• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What do u guys think of the Koolance Hard drive cooler?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Blueboy1986

Am getting ready to setup my WC (spent$275). So as i was surfing i came across the
Koolance Hard drive Cooler for Water cooled kits, Model HDC1-A01
Well then i wondered if my HDs were running to hot? I have them right in top of each other. So i touched it and thought to myself that it was running to hot. I know that HDs dont like heat. So i was thinking of getting that Koolance drive cooler.

Anyone here use/used it before? U guys think that it might work or no?

corrosion231

Unless you were already running a Koolance system Im guessing it would be pointless. Koolance uses 1/4" tubing and almost everyone else uses 1/2" or 3/8" tubing. It would kill flow.

PhoenixMDM

Piano Man
Could always save some $$ and mount your drives so there's a little space between them, maybe stick a fan on them too.

Personally, WCing a hard drive just seems like a marketing scam. When was the last time you heard of a hard drive dieing from heat? I know it actually happens, but it's so rare...

bluediamond

I have the Koolance setup that only cools my video card and my hard drives. Honestly it doesn't make that big of a difference, I would recommend a good air cooling solution.

corrosion231

PhoenixMDM said:
Could always save some $$ and mount your drives so there's a little space between them, maybe stick a fan on them too.

Personally, WCing a hard drive just seems like a marketing scam. When was the last time you heard of a hard drive dieing from heat? I know it actually happens, but it's so rare...

Western Digital and IBM have both said that almost all hard drives die from heat.

bizhar

Put a quiet fan in front of them, you don't need a lot of air just some movement. That should do fine.
Adding it in your loop even with 1/2" or 3/8" will 'almost always' reduce your flow and raise your temps.

White Rhino

Registered
koolance HD cooling

I run a koolance rig. I am very happy with the result's for my 3200+ @ 2.5 so far. With a 20c drop under load from stock air cooling. Ya that much! I agree that water cooling your hard drive's is not a viable option,from a money stand point to performance gain.

lclark2074

Unless you’re into total water-cooling to make the least amount of noise. I think it’s a waste of time air-cooling is simpler for HDD and south bridge to do but that my 2cents.