• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Water Cooled Bitfenix Prodigy

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Sorry for the lack of updates, I've been using my comptuer for well, computer things for the past couple days. However, I do have a different power supply on its way it is a SeaSonic X Series X650 Gold.

I have also been talking with Dennis from Danger Den about constructing a custom fan shroud for the top of my case like I have been looking for. I'm hoping to have some details about that today.

As far as total cost, I'm not entirely sure, let me try to work it up I'll get back with that in a bit.

how much is this build cost ?

I went to a local water cool pc builder and he charged quite high for service charge and i do not know whether the parts he sell are overprice

It looks like if you wanted to build my same system it might run you about $1800

however, I have not spent quite that much as I save a good amount by winning the case in a contest, purchasing the cpu and motherboard together at microcenter, I got a good deal on the first powersupply on the classifieds, purchasing some things on sale, the caviar black hard drive was free from an rma and not to forget Danger Den sponsorship by donating the blocks and some barbs.
I think overall I have saved approx $500.

Well, I've got the new powersupply in, I'll have to play with the modular cables a bit because the psu is sticking out maybe 1/4 of an inch, I'll get pics up in a bit. Also, I was testing the system running both Prime95 and Furmark at stock speeds for about 30 minutes the GPU temp peaked at 59c and the cpu was at about 50c.
I think the sensors are reading one of the cores wrong because the one core is reading 10c lower than the rest and at idle is showing 19-21c which is right about or below ambient.

I'm really happy with quality of cooling I'm getting right now I think the Danger Den blocks and sr1 rads are working great together. I'm going to play a bit with overclocking for right now.

I've remounted my hsf a couple times, as I also have a core that is 5-7c (was 7-9c) below the other cores on my 3570K; I recall seeing a spec sheet for how the cpu is laid out, and I want to say the core that runs cooler is the furthest away from the IMC? or something like that... I dunno, someone will come along and tell me that I'm kinda right or really wrong lol...

Either way, you've got a sweet build, can't wait to see pics with the new psu!!!

It doesn't suck, but tables aren't really meant for sigs. I'd recommend putting them in top/bottom text only

Components: cpu, mb, RAM, GPU, etc
Cooling: blocks, rads, etc.​

As for the system, it looks awesome; especially with the PSU more on the inside. :)

I know its been a while since I had any updates. I've been having too much fun actually using my computer lol.
But my fun came crashing recently at a lan party when my 670 decided to take a crap. It is currently in the rma process.
In the mean-time, I talked with Joe from Frozencpu.com and they were able to produce a bolt-on window kit compatible with the prodigy, you can find them here So that will be my next stage in this build, now rebuild? My windows should arrive today and I'll probably get to work on them over the weekend.

I also took advantage of dangerden's closeout sale and purchased a shim kit for my cpu block, in Martin's review of the block it seemed he was able to increase performance with some of the shims. I will also take the time to switch thermal pastes and make sure I get a better application. I have a tube of MX-2 that I think I'll try out, unless someone has a better suggestion ( I was previously using AS5)

Well, I finally got around to installing one of the windows, I lost the mounting hardware I got for it from frozencpu. Instead I used the mounting hardware from a cooler master centurion case I had laying around, I managed to lose one to the abyss of my basement while shaving it down with my dremel. I wonder where I could get more from, I quite like the look.
Alos the hole for the window needs a tiny bit of trimming still, but that is an easy fix. I think I did pretty good for my fist winow mod.

Let me know what you guys think.
2012-12-08_15-54-42_439.jpg

Nice, we needed some updates :D
Looking good!
I caught my gf staring at a Prodigy ad on her FB so I might get to buy one soon...it's 'approved' lol
Only thing is I got a matx MVG on its way here, which will require some mad modding skills to fit, so for now my cm 690 will do.

That looks great!

Ivan, I'm sorry to say the chances of fitting an MVG in there are at or extremely close to zero.

Hi, sorry for reviving this old thread (and for my first post too...). This is really a great build, congratulations! I'm new to watercooling and would like to put together something like it. I'm a bit hesitant to take the plunge, would you say it's easy enough to to do? I have no problem putting computers together, just never done any watercooled stuff before. You were able to pull this off without doing any mods to the case, right? (apart from optional cosmetic ones like the window). Also, do you think it's possible to fit in 1 SSD + 2 standard 3.5" drives (2x2TB)?

Thanks a lot, and great work!
Greg

Welcome 441211,

Start by reading this Sticky this will give you a good insight as to where to start and if you're comfortable doing the cooling. and I would recommend starting your own thread to get the most attention to your questions.

Hi, sorry for reviving this old thread (and for my first post too...). This is really a great build, congratulations! I'm new to watercooling and would like to put together something like it. I'm a bit hesitant to take the plunge, would you say it's easy enough to to do? I have no problem putting computers together, just never done any watercooled stuff before. You were able to pull this off without doing any mods to the case, right? (apart from optional cosmetic ones like the window). Also, do you think it's possible to fit in 1 SSD + 2 standard 3.5" drives (2x2TB)?

Thanks a lot, and great work!
Greg

I don't think I would recommend a build this tight for a first time watercooler. It was tough to fit it all in there.

The case will indeed fit an ssd and 2x 3.5 drives, there are multiple locations besides the hdd mounts to put a ssd in this case.

Its a nice build, im sorry to see the ZT series does ZT550watt for my prodigy.

Cant believe its so big. I dont remember my ZT750 being that big.

Back