• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Vista backup drive image question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Lonew0lf

Hi,

I am upgrading the hdd in my laptop, 80gb to 250gb. I will also be performing a clean install of the OS to get rid of all the s**t HP loads onto it from factory.

After installing Vista Home Premium and activating I would like to create a backup image that I can use for subsequent reloads. On my XP machine I do this via Norton Ghost, but the software will not run on my laptop, + no floppy drive, + no dvd writer.

I plan on creating two partitions on my new hdd, 80gb for os/programs and the rest for data/downloads/work/music/video etc... I will store the backup image on the second partition.

I have heard that Vista includes a backup image generator that will create an image of the partition, but can't find out that much about the program itself.

Will the Vista tool create an image that I can use to re-install the OS later just like Norton Ghost does for my XP machine? This way I can reinstall as many times as I like without reactivating with Microsoft.

Thanks

Back