• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What GPU waterblock?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Adi

Registered
What is the best GPU water block that will void only 1 extra PCI slot ? I see many around that look good like the Swiftech, but who has one that only uses 1 extra PCI slot?

Atm the Maze 4 GPU block seems to be da winner is their anyone that outperforms this?

Also the rest of the bits that I think I will get are ....

Pump: Swiftech ST-MCP600-01 (i would go with that Eheim 1250 but its too big to fit in my case). Does anyone have this pump is it very noisy?

Radiator: Black Ice Extreme 2 with 4 fans mounted on top of my case.... this radiator looks joy, people have said get a heater core but I don't fancy them after looking into it...)

Waterblocks: Cascade CPU waterblock (can this be used with a peltier?), Swiftech MCW20 Northbridge waterblock.

Resovoire: Res that uses 2 floppy drive bays and glows with UV light from dangerden :p

Those parts look good to me. Reconsider trying to fit all of that stuff in your case, you will get the radiator alot cooler if it is outside.

Good choice of parts - but you might want to ditch the Bay Reservoir, and go with a Tee-Line, or a Cylinder Reservoir instead. Bay Reservoirs are a PITA, and don'tork too great when you have little bubbles flying around in there, and getting sucked into your circuit.

The Swiftech Waterblock is a good one - I think it takes 1, and a bit of a PCI slot. Haven't installed mine yet ;)

The Swiftech Pump is a little sketchy - it is up to you, but a Hydor L30 might be a better choice cost wise.

Adi said:
What is the best GPU water block that will void only 1 extra PCI slot ? I see many around that look good like the Swiftech, but who has one that only uses 1 extra PCI slot?

Atm the Maze 4 GPU block seems to be da winner is their anyone that outperforms this?

Also the rest of the bits that I think I will get are ....

Pump: Swiftech ST-MCP600-01 (i would go with that Eheim 1250 but its too big to fit in my case). Does anyone have this pump is it very noisy?

Radiator: Black Ice Extreme 2 with 4 fans mounted on top of my case.... this radiator looks joy, people have said get a heater core but I don't fancy them after looking into it...)

Waterblocks: Cascade CPU waterblock (can this be used with a peltier?), Swiftech MCW20 Northbridge waterblock.

Resovoire: Res that uses 2 floppy drive bays and glows with UV light from dangerden :p

GPU: Both Swifty and Maze4 perform very well. I have MCW50 with 1/2ID tubing adapter and I have a Audigy2 right below the AGP card, so basically I can use ALL my PCI slots

Pump: That pump is high quality and should perform very well with Cascade...Some of them had a problem with thrush bearing and Im not sure if it was fixed or not. Besides that it's reliable, quiet, high performance

Radiator: Go with a HC.. period

WB: Cascade cannot be used with a pelt. even if you somehow modified it to do so, it wont be effective as Cascade focuses on cooling the ceter where as blocks like Swifty MCW5002 focuses on cooling the entire base. If you want to go with a pelt get the swifty.

Radiator: Go with a HC.. period
I agree...a heatercore has much less flow resistance than a black ice, is cheaper (probably even if you get DTek's Pro Core), and will give you better temps. If you were to get two of DTek's JR120's, and mount both at the top of your case and run in parallel, you would get great results.

I bought a bayres too. I thought I'd fit it in and it'd be great, but, unfortunately, it's a bit of hassle in my setup. It makes me go out of my way with tubing, and it's just a little inconvenient overall. It looks really cool, but if I were you I'd just save the money. If you still want to get one...PM me and buy mine. :)

Reagarding the issues with the thrust bearing...

"Yes.we have a temporary fix, for all the pumps we are shipping curently, consisting in an impeller of reduced diameter. This alleviates all reliabitlity issues, but slightly reduces the head capability of the pump (0.5m) . For this reason, there is a permanent fix that will be made available to all MCP600 pump owners (January) upon request, including a standard size impeller, and ceramic thrust bearings.

Best Regards,

Gabe"

Awesome. .5m isnt that big of a deal. I love swifty for their honestey and their care towards customer service and the quality of their products

That's the same thing Swity told me. Current shipments are without the permanent fix, with the impeller slightly reduced in daimeter to temporarily alleviated the problem. All purchasers of the original or temporary fixed pumps will receive the new "ceramic" pump parts once they are available.

Swifty rocks - what else can anyone say? :D Of all "computer parts" companies, OCZ and Swiftech are at the top of my list for quality, and customer care/interest.

And honestly - all the Black Ice Radiator bashing has got to stop :p

Realistically here are some Pro's and Cons:

PROS

~ Very convenient size
~ Highest quality 120mm size radiator on the market
~ Performs for it's size - despite many skeptics' comments to the contrary
~ Guaranteed Leak-Free (a Heatercore from a junk yard ain't)
~ Very easy to mount in intake points of the case
~ Technically no shrouds required - just slap dem fans on
~ You don't have to make or pay for Shrouds

CONS

~ Comparibly high flow restriction (compared to a Heater-Core)
~ More Expensive - but you don't need to make/buy shrouds
~ Hard to find locally depending on where you live (Canada for instance)
~ Really *requires* a Push/Pull fan setup to perform - fins are fairly dense
~ I really doubt that they perform as well as a Heatercore does - although I haven't seen any straight up and down comparisons.

Another potential Con is that the fan mounts are too close to the rad, making custom shrouds a serious performance enhancer, if not actually *required*. I am making my shrouds out of gutted 120mm fans.

I currently use one of these in circuit, and am happy with temperatures, and have another one that I got here on the forums used which I plan to add to circuit in parallel very soon.

These are also practically guaranteed to fit in your case, and leave room for good positoning, and not crowd things. It is very hard to mount two Heatercores in parallel blowing intake.

just my Two Cents - I have never used a Heatercore - so add a grain of salt to my words.

EDIT: Tried to fixspelling gotta stop posting after parties

Well I have found a cylinder resoiver that I've seen on quite a few piccy's on this forum for half the price of a bay res available here in Australia so I'm gunna go for that.

There is a thermochill radiator that take up to 6 12cm fans I wish they sold that here.

The DTEK stuff isn't readily available here by the looks of it nor have I seen any heater cores from computer shops :( Any aussie's know where I can find a heatercore suitable for water cooling that is mountable on top (outside/ above) my case?

thx for helping me

Back