• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Weather cooled down - my Barton is sporting 2.5 GHz again. All right!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

c627627

c(n*199780) Senior Member
Summer hit and I started getting Internet Exploder errors pictured below due to unstable overclock @ 2.5 GHz. Had to lower the OC for the hot summer but now with the colder weather, it's back to 2.5 GHz again.

Interestingly the unstable OC did not affect Firefox. [side note: I switched to Firefox completely now that I found a Favorites add on. My many web links have custom icons and there's no way to convert those to Firefox Bookmarks so I sometimes used the Exploder but no more with PlainOldFavorites add-on.]

2.5 is nicer than 2.4 :). Yeah, waitin' for X38-Penryn or Eaglelake-Nehalem or AMD equivalent to upgrade from nForce2-Barton. Didn't feel like redoing operating system partitions Drive Image files until I absolutely had to so I kept prolonging the upgrade. Nehalem is really the jump I want but maybe it will be compatible with X38 chipset, so I can do X38-Penryn then just swap out the Penryn with Nehalem and use the same Drive Image files, because it would be the same mobo chipset.

I guess it's now official that AMD will not have a horse in the race to compete as far as big overclocks go.

[200] FSB x 12.5 = 2500 MHz @ 1.85 Vcore with memory frequency at 100% [200 FSB] @ 2.90 Vdimm and 1.6 Vdd
Epox 8RDA3+ v2.1, BIOS 07/29/2004
Thermalright SLK-900A with 80x38mm Delta EFB0812HHE fan
AIW 9600XT 128MB; Antec SX-835II case ; 380W Antec TruePower2 TPII-380
Five 80x25mm Case Fans

Attachments

• IExploderError.jpg
    IExploderError.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 331
Because upgrade is not a simple process for me, (it takes me days to setup a multi boot with multiple operating systems just the way I like), I was looking to see when to jump, since nForce2-Barton @ 2.5 GHz was doing the job just fine.

I gathered 2008 AMD Kuma & AMD Propus CPUs will not be able to compete and I guess it'll be a while before we start hearing about their successors.

So the main question before upgrading is, what will AMD have when Intel Nehalem hits?

Nehalem is big because:

"Unlike Penryn, which is mostly a die shrink of the 65nm Core architecture, Nehalem was designed from the outset to take full advantage of the 45nm Hi-k process while leveraging off the Core microarchitecture. Nehalem brings multi-threading back, and has improved dynamic power management.

Intel is adding what it calls "Enhanced Dynamic Acceleration Technology" to Nehalem - basically what it does is automatically overclock some cores to a clock rate above the "Guaranteed (marked) Frequency" when neighboring cores are not fully utilized - this way some cores can be running code faster than the rated clock speed if the code is not multi-threaded enough to keep all cores occupied at the marked frequency.

Frankly, this is an excellent idea, one that will help with older software - for example, games that still use single threaded engines - and it will also greatly benefit high core count processors as even those software vendors that have started shipping multi-threaded software are not yet taking full advantage of many cores..."

So I'm thinking if AMD is as good bad as what they look to be having soon, then Nehalem will be the way to go.

And if Nehalem is compatible with X38 chipset, then I could get X38 chipset + a Penryn CPU then just swap Nehalem when it arrives without redoing the all important Drive Image files.

AMD will be sporting the bulldozer my friend. A ground up core and platform design. Following afterwards is AMD fusion. Can you say a CPU part GPU physics game rendering behemoth ?

Next year will be VERY fun :D

Oh yea that's right, now I remember hearing about those but only as far as the names.

You got any links about Bulldozer / Fusion?

What's the current time line on those?

Neha isn't socket compatible with Penryn.
Bulldozer comes even later than Neha H1 2009 if doesn't end up as K10, since this "launch" I have little faith that they can deliver according to their future plans.

Thank you for posting.

Where did you hear about Nehalem requiring a new socket? So Eaglelake will be compatible with Nehalem but not X38?

As for AMD, hm... so earliest AMD could be back in the game is mid to late 2009?

