• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What an Awesome find!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Breadfan

Inactive Moderator
This is just cool...was taking some trash to the local landfill for my parents, and I found this awesome resevior for a watercooling system. It rocks becuase this summer I plan on getting my watercooling setup, so this is a great step in the right direction.

I've got no idea where it came from or what it used to hold...I've cleaned it out pretty thoroughly, and I'm gonna let it sit with some biocide in it. As you can see in the pic though, its got three openings on top...two which would be great for water line hoses, and a bigger on towards the middle that would be good for a pump maybe, plus adding water.

Looks to be somewhere between 3-5 gallons in capacity as well...so its not a "put it in your case" deal, but thats ok, its pretty cool still!

If anyone knows what it is and if they're commerically available, some others here might be interested in picking one up.

Mike

Cool find, I found an old plastic beer making drum in the back shed about 20 litres might do the same job.

Reclamation landfills are fantastic. I "shopped" the one in Mannassas yesterday and found a motorcycle frame, a toyota radiator and some scrap metal. If you go regularly you can get some parts for free that'd take ages to build yourself.
(Motorcycle radiators are fantastic for water cooling)

I remember seeing somthing like that when I was in the Army, just can't place it though. I'm thinking it held cleaning solvent. But I could be wrong, I just remember seeing somthing like it while I was in.

NightFire (May 27, 2001 11:24 p.m.):
I remember seeing somthing like that when I was in the Army, just can't place it though. I'm thinking it held cleaning solvent. But I could be wrong, I just remember seeing somthing like it while I was in.

Heh, I am IN the Army now and I ain't never seen this before. I am a Tank Mechanic, so I see alot of hardware, but never this thingie. Hehe.

Captain Slug (May 27, 2001 11:06 p.m.):
Reclamation landfills are fantastic. I "shopped" the one in Mannassas yesterday and found a motorcycle frame, a toyota radiator and some scrap metal. If you go regularly you can get some parts for free that'd take ages to build yourself.
(Motorcycle radiators are fantastic for water cooling)

Shopped the one in Manassas? you gotta be kidding me...that should be the same one i got this from!! Off of Rte 234 and theres and animal shelter right next to it...right? That place rules, they ahve the "too good to throw away" I've gotten some awesome stuff from there....got a Rhodes Seventy Three stage piano which is worth about 400 bucks (works fine), got a Hammond M100 organ from 1961 (worth about 600) which doesn't work but only has a few electrical faults. Thats why i don't mind taking stuff there to be thrown away or dropped off....I might find something cool.

Actually thats the same place i found my 19" digital brand monitor which works too, just has a flicker in the flyback.....so yeah, not really dumpster diving, but I'll agree some of the stuff i see is "too good to throw away"

Mike

Breadfan said:

Shopped the one in Manassas? you gotta be kidding me...that should be the same one i got this from!! Off of Rte 234 and theres and animal shelter right next to it...right? That place rules, they ahve the "too good to throw away" I've gotten some awesome stuff from there....got a Rhodes Seventy Three stage piano which is worth about 400 bucks (works fine), got a Hammond M100 organ from 1961 (worth about 600) which doesn't work but only has a few electrical faults. Thats why i don't mind taking stuff there to be thrown away or dropped off....I might find something cool.

Actually thats the same place i found my 19" digital brand monitor which works too, just has a flicker in the flyback.....so yeah, not really dumpster diving, but I'll agree some of the stuff i see is "too good to throw away"

Mike

Hahahahahaha, yeah. I live in Sterling and this is a great area for reclamaton. Especially old computers.

Where can I find one of these landfills? is there like a site that lists local ones or do any of you know of one in New Jersey?

SuperMan0234 said:
Where can I find one of these landfills? is there like a site that lists local ones or do any of you know of one in New Jersey?

Check your phone book, starting with waste distribution/reclamation. If you can't find anything there you can call county information and find out where the ladfill is. Or better yet ask the company that handles your trash where they eventually take the garbage for sorting.

Last edited:
Back