• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Used Mandrake first, now using SuSE. How do I...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jblaven

Get my Prostar Laptop to work at the proper resolution?

But first let me give you a quick run down on how I got into Linux. I downloaded Mandrake from thier site a few months ago. Burned 3 CDRs. Installed Mandrake and the resolution was perfect! I managed to get connected to the net using my network conncetion here at work. BUT I had no info on how to use Linux. So after the success of Mandrake, I decided to buy (gasp!) SuSE Professional 7.3 since it came with manuals that would help me. Now when I installed SuSE, my resolution is not as good as what I had under Mandrake 8.1 Also, I can't figure out how to connect using my network connection. Mandrake and SuSE look very similar, but I am confused why Mandrake set up my resolution correctly and SuSE didn't.

I know this may require a lengthy technical response, but I am at a loss for what to do and Linux is just taking up space on my HD until I can solve these problems.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Joe:confused:

You should be able to get everything exactly how Mandrake had set it up. It sounds more like you or SUSE configured X incorrectly or just set the default resolution lower. Look in your book about configuring X, I don't feel like going through how to do it because it's been discussed many times.

Do Ctrl-Alt-F1 in X and login as root. Type:
init 2
Then press enter. Wait till it finishes working and then type:
sax2

Set up your graphics card again. If this doesn't work still, then I would have a look through some of the past threads in this forum - I can remember loads of different times that someone needed to set up X. Try using the search facility.

Back