Well Neha comes with Point to point Interconnect which replaces FSB, also high end has IMC so chipset compatibility isn't possible.

Intel released some info about it, does not confirm the new socket just clarifies what it is supposed to deliver. LINK
Xbitlabs collected the rumors. LINK

That makes sense. I'll read all the links posted in the thread.

Is Eaglelake the name of the chipset that will support Nehalem then?

Bulldozer / Fusion timeframe would then correspond to Nehalem, 2009, except AMD may be a bit later into 2009 as things stand now would you say?

Eaglelake seems to be a new Wolfdale, Yorkfield chipset so not for Nehalem.

My guess is as good as anyone's regarding the new architecture's release date, but I find it easier for Intel to meet the deadlines.
Both architecture are new for their makers but both has help, Intel probably has torn apart all existing K8 steppings to learn as much as possible, while AMD has experience with the separate power from K10 and with the gpgu ATI's R600 stands as example.

Intel has at least 2 years from C2D till Nehalem, AMD is still working on K10 steppings and most likely will for a while to match penryn, but at best they have 1.5 years.

Intel delivered C2D and seems Penryn as well in time while Brisbane and K10 both come late and you see what's going on with the K10 steppings.

Of course neither of them will release if not a must just like Intel waits with Penryn might wait with Nehalem and tweak it till the last moment.
Neither of them can come too soon as both are quite exciting.

Thanks for posting Kuroimaho.

Yesterday Inq was mentioning "...until Nehalem next September." http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=42369 That's way too early, I don't see that as being correct.

Socket H is what desktop Nehalem will use. Tylersburg chipset is what they call it. One of the other links says that
"Tylersburg chipset will be designed specifically for Nehalem based desktop systems. It will be more economical and will have more PCI Express lines. The chipset will support new series processor bus aka CSI with point-to-point topology, which will be introduced in the future generation Intel processors."

These will be tested in Oct 2008 they say. That would put their availability 1H 2009.

Whereas AMD Bulldozer is Q4 2009 at the earliest as it stands now.

Seems the IDF confirms neha is on track taped out and already capable of running programs.

Penryn was pushed back as K10 got later so Nehalem launch depends on AMD as well.
If they can make faster Penryn might milk it away till the end of the year especially if Neha has nothing to fear from C2D.

Hopefully bulldozer can be finished sooner but more importantly I wish they had some tricks up their sleeves what gives it the edge over the monster Intel is breeding.

Wednesday 19 September 2007, 16:08

Nehalem, already packed for testing. Architecture was completed just a month ago, and lads recently got the silicon back.
Surprisingly enough, it ran Windows XP and Mac OS X without a hassle, which was demonstrated during keynote sessions. Good thing for debugging crowd was the fact that Nehalem was packed in bog standard 775 packaging, same one that Intel used for shipping hundreds of millions of processors to this date.

When it comes to backward compatibility, Intel's reps were quite cautious, since there is a lot of unknown things with this pup. From what we could conclude, compatibility with older chipsets is a pipe-dream, rather expect one generation backward compatibility and that's about that. In case of Nehalem, there is a pretty good chance that it will work with P35 and X38 generation of motherboards - once that desktop version gets its shape.

The high end Neha has IMC the mainstream won't so the latter one might work with current chipsets but I expect the former to be what we are really looking for, and that needs more pins and won't work with current NBs.

What's this about an X48 chipset now coming out at the same time as X38?

Anyway, this heatwave is going to last so rather than wait for cold weather again, I decided to try to deal with the dust to try to lower my temperature.

I succeeded and lowered the CPU temperature by 13° Celsius (!) but at great cost:
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?p=5265295

Still holding on to that trusty barton I see ;)
I had to make the jump as running Winavi as often as I do was just completely hogging the entire cpu resource for hours on end!

If you still have an Athlon XP then why don't you just jump up to dual core Opty's or something? They overclock like crazy and will definitely blow out your rig. Dual Opty with the 10x multi goes for $120 shipped from the egg. Plus you can still use you DDR.

Don't chase tech, let tech find you.

Back