• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

VCCIO affect ram oc ? Article suggests otherwise

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rrul

Registered
VCCSA is for the imc but a lot of people automatically group it with VCCIO when talking ram oc-ing.

You always hear " Bump sa/io to 1.25/1.20 " or something along those lines. Like they're integrally connected.

From below it appears io may not be relevant for ram freq or timing oc.

For ring, pcie etc. io is needed, but is it also relevant for ram ?

Does ram make use of the In and Out that vccio powers ?

Article section :
" VCCSA: Starting with the second-generation Core i processors (“Sandy Bridge”), the VTT voltage was renamed to VCCSA, and is called “system agent.” It feeds the integrated PCI Express controller, memory controller, and display engine (i.e., the “2D” part of the graphics engine).
VCCIO: Available starting with the second-generation Core i CPUs (“Sandy Bridge”), this voltage is used for feeding all input/output (I/O) pins of the CPU, except memory-related pins. On CPUs that have this voltage, it is also used to feed the thermal control bus (PECI, Platform Environmental Control Interface). "

Even though it's not required in theory then every Intel generation nowadays needs higher VCCIO to stabilize higher memory settings or maybe everything related which somehow affects stability when also memory runs faster. Tbh. I wasn't really thinking about it as it was always like SA is about 0.1V higher than IO. I usually try to set as low voltages as it's possible and it was usually ending at about 0.1-0.2V difference between these two.
You can check it yourself as it's not a rule. It's more like it was always recommended to bump IO together with SA. When you leave everything at auto in BIOS but set higher memory clock then motherboards are doing exactly that so there is something in this unsigned rule what is more or less required for long years. The architecture of Intel CPUs is not much different for longer.

Thanks, running 1.35 / 1.25 now so thats on point.

Valid point on the Auto settings, if installing faster ram ithe mobo defaults to the same ratio at higher V then it could be there still is some dependency between ram and io.

Just noticed that right on the edge bumping up io never seemed to do anything (even if I had already bumped up sa earlier so the gap was widened)

But will be oc-ing ring last, so will need to bump it eventually. Or see where 1.25 takes it.

Back