• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What do you guys think?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Darryl_D

okay guys... i have a client who wants me to make him a good, fast, easily upgradeable computer... He's going to be going to college, and is looking for a cheap sub 1,000- 1,100 dollar system...

This is what i came up with... i gotta give him a few system rig specs.. by wednesday...

but really what i was thinking was this
Pentium 4 2.8c
Asus p4c800E Deluxe
1 gig of Mushkin Level 1 PC 3500
Some silver Kingwin Case that he wants
Allied 450 watt psu (my question is will this psu be enough? it has 18A on 12v rail... i nkow because i have one...)
80 gig western digital hard drive (the special edition one)
Creative Labs Audigy 2 Gamer
Creative Labs Megaworks 5.1 speakers....
Leadtek Winfast tv 2000 expert card
Radeon 9600 Pro

what do you think i should change?
Remember these things... He likes to game... he cares about money... wants the rig to be upgradeable in teh future...

What you might wanna check:

1. Mushkin has a new PC4000 product... You might wanna check that out.
2. I know nothing about that Allied PSU. Is it made by some big name in the field? I am asking this cause I am in the same situation as you: I have a Turbolink PSU (it came with an Aspire case) that works just fine for me but I heard some nightmare stories about it. Maybe you should consider Fortron or Antec...
3. Hdd: maybe you should consider some local retailers (they have big MIRs on harddrives) and go RAID
4. A Sapphyre 9800 Pro is around 230 bucks on Newegg. You might wanna consider that having in mind your friend is a gamer. Be careful though, I read on this forum it might come with some crappy memory...

Allied are fairly decent in my experience, but I've only had a few. This is really the perfect computer for the situatuin you described. Its easily upgradable, it has some power already to begin with, and there isnt anything that computer can't do, the only downside is the video card but that is the easiest thing to upgrade so it really is a good choice. Nice choices, call it a media center! :D

okay guys, thanks for your help... i gave him the submission today... let's see what he thinks...

Back