• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

venice 3000+ or opty 144?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I am not familiar with the Opty's, but when I asked about two weeks ago, someone told me that the Opty 144 is just slightly below the performance of an A64 3500+, while the 146 would be slightly better of a performer versus the same 3500+ that the Optty 144 was compared to.This info was given by a trusted member, and I would go with the 144 by his advice.

I believe the single core Opty's run cooler than A64 Venice cores, there for making Opty's better OC candidates.I might be wrong, but I highly doubt you'll come even slightly close to reaching 3000mhz with a 300+ venice, but you may(or at leats get close) with an Opty 144.I'd go with the 144, and I'm sure most would agree(unless budget is your main concern)

Last edited:
HeatM1ser2k4 said:
I am not familiar with the Opty's, but when I asked about two weeks ago, someone told me that the Opty 144 is just slightly below the performance of an A64 3500+, while the 146 would be slightly better of a performer versus the same 3500+ that the Optty 144 was compared to.This info was given by a trusted member, and I would go with the 144 by his advice.

I believe the single core Opty's run cooler than A64 Venice cores, there for making Opty's better OC candidates.I might be wrong, but I highly doubt you'll come even slightly close to reaching 3000mhz with a 300+ venice, but you may(or at leats get close) with an Opty 144.I'd go with the 144, and I'm sure most would agree(unless budget is your main concern)
Yes, at stock speeds the 144 will perform just under the Venice 3500, but once overclocked all single core opti's perform the same if they are clocked to the same speed, which makes the 144 a big bargain. The opti's tend to put out more heat than the cooresponding venice core, which may be the result of the larger cache. The better overclocks are not the result of heat, but rather just a result of binning.

rseven said:
Yes, at stock speeds the 144 will perform just under the Venice 3500, but once overclocked all single core opti's perform the same if they are clocked to the same speed, which makes the 144 a big bargain. The opti's tend to put out more heat than the cooresponding venice core, which may be the result of the larger cache. The better overclocks are not the result of heat, but rather just a result of binning.
Aha! I thought the single core opty's ran cooler, hence the better oOC results...good info to know.

HeatM1ser2k4 said:
Aha! I thought the single core opty's ran cooler, hence the better oOC results...good info to know.
i have heard that the optys have better silicon which allow them to o/c better. dont know if thats true though.

basso4735 said:
i have heard that the optys have better silicon which allow them to o/c better. dont know if thats true though.
That is quite possible. I remember hearing a rumor a while back that some of the Opteron chips were just failed FX chips.

Welp, it appears that not all of the 3000+s, 3200+s and 3500+s are Venice, Winchester or Clawhammer anymore. It appears that some of them are Manchesters! It appears that AMD wants to phase out Venices and use crippled Manchesters instead.

RJARRRPCGP said:
Welp, it appears that not all of the 3000+s, 3200+s and 3500+s are Venice, Winchester or Clawhammer anymore. It appears that some of them are Manchesters! It appears that AMD wants to phase out Venices and use crippled Manchesters instead.
would this be a good thing or a bad thing? sorry, i'm not up on all my core names, lol

pejsaboy said:
would this be a good thing or a bad thing? sorry, i'm not up on all my core names, lol

If AMD's selling dual core processors that have one faulty core as single core processors,
then we're more likely to get duds!! :mad:

definitely a bad thing then. i only remembered [from the top of my head] toledo as the x2 core, so i thought maybe there was gonna be some bad@$$ 3000+'s out there. i might lean toward the opteron simply to avoid a crippled dud :)

Well I say grab whats ever cheaper but here are my recomendations:

Used 3200 Venice I just got one with a Stock Opteron heatpiped heatsink for 120$ or a new 144 Opteron depending on what kind of board

Example: 300x9 is only 2.7 and 300 HTT is the upper limit for most boards. A venice 3200 has a 10 multi and can hit 2.7 at 270HTT which almost all A64 boards can do. Just think about this when you buy your chip.

Vengance_01 said:
Well I say grab whats ever cheaper but here are my recomendations:

Used 3200 Venice I just got one with a Stock Opteron heatpiped heatsink for 120$ or a new 144 Opteron depending on what kind of board

Example: 300x9 is only 2.7 and 300 HTT is the upper limit for most boards. A venice 3200 has a 10 multi and can hit 2.7 at 270HTT which almost all A64 boards can do. Just think about this when you buy your chip.
that's definitely something good to keep in mind, but i need a little clarification in regard to it. lets say we've got the opty at 300x9 and the 3200 at 270x10. both are at the same clockspeed, but are they both moving the same amount of information? the amount of what i know and have read tells me that the opty at 300htt is going to move more because 300>270. of course, that may not be the case with the k8 chips, which is why i ask.

Back