• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

what are my chances of getting to 4ghz with a 3c or a 3.2c ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ZL1

Senior Crypto Caretaker
Hi

guys Im considering buying a 3.0c or 3.2c to attempt 4.0ghz, I was going to wait until they hit <$200, but with things like they are today it doesnt look like that is going to happen and if I wait any longer they might dissapear completely, so anywho, its been my long time dream to run 4.0ghz, and I was wondering what kind of a chance I have ? (on air, yes I know, I know, but I dont want water anywhere close to my pc, too paranoid, and I cant afford higher end stuff.)

please advise

Thank you
Dan

my 3.0c "posted" @ 4ghz with 1.8v core :( i cna run it around 3.9 @ 1.7vcore but need better cooling.

your chance of hittign 3.7-3.8 are liekly good. 4ghz may take some work and patience.

You're asking more of the silicon that it will likely deliver. 3.75GHz w/a 3.0c is about the most you can in any way rely on, with higher clock speeds more the exception than the rule. 4GHz is far enough on the fringe of the distribution of results that you might have to try 20 (or 100, or ?) cpus before finding that golden example. 3.2's may do better through holding the fsb down a bit, or they may not.

It's a lot better to place your goal a bit lower, in a more likely realized place, or go with a Prescott. 4GHz is a more likely realized goal with them, although application performance may not exceed that of a good 3.0c at whatever 3.8ish type clock speed it may top out at.

Last edited:
Due to heat, reaching 4 Ghz stable with a Prescott needs luck (approx 3-4 guys in here has done it with 3,2's) The rest are using water.

Same thing with the 3,0 C's: A few have reached 4 Ghz on air, but only the really lucky ones.

IMO, your best bet is a 3,2C (although its still a stretch on air)

The Northwoods seem to average 3.6 to 3.9 gig on air or water. For example, I have a 3.0C that does 3.8 gig and a 3.2C that does 3.9 gig (stable speed) with good air or water.

I guess I'll need luck, now I gotta think of a way to improve my luck for this mission ;)

I was thinking about buying it from newegg, any opinions ? anyone know what steppings they usually have ? I know this is a somewhat silly question, but I remember at the time I got my 2.4 they mostly had sl6z3
about steppings whats a good stepping for a 3.2c ?

Thanks
Dan

Last edited:
Back