• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

WC in Mid-size towers - pics please

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Chez

Hi, I've just ordered my kit (All 1/2" fittings and tubing) -

OCPC "The Deep" Rev2 Radiator
OCPC Atlantis GF4 Block
OCPC Atlantis CPU Block
OCPC Atlantis Chipset Block
Eheim 1250 Pump

I'm now thinking about where to put it all in my case and really need some advice.

My case is a Lian-Li PC65 mid-tower.

Has anyone else managed to fit a similar kit into their mid-tower case, does anyone have any pics??

My thoughts so far -

Rad - Take out 2 x 80mm fans at the front and replace with radiator and 120mm fan OR place in top 2 drive bays, with hole cut in top of case.

Pump - depends where I put the Rad really, but this pump looks quite big!!!

Thanks in advance
Chez

That's gonna be hella hard. What you'll have to do is to take out the whole bottom rack, which leaves you no space for HD's... those Lian-Li's are a pain when it comes to watercooling.

That pump is really huge... we are talking 1/2 foot long... it's gonna be hard to put it in, good luck. :)

I don't actually need the bottom rack (at the moment).

I've got a FDD and 1 HDD. I'm going to be replacing the HDD with 2 S-ATA drives in RAID-0, so the most 3.5" spaces I'll need is 3 (which there is above the removable rack).

I have thought about this a bit and decided to drill out the rivets that hold the HDD rack mounting in place, then if I need to use it again in future, I can just screw it back in.

If push comes to shove, could I just sit the pump behind my case?? I'm not really into LANs, so probably won't be moving it around too much. I'd like to keep it within the case as much as possible, just so it looks neater.

its possible to put anything exterior to the system provided you can think up a means to do that. having parts go exterior usually results in the need for large holes to be cut in the backside of the case. here, metal hole punches work MUCH better than large size drill bits...

I'm quite happy to put a couple of holes in the back of my case.

I'll either use a drill or a dremel if I take that route.

has anyone got any pics of their mid-tower water cooled case??

Someone must have done this???

I've had a look there, that's given me a few ideas!!

Anyone got any pics?? The more ideas the better!!!

Thanks
Chez

SkiFletch said:
here, metal hole punches work MUCH better than large size drill bits...

With the soft aluminium of a Lian Li case I find it's easiest to simply use a good quality spade bit... however, do not try this on a regular steel case as it'll eat your poor bit for lunch.

why not use...

hey chez why not use two black ice micros and an eheim 1046?
i have the lian-li pc61 and am about to watercool it, all self contained. the two micros are gonna go behind the two front intake fans and the pump will fit easily into the bottom of the case.
just a thawt :D
rick.

I have the KingWin KT463 or Directron SF 201-T.

This case is almost a replica of the Lian-Li, and I am putting a W/C system in it as we speak.

I'm using the Chevy heatercore, an Aqua-Via 1300 pump, and a TC4 / some other Radeon 9700 block.

It is an extremly tight fit, but it all fits in. I even shrouded the heatercore (we used calculus and trig to find the max. area I could make it)

I'll post pics in a few days when it's done.

It's possible, just a pain in the butt!

-Drewhttp://www.motherboards.org/articlesd/hardware-reviews/1195_2.html

It's going to be a tight fit Here are a fwe pics of my setup in a PC-60

P00009654.jpg

P00009601.jpg

Hope that give you a idea.

Asteroth - thanks for the thought anyway!!! LOL

Technogeeky - that case does look very similar. Where abouts are you planning to mount the rad and pump?

Crappy - That's probably how I'm going to try mine. What pump is that? is it a 1046/8?? I think the 1250 is a bit bigger!!!

Chez said:
Crappy - That's probably how I'm going to try mine. What pump is that? is it a 1046/8?? I think the 1250 is a bit bigger!!!

That is a 1048 pump in there. The 1250 is bigger. Like I said there is not alot of room.

Well, I've just done my very first case mod and am no longer scared of taking to my shiny case with a dremel!!!

I cut away most of the fan filter holder at the front to allow more airflow and have drilled out the rivets on the HDD rack mounting and top case panel and replaced them with screws.

Can't wait for my kit to arrive so I can start putting it all together! Won't be until Friday though! (crap UK postal system!)

Any more pics anyone???

Last edited:
Crappy how did you remove the bottom part to let the black ice extreme fit on the Lian Li? I know that the bottom rack can be removed (it's screw mounted) but the slightly raised area where the speaker is is riveted. Did you forcefully remove it or what?

Hope you don't mind me stepping in here, but I've already done that mod to my case.

Simply drill out the rivets holding it in place with a 3mm drill bit and replace them with 3mm nuts and bolts, works well and lets you use the rack again if you need to.

HTH
Chez

EDIT - The speaker simply unscrews underneath and slides out, this leaves a few raised "cout-outs" from the case floor. You can either try and flatten these, cut them off or work around them.

Back