• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Well, I found this out the hard way.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Oni

Oni-ni-Kanab;, Ninja Hippo eater Moderator
I've been running a Thermalright SLK-947U on my old Epox for quite some time now. It's nice.

I got my DFI Infinity in the mail today, and thought 'It'll be a nice, easy crossover' . . . . boy, was I wrong.

With the old mounting bracket, the SLK-947U doesn't fit on the Infinity. It warps the board 'cause there are too many things underneath the socket (not the case w/ my Epox) for the old bracket to fit nice, thus warping the board and causing a non-boot.

Unfortunately, I didn't know this at the time. With any luck, I didn't kill my board. I'm getting a lug-mounted sink tomorrow to test with.

But there's hope! Thermalright has made a new mounting bracket that addresses the issue of too many things on the underside of the CPU socket. Unfortunately, the only place I know where to get it from is out of stock right now, and I don't know the ETA on the item.

So, just a warning to anybody who is thinking of using this heatsink (or another model w/ the same mounting bracket) on their new Infinity. Hopefully, I'll save a board or two.

Here's hoping mine isn't dead.

Back