• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Vdrop / vdroop

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Albyno

is .056 bad vdroop from bios to load? its about .04 bios to idle on my computer?

and what is the dif between drop and droop?

thanks tim

drop is when you set it as 1.40 in the bios and in windows it shows up as 1.375 droop is when it goes from 1.375 to 1.350 under load.

yes both suck. there are mods out there for most mobos to help this problem. bad droop can hold back a max OC.

oh wow....mine droops like from 1.55 bios to 1.465 idle to 1.383 load....i dont think thats good...

Long story short, when you go from load to idle, the voltage will spike, and the droop prevents the voltage from going too high and shorting your card. The numbers you have are perfectly fine.

thanks for all that sounds like mine inst to bad then.

on a side note does anyone know why my 6 hours stable orthos 3.2 400*8 OC for me e6600 scores lower then when its totaly stock at 2.4 when i use 3dmark06?

atm it gets about 3500 at 3-3.2 at 2.4 it scores 5000 ish. and i have tried 334*9 and 356*9 dont get any difference between that and 400*8.

any ideas? thanks tim

Only time vdroop can hold back you max OC is if you've maxed out your motherboard voltage settings, any doing this kind of hardcore overclocking would probably have a higher end mobo with droop fix to begin with.

thanks for all that sounds like mine inst to bad then.

on a side note does anyone know why my 6 hours stable orthos 3.2 400*8 OC for me e6600 scores lower then when its totaly stock at 2.4 when i use 3dmark06?

atm it gets about 3500 at 3-3.2 at 2.4 it scores 5000 ish. and i have tried 334*9 and 356*9 dont get any difference between that and 400*8.

any ideas? thanks tim

make shure your power supply can handle that draw :beer:

wow thats bad

I have the same on my DS3L.

1.5v BIOS
1.45v idle
1.39v load

that's why I can't get it higher than 3.5GHz without temps going through the roof.

They need to get a vdroop fix for the DS3L :(

Only time vdroop can hold back you max OC is if you've maxed out your motherboard voltage settings, any doing this kind of hardcore overclocking would probably have a higher end mobo with droop fix to begin with.

That's correct. I've found the final load voltage with or without droop (by mod or a BIOS setting like the Asus anti-dropp one) is the same for a given oc. In other words, I can set a droop-less idle and load 1.30V or an idle 1.36V/load 1.30V for the same oc. Temps don't really change, idle might be a degree or two higher if that but it's close. If you're running low voltage so the spikes aren't high, above what would be safe, it shouldn't cause any harm to the CPU. Whether it's good for the VRM section even at lower voltage is another issue and beyond me tbh but from what I gather from the older article on techrepository it's probably not good for them either. at higher voltage it very well could cause a problem.

I understand why Asus included this setting from a 'customer demands it' perspective but it seems like most don't understand why it's there. I stopped worrying about droop and just set higher idle voltage.

I have the same on my DS3L.

1.5v BIOS
1.45v idle
1.39v load

that's why I can't get it higher than 3.5GHz without temps going through the roof.

They need to get a vdroop fix for the DS3L :(

The only thing a droop fix would change is if 1.5V is the max setting, then you could set it to have a higher load voltage. It wouldn't change temps because you'd just be putting the same or more through the CPU, if your temps are going through the roof at a given voltage they'd do that regardless of droop.

That's correct. I've found the final load voltage with or without droop (by mod or a BIOS setting like the Asus anti-dropp one) is the same for a given oc. In other words, I can set a droop-less idle and load 1.30V or an idle 1.36V/load 1.30V for the same oc. Temps don't really change, idle might be a degree or two higher if that but it's close. If you're running low voltage so the spikes aren't high, above what would be safe, it shouldn't cause any harm to the CPU. Whether it's good for the VRM section even at lower voltage is another issue and beyond me tbh but from what I gather from the older article on techrepository it's probably not good for them either. at higher voltage it very well could cause a problem.

I understand why Asus included this setting from a 'customer demands it' perspective but it seems like most don't understand why it's there. I stopped worrying about droop and just set higher idle voltage.

The only thing a droop fix would change is if 1.5V is the max setting, then you could set it to have a higher load voltage. It wouldn't change temps because you'd just be putting the same or more through the CPU, if your temps are going through the roof at a given voltage they'd do that regardless of droop.

Yes your right; I should have clarified. Temps through the roof due to the fact I have to throw more vcore than I would like to so I can get stable due to the vdroop. I could probably set it to 1.425v in the BIOS if it wasn't for the huge vdroop

ok i have a question thats been bugging me for a few weeks now....when you look @ your vcore what do you use as a ...hmmm how should i say this....which vcore is correct BIOS or VID?

IMO, you need to keep track of all three Vcore numbers: Bios setting, idle reading, and 100% loaded Vcore.

Bios is what you set, and Vcore @ load is what you get and this determines the power / heat output. I use idle Vcore as a measure of the highest average voltage, which I set at the upper end of Q6600 spec = 1.375v (@3.52GHz) for 24/7 everyday operation.

There seems to be a fundamental flaw w/ the anandtech article IMO.

Let's say your BIOS setting corresponds to your idle voltage. Let's also say your stable at 1.4v vcore under load. With voltage damper enabled you'll also be at 1.4v at idle. When the voltage spikes going from load to idle the voltage will go higher than if the voltage damper wasn't enabled given the same BIOS setting. However, if you then increase your BIOS setting to 1.45v to compensate so that you'll still be at 1.4v load you'll also be shifting the entire graph up, and the smaller spike will be starting much higher in the graph and may go up just as high as w/ voltage damper enabled.

Edit: Here's some pics to illustrate what I'm talking about.

From the anandtech article, here's what voltage damper looks like.

voltagedamperbe6.jpg

We'll assume 1.25v is needed at load to remain stable. The voltage spikes up to 1.31v.

Now look what happens when I adjust the scale on the graph w/ vdroop to account for the additional voltage needed at load (1.25v) to remain stable:

vdroopmg1.jpg

Again the voltage spikes up to 1.31v...only difference is that now the idle voltage is higher. My CPU is idle more often than load...I'd rather it receive less voltage at idle.

Just my $0.02.

:beer:

Last edited:
At idle, the CPU is just that idle, so low temps and little voltage actually going through the components. In that sense it makes little difference to the CPU, and if your using EIST to save power in idle mode then even less so.

I think you mean less current is going through the components at idle. The voltage is just what it says it is.

EIST doesn't work on my MoBo when I go into manual mode and start OCing. The multi drops, but not the voltage.

Back