• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Watercooling-To tank or not

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

NUTNDUN

I just ordered my Inwinq600 case and getting ready to order my water cooling system, and I don't know if it would be better to add a water tank along with the Eihem water pump, I'm guessing it will probably help. Also will a regular 300 watt psu power a 156watt pelt, I know they use more voltage the 12v alot of times but I don't wanna have to spend another $100 on another power supply from radio shack, but if I have to I guess I will........oh the love for the puter no wonder the wifey gets mad.......LOL

I use an Rio pump converted to run as an inline. A small "tank" was created out of 2"pvc pipe fittings on the inlet side to keep the impellor submerged at all times. Other than the purpose stated I do not think you get any extra benefit from a tank. You will need more power for the pelt. They really like 14-16V. Your temps as posted are pretty good right now.

Hey XJ,
I appreciate the reply, then main reason I'm going to switch to water is so I don't have this tornado in my room anymore, it's hard to hear the wife when she is sitting within 5 foot (could be selective hearing ;) Right now I have two Sunnon HO 92mm on the side, a sunnon HO 80mm in bottom front, YS Tech 120mm on top, teo enermax psu fans, and the cpu fan. Was nice at first since it was a new toy but it's getting old, plus with the water setup I can always go with a pelt in the future.

Use tank.
And you need bigger psu. Your pelt needs 12A , not many 300W psu can do that 24/7, and your pelt will probably cool better with higher voltage than 12V (depends on rating).

NUTNDUN (Feb 18, 2001 10:54 p.m.):
I just ordered my Inwinq600 case and getting ready to order my water cooling system, and I don't know if it would be better to add a water tank along with the Eihem water pump, I'm guessing it will probably help. Also will a regular 300 watt psu power a 156watt pelt, I know they use more voltage the 12v alot of times but I don't wanna have to spend another $100 on another power supply from radio shack, but if I have to I guess I will........oh the love for the puter no wonder the wifey gets mad.......LOL

I use an Inwin Q600, and in it I run a DangerDen milled-copper waterblock, 80-watt potted Peltier, 2"x2"x3/8" copper coldplate, and an Eheim 1046 pump in a no-reservoir closed loop. I run the Peltier off a Power One SPL1012-250 250-watt (adjustable output, 21A @ 12VDC, derating to 17A @ 15VDC) industrial switching supply I bought off eBay for less than $20, INCLUDING shipping. (They sell new for $345 from Digi-Key.) The supply output was adjusted to 85% of the Peltier's rated maximum voltage, and is pulling about 68 watts, right in the peak of its efficiency curve.

In Windows 2000 Pro (which has a built-in CPU idler thread, acting as a software CPU cooler) my processor temp drops to -15 deg C. If I leave it to its own devices (read: idling, nothing runing, nobody using it) the processor temp can get below -20 deg C.

Bottom line: A reservoir is optional.

oO

Back