• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Video Card Replacement

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Arcane

Registered
thought I should post my recent experience...you know when department stores offer you the a replacement warranty??? i recently found out it's really worth it...especially if you o/c or mod your card...i don't know if buying the replacement warranty is common practice for you guys, but it's not for me...but when i bought the ti4600 i thought i should just to be safe...well, apparently i damaged the core trying to scrape off the aa adhesive off...my card wouldn't work properly so i just went back to the store where i acquired the card from and said "hey, it doesn't work"...they said okay and within 25 mins i was walking out with my new card...(i would've been out sooner if the sales guy wasn't helping another customer before me :))...and i was able to get another warranty on it too...so, if you buy you card from a retail store, get the warranty and o/c in peace...

WarriorII said:
I don't know who, here (in the fourms) to credit this to:

LMAO!

Good Advice.
:cool:

haha...yeah, i figured the less information they know, the better off i'll be:p

Arcane said:
thought I should post my recent experience...you know when department stores offer you the a replacement warranty??? i recently found out it's really worth it...especially if you o/c or mod your card...i don't know if buying the replacement warranty is common practice for you guys, but it's not for me...but when i bought the ti4600 i thought i should just to be safe...well, apparently i damaged the core trying to scrape off the aa adhesive off...my card wouldn't work properly so i just went back to the store where i acquired the card from and said "hey, it doesn't work"...they said okay and within 25 mins i was walking out with my new card...(i would've been out sooner if the sales guy wasn't helping another customer before me :))...and i was able to get another warranty on it too...so, if you buy you card from a retail store, get the warranty and o/c in peace...

thats the reason the card cost so f****** much, you screwed up , but ya did not want to take the blame, if you gonna take the risk be ready to pay the price if ya screw up

cisco kid

actually i thought that buying the warranty gave me the right to replace it...i have read it over and it doesn't say it becomes void if a modification was made to the card...the VisionTek warranty says that, but I didn't go to them...sometimes, it pays to read to the warranty...maybe you should've thought about that before bagging on me....***

oh, i forgot to add...visiontek sets the price in the first place, even before it hits the retail market, and the price is usually higher because of their name...and furthermore...it's the strongest (not necessarily the best card) on the market, it should cost more than everything else... and i doubt that people would return a card to the without the heatsink attached and the core covered with a little aa adhesive and say they didn't mod it...

Last edited:
Re: Re: Video Card Replacement

Cisco Kid said:

thats the reason the card cost so f****** much, you screwed up , but ya did not want to take the blame, if you gonna take the risk be ready to pay the price if ya screw up

cisco kid

I don't really agree with that. If you pay for an extended warranty, then thats what you should get. Now if he did that to the card, then took it back under the regular warranty I would agree. I know Circuit City used to have an extended warranty program(might still) for like $70 a year, and you could smash the item with a hammer and take it back and they'd replace it.

haha...yeah, i figured the less information they know, the better off i'll be

That is why I was to use your words "bagging on you", if you thought you had a legitimate claim for defective merchandise, you wouldn't have to worry about what was "better for you".

I am not looking to make an issue at of this, so if you're comfortable with your actions, then maybe I'm the one in the wrong.

SkyHook said:

That is why I was to use your words "bagging on you", if you thought you had a legitimate claim for defective merchandise, you wouldn't have to worry about what was "better for you".

I am not looking to make an issue at of this, so if you're comfortable with your actions, then maybe I'm the one in the wrong.

i wasn't referring to you in the post...however, i understand the post you just made...what i meant to say is that, if they asked what happened to make it stop working, i wouldn't have any qualms with telling them because i didnt' do anything to void "their" warranty...but i thought that if i brought up the mods, then they would say that they won't be able to exchange it...which would lead to me pointing out the details of their warranty, and how visiontek's warranty isn't in conjunction with theirs...where they would probably get there manager involved and would end up having to argue with him...in either case, i wouldv'e gotten the card, it's just that one way would have caused more trouble and more time...hope that better explains my comment, i guess i should've put more thought into it before i posted it...

I Do Understand

I do truly understand your point of view, and if you were entitled to a replacement under the circumstances and they didn't ask any question I say "fine". With that explanation, there is no need to involve store management, however with this form of communications you must admit that the reader has to kind of read between the lines, and what I was reading was someone who thought they had pulled a fast one.

For my misreading of your original post I apologize.

SkyHook

Re: I Do Understand

SkyHook said:
I do truly understand your point of view, and if you were entitled to a replacement under the circumstances and they didn't ask any question I say "fine". With that explanation, there is no need to involve store management, however with this form of communications you must admit that the reader has to kind of read between the lines, and what I was reading was someone who thought they had pulled a fast one.

For my misreading of your original post I apologize.

SkyHook

no apology is necessary...it's kinda hard to really express your point without voice inflection or pitch change, etc...i was in no means bragging, i just thought i would share my experience in case anyone buys anything from a retail store and is offered an extended warranty...you do have to make sure that it doesn't anything about mods...it was just a simple misunderstanding...no hard feelings...i apologize if i sound like i was getting defensive...it's just a character flaw i have :)

OK so the lesson here is,

A: Don't expect to get something for nothing.

B: Regardless of A, if you pay extra for a service, expect that service.

Sounds like good advice.

(I am a big believer in being fair, if I pay for a service, It better be good, If I don't pay for something, I expect nothing. Just the Golden rule. I treat others how I would like to be cheated... err treated.) ;)

Back