturally) for peripherals they predict are at least a year away. Sheer lunacy.

And, yeah, they need to get the nerds out of the nomenclature business. LOL

Honestly I don't care what it's called. All that matters to me is, if I plug the thingy into the other thingy, do they play nice or do I have to set up the moodlighting and Kenny G.

I'm not complaining about a faster interface just the naming convention. Some of us have to write about these things and it's bad enough as it is.

i gotcha now that could be a pain for sure.

I'm glad they didn't change the connector again. USB-C is a decent stopping point for now. From what I read the speed increase is simple evolution, the better for us all, and I've seen an implementation of it in my phone charger. Due to some thingy thing about the wiring and connectors, a wall plug inverter is able to charge my phone in less than half the time of the USB-A connectors of the past. YMMV. So Power UP.

The naming is a nightmare. 3.0 will be 3.1 will be 3.2 except gen 1 will be gen 2 but then gen 2x2...

I still haven't gone to usb-c so I guess I shouldn't complain as I'm not even in the game.

i don't get what is so confusing about it. its likely either usb-C or usb A connector either or is backwards compatible all the way back to usb 1.0 devices. vice versa new devices work fine in older usb types some might require adapters but either way.

welcome change, its amazing.

20gb\s you could run a DAS storage unit off of that with no bandwidth issues. all kinds of applications really.

But we already have interfaces that are faster than 20gb\s for people who need or want to do those things.

I think the nomenclature should be cleaned up at least. And the thing that confuses most consumers is what is becoming a multitude of port configurations and sizes that are all USB. The average person associates "USB" with a certain physical shape of connector rather than an electronic bus protocol.

I think the nomenclature should be cleaned up at least. And the thing that confuses most consumers is what is becoming a multitude of port configurations and sizes that are all USB. The average person associates "USB" with a certain physical shape of connector rather than an electronic bus protocol.

Agreed. People already freak out about when to use USB A or B or mini or micro or C. Now the packaging will have USB 3.1 gen 2 at 10 Gbps or 3.2 gen 2 at 10 Gbps or gen 2x2 at 20 Gbps and they're just gonna ask the Geek Squad or a blue shirt or the cashier at the local gas station or WalMart and who knows if they'll get what they need or pay more for a spec they can't use.

People liked that they just got a USB cable and it connected to their phone or other device and they didn't have to wade into the deep end of the tech pool.

And the transfer cables keep getting shorter and thicker.

I guess my whole gripe about this new USB standard boils down to the fact that we already have other connectivity technologies with high speed transfer ability to do the things that this new USB thing seems to want to do - where USB technology seems to be headed. It's mucking up something that used to be simple and useful for what it was created for. USB (Universal Serial Bus) is trying too hard to be universal.

Back