• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Watercooling a AMD 1.4GHz

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Silver.C.

Registered
Ello,
I am putting together a 1.4GHz Tbird system and I have a question about cooling. I have pretty much decided that I would like to cool my system with water but that is where I get a little lost. Because I have never done anything like this before, much less build a computer. So I'm kinda baptising myself in fire so to speak.

I like the products that Danger Den has but I am not too sure about how it all works. With other companies when you get/or make a kit you need a radiator to bring the heat out of the case etc. I was thinking of putting together my own kit from DD and using the MAZE2-2 copper block. It says that you can put a peltier in it between the block and the cold pad, but I am not sure about this. I looked on their pre-made kits and none of them had radiators, just pelts. On that note how does it work? Does the pelt cool off the water instead of a radiator? If this is sort of how it works does the case get hot at all? At this point I am totally confused, so if anyone can point me in the right direction or give me a tip I would like that.

Furthermore is Danger Den a good company to make a watercooling set from? I am all new to this so if anyone could elaborate on any of these points I would appreciate it a alot.

Thanks

-Julian

Welcome to the forum Silver.C.. Around these here parts we post in the proper forums. This post belongs in the cooling forum. You will get your answers quicker in there being that people that are interested in cooling and the like are more likely to be in their.

That being said again welcome to the forum its a great place with tons of knowledgeable people and I'm sure that you'll find the answers to all your questions.

BTW if you use the search feature I'm sure you will find a lot of posts on water cooling and danger den.

Enjoy your stay.

Umm, not to be an *** or anything but the idea of posting in this forum was to get more responces and a larger field of ideas, not to be criticised for using the incorrect forum. I also posted in the cooling forum about 3 seconds after I did here...

Silver.C. (Jul 13, 2001 01:53 p.m.):
Umm, not to be an *** or anything but the idea of posting in this forum was to get more responces and a larger field of ideas, not to be criticised for using the incorrect forum. I also posted in the cooling forum about 3 seconds after I did here...

Well...welcome to the forums. This is a great place to get help and ideas! This place does have some "rules" however. Posting in the wrong forum to "get more responses" and posting the same question in multiple forums are frowned upon. Oh..."colorful" language is highly discouraged!

If your just building your first computer, you may want to put watercooling on hold, too much too fast. If you feel your up to task though, be my guest. To answer some of your questions:
a.) No, you don't not want a peltier.....yet. Wait till you are comfortable with your pc and watercooling system first. A peltier is like a heat pump. It pumps heat from its bottom side to its top (the bottom being the "coldside" the top being the "hotside"). So while the peltier is cooling your processor with its cold side, you must cool the hotside with watercooling (a heatsink/fan will not work in this setup). You also need to get a power supply for it and blah blah blah, like I said, wait on this.

b.) Yes dangerden has good stuff. Most users on here I believe have a maze2 and cooling cube radiator (if you want your cooling set-up all inside your case, make sure this thing fits first, it's pretty big!). You will also need a fan on the radiator. I would suggest purchasing a 120mm Fan from 2cooltek. I like the Panaflo L1A cause it's not loud, but if noise doesn't bother you that much, try one with a higher CFM rating (this is how much air the fan moves).

c.) you will also need a pump which you can purchase here aquatictech. The mag drive 7 is said to be a good choice. The rios have good prices, but they don't have the quality of the mag-drives. (I have a Rio600, and I'm not pleased with it at all. If you do get a rio at least choose one with a much higher flowrate.)

d.) A reservoir for the pump and water. Electrical Junction boxes at Home depot serve this purpose well.

e.)Have fun!

Thank you. That should sum it up in two words quite nicely. As far as up to the challange, it is for a High School Senior project so its not supposed to be easy =o) As I get further I am sure I will have many more questions, as it was it took me about 2 weeks of on and off work to find good prices for the rather long list of things I am putting in it. As far as the radiator goes I dont mind sound because I am sure that the Klipsch Promedia 5.1 should muffle that nicely.
Besides I would like that hot air to be outside of my case if possable.

Once again thanks for your time to reply.

Tachyon (Jul 13, 2001 02:13 p.m.):
Well...welcome to the forums. This is a great place to get help and ideas! This place does have some "rules" however. Posting in the wrong forum to "get more responses" and posting the same question in multiple forums are frowned upon. Oh..."colorful" language is highly discouraged!

I have been posting in this forum for all of about 1 day, so I am sorry if I have not had a chance to gather the edicate, guess im a slow learner...

I was wondering, what does your system consist of? With a 1.4ghz tbird and klipsch speakers, it sounds like you are putting together one hell of a machine! If your kind of new you should check out the side stuff, I have learned so much from this site and from members in the forum.

BTW- Welcome to the forum! And post in the proper sections! (jk) =D

Daniel ~ (Jul 13, 2001 05:59 p.m.):
Moved post to "Cooling" Topic
Thanks Daniel... Though it was bit confusing when my thread moved, thought you delted it cuz it was in there.

As far as this system goes its alot for me to take on, and it is supposed to be this way because it is for a High School senior Project (have to pass on it or ya dont grad.) Well here goes the mighty long list of components.

Antec SX1030B SOHO Fileserver case with 2 fans added and a new PS)
AMD Athlon? 1.4GHz (266 FSB)
*Most likely a Danger den based water cooling system
Asus A7A266 or Epox EP-8K7A+ (ATX)
Three 20.4 Seagate HD's
Micron Technology 256MB PC2100 DDR RAM1
Toshiba 16x DVD-ROM 58x Read
Sanyo 24x10x40 CD Writer
Samsung Floppy
Creative Labs SoundBlaster Live! Platinum 5.1
U.S. RObotics 56k v.90
Iomega Internal ZIP 250
Princeton EO900-2 19" Monitor
ATI Radeon 64MB DDR VIVO
Klipsch Promedia 5.1 (available August sometime)
Microsoft Natural Keyboard
Linksys EtherFast 10/100 NIC

All of this for around $2300

Back