• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What happens when you don't defrag?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Krusty

Insane Overclocking Clown
:eek:Guess I should defrag my storage drive a bit more often, eh?

EDIT: ooh, new smileys I didn't notice before:clap: :cry: :temper: :bday:

defrag

Data gets spread all over the place, and the HDD has to seek many times in order to read the data, which slows down the performance.

Re: defrag

Arkaine23 said:
Data gets spread all over the place, and the HDD has to seek many times in order to read the data, which slows down the performance.

Actually...the point of the post wasn't to get an answer. It was just to show off a screen shot. look at my screen shot!:eek: Lookie!

rhetorical question

Yeah, but why not answer the question for any computer noobs who might be browsing the forums?

Re: rhetorical question

Arkaine23 said:
Yeah, but why not answer the question for any computer noobs who might be browsing the forums?

:beer: point taken

Defragging will preserve the life of your HDD. When the data gets spread all over, not only does it slow down performance, but the drive does a lot more work to find everything. The more the arm moves the shorter it lives. I have personally seen drives crash because they were so fragged. The drive worked itself to death.

Thanks for the graphic representation of your gummed-up HDD there Krusty. It really helps to SEE how bad it can get...I am a firm believer in defragging on every other Friday...NEVER longer than a month...It just slows things down and causes too much stress and strain on the HDD...Besides, like Mikey, my computer LIKES IT...

:D

I defrag every night @ midnight. I also Backup, clean out temp files, and a little extra maintenance. All while i'm sleeping :)

Wow

You think that's bad? My computer hasn't bee defragged once since I've had it, my brother messed up the program in one day. (We've had this comp five years :eek: ). This computer is really bad, and at this point, I won't attempt to fix it, I want the drive to die so I can get a new computer and make my first overclock! :D

Krusty said:
:eek:Guess I should defrag my storage drive a bit more often, eh?

EDIT: ooh, new smileys I didn't notice before:clap: :cry: :temper: :bday:

well I read all the posts and I know you said you did'nt want any answers,

but I would like to add,that one of the beautiful aspects of a NTFS install over a FAT install,is that you don't have to defrag or reboot a NTFS install nearly as often as a FAT system.Atleast on my WIN2K boxes,

I have 1 98se box,and 2 ME and 2 WIN2k pro boxes to compare here at home.

just my .02, :)

yes NTFS is much better than FAT32....also ive heard that ext2(Linux) almost never needs a defrag...

Actually, all my partitions are NTFS partitions. The fragmenting got that bad because I do all of my downloads into that drive and move things around constantly. Just a couple days before taking that pic, I moved about 8 gigs of stuff around. I also have directories on that drive that my roomates use for storage. Not too long ago, there were 16 gigs of buffy episodes hiding in there.

Also, since I built this computer in September, I have done very little defragging, but well over 20 formats. All those formats were on my C: drive though, so D: got pretty out of hand. Also, before every format, I would move important information over to the D: drive and move it back after the reformat.

UPDATE: For some reason, I had to defrag the drive TWICE in order for it to be all nice and pretty. The first one only took away about 30% of the red stuff.

I just realized that I never defragged my RAID. Maybe I should have thought of that before now...
Oh well, I was planning on a reformat anyway.:rolleyes:

Heh...

Ridenow said:
I just realized that I never defragged my RAID. Maybe I should have thought of that before now...
Oh well, I was planning on a reformat anyway.:rolleyes:

Heh.. I'd love to reformat, but seeing as how I own no OS software (we only have dell's at the moment), I think I'll just live with the POS until it dies, or until the summer, when I get to build my new comp.

Back