• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What can i make with a spare freezer/refrigerator?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PaulWik

I have this old freezer/refrigerator unit that I had forgotten about for a while. I just found it in my garage- and it works great! I really want to take it apart and use it to cool my computer. Has anyone tried taking apart a freezer to do this? If so, any information on it would be helpful!

Really cold BEER!!! just kidding....

Check out upAvolt's site. There I have seen a refridgerator radiator combo...

How about putting the ice maker portion into a container (within the refrigerator), fill the container with antifreeze or alcohol and put a coil of copper tubing into the liquid. Through the copper (or stainless steel) tubing would pass the coolant for your water block.

You could also put a small pond pump in the container to circulate the cold medium to make it more efficient. The temperature setting of the refrigerator would need to be set to a point that did not freeze your water block coolant when your computer was switched off, otherwise you'd have no circulation after a while. It may be preferable to use the same coolant throughout. The biggest headache would be insulating the tubing from condensation.

PaulWik (Jan 07, 2001 08:01 p.m.):
I have this old freezer/refrigerator unit that I had forgotten about for a while. I just found it in my garage- and it works great! I really want to take it apart and use it to cool my computer. Has anyone tried taking apart a freezer to do this? If so, any information on it would be helpful!

i suggest plugging in the fridge and cutting out a hole and placing the cpu inside...this may not be the best or safest way but its the easiest

Why rip the fridge/freezer apart to stick into a case and risk damaging it to the point of being useless, when you can turn it into a modified Case??? Depending on its size, you could use it in its present state to cool your entire machine. I'm sure its insulation would also help hide the hum of those drives. Insulate components as necessary and enjoy.
Might be interesting to see a pic of the finished product somewhere like VH's cool case gallery. <Grin>

Back