• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Weird rebooting behavior with HPET being disabled on MSI B450m gaming plus

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

login211

I thought I would post some bizarre behave I noticed on my MSI B450m gaming plus in regards to HPET(High Precision Event Timer). I'm using an AMD ryzen 5 2400G however I do have a discrete GPU.

I noticed that sometimes I would restart windows and the computer would shutdown, reboot (the fan speeds were an indicator) and then the screen would just go to sleep; my monitor's indicator LED goes yellow when the screen shuts off due to inactivity. Even with my TV connected as the main display, the computer wouldn't reboot properly (the screen shuts down after a few seconds). What's also strange is that hitting the reboot button while the computer is in this limbo state, reboots the computer however the screen starts up and shuts down again. The only way to reboot at this point is to do a cold restart.

I did find a way to replicate this issue 100% of the time. When I'm selecting what OS to boot into using GRUB upon starting the computer and I reboot the computer at that point using CTRL+ALT+DEL, the reboot process does not work properly.

Long story short: if HPET is DISABLED on my computer, the reboot process does not work correctly. When HPET is ENABLED, the reboot process works correctly. BTW this improper reboot behavior occurs with default BIOS settings + HPET=DISABLED so overclocking is not an issue here.

I recently got rid of my Gibabyte GA-AB350n-gaming-wifi and it did not have any rebooting issues due to HPET being disabled at all though I must point out that I did not have a discrete GPU at that time.

Skip to 33:45 to get to the action. Pretty sure this addresses your particular issue... but then again maybe not.

Question: why don't you just leave HPET enabled?

Skip to 33:45 to get to the action. Pretty sure this addresses your particular issue... but then again maybe not.

Question: why don't you just leave HPET enabled?

Sleep bug? That sounds about right I would say.

Well I don't know how it's going to be now with a discrete GPU in my system but in my old setup I would get about 59 fps, instead of 65 fps, in the cinebench opengl test when HPET is enabled.

It's not really a big deal actually, I just wanted to put this information out there.

I'm still exploring this board, I post back if i discover anything...

I have had in the past similar behavior but didn't track it down to HPET my BIOS doesn't have an option so it's always enabled. What I found was that Win10 and it's fast start mode wasn't initializing the GPU driver. I went to the power options>buttons and disabled fast startup and disabled fast boot in BIOS and have never had a problem since.

Back