• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What is growing inside my CPU Waterblock?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

wmillar55

Hello everyone! I'd like to know what this is inside my CPU waterblock. Is this corrosion or algae inside my EK Nickel Plated waterblock. I've had this PC since August and just noticed the growth. I have a copper GPU waterblock but heard this isn't a problem with the nickel also in the loop. The GPU waterblock has no signs of corrosion or algae.

I'm using Mayhems X1 UV Clear Coolant. I flushed everything thoroughly with distilled water before assembly. Rad shake and everything! :) I did add Meyhems Biocide Extreme when originally filling the loop. I have read that may not have been a good idea. Not sure.

My only other line of thinking is that it's from slow water circulation. I'm not sure about this or have any data. Because of space I needed to use a EK-DDC 3.2 PWM Pump instead of a D5. My last rig was on a D5 and I felt I got better flow out fo it. Not sure though! My PSU is a Corsair HX1000 watts which might be under-powering. I'll provide my specs below and look forward to hearing from everyone!

IMG_0406_zps7ik4exyu.jpg

Rig

Motherboard: ASUS Code Maximus IX LGA 1151
Processor: Intel Core i7 7700k Kaby Lake CPU (delided)
Memory: G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 32GB DDR4 3866 (PC4 30900)
GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3
SSD: Samsung 960 EVO Series 1TB
PSU: Corsair HX1000 1000 watts

Cooling

Pump: EK-DDC 3.2 PWM 12V
Res: Singularity Computers Protium – Medium 200mm
EK-Supremacy EVO CPU Water Block - Nickel/Plexi

It could be one of a few things, I can't quite tell from the photo.

1: The coolant your using has broken down and its leaving depots in the CPU block.
2: The Meyhems Biocide is not doing its job or eating the tubing leaving depots in the CPU block. I never used it before and have no clue what its made of, Id recommend PT nuke AKA copper sulfate. Silver kill coil is OK if you have a all copper loop.
3: The nickle plating on your block is braking down and is leaving corroded depots you CPU block. It dose not look like that, that tends not to be green.

My money is on the UV stuff in your coolant or the Meyhems Biocide braking down. Whatever it is I'd flush the system ASAP to prevent any more damage.

EDIT:
did you mix the Meyhems Biocide with the Mayhems X1 UV Clear Coolant? that could be a problem too. If you just had it in the water for flushing and flushed out out good it would probably be ok.

Also did you add water to he Mayhems Coolant? If I recall most Mayhems coolant require you to add water too it.

EDIT:
Just looked it up, Mayhems says not to add any bleach, biocide and anti corrosive inhibitors to their coolant. If this is true the Meyhems Biocide Extreme you used when flushing out the parts could bee the problem.

If I were you Id do a full flush of the system, clean the rad, blocks pump and use ether distilled with a drop or two of PT nuke, don't use silver with EK nickel blocks.

Last edited:
That's a lot for your quick response! To answer your question yes I did mix the Biocide with the X1 Clear coolant. After I filled the loop I topped it off generously with 3-4 drops of the biocide. I'm just remembering now that that Biocide is from another build, like 5 years ago. :eek: I did not add water to the coolant and you can see on the label it doesn't say it's needed. Also, it looks like it has Biocides already as your last edit states.

Thanks again for your help. I will drain the loop tonight and order some PT Nuke for the rinsing. Question, do you think cleaning with 50/50 Vinegar and Water is a good idea to get everything flushed out? Or will the PT Nuke be enough. Of course I would rinse and cycle with water afterwards.

PS I'll post pics on the inside of the waterblock when I open her up :cool:

Here's photos of the coolant and Biocide:

1ZMnerh9TXS0F0TDNmagKA_zpsvb2zrhne.jpg
9NaG8fNRBuhFFTuPKAQ_zpsa84ajirv.jpg

It could be one of a few things, I can't quite tell from the photo.

1: The coolant your using has broken down and its leaving depots in the CPU block.
2: The Meyhems Biocide is not doing its job or eating the tubing leaving depots in the CPU block. I never used it before and have no clue what its made of, Id recommend PT nuke AKA copper sulfate. Silver kill coil is OK if you have a all copper loop.
3: The nickle plating on your block is braking down and is leaving corroded depots you CPU block. It dose not look like that, that tends not to be green.

My money is on the UV stuff in your coolant or the Meyhems Biocide braking down. Whatever it is I'd flush the system ASAP to prevent any more damage.

EDIT:
did you mix the Meyhems Biocide with the Mayhems X1 UV Clear Coolant? that could be a problem too. If you just had it in the water for flushing and flushed out out good it would probably be ok.

Also did you add water to he Mayhems Coolant? If I recall most Mayhems coolant require you to add water too it.

EDIT:
Just looked it up, Mayhems says not to add any bleach, biocide and anti corrosive inhibitors to their coolant. If this is true the Meyhems Biocide Extreme you used when flushing out the parts could bee the problem.

If I were you Id do a full flush of the system, clean the rad, blocks pump and use ether distilled with a drop or two of PT nuke, don't use silver with EK nickel blocks.

When the nickel came off my ek gpu block it had a greenish blue bubble look. I can't see it clear enough in the pic but if you can see that it may be. I would tear down and flush everything if it was me. Worse case you find a problem, best case you get a fresh clean loop. Either way will benefit you.

I think those are the super cheap EK rads, right? If so, I think you might be subject to galvanic corrosion from having aluminum in the loop.

When the nickel came off my ek gpu block it had a greenish blue bubble look. I can't see it clear enough in the pic but if you can see that it may be. I would tear down and flush everything if it was me. Worse case you find a problem, best case you get a fresh clean loop. Either way will benefit you.

Most of the time when I had nickel blocks flaking it starts out blue the turns dark black.

That being said, op dont mix anything with premixed coolant unless it says to. Adding pt nuke or anything to a premixed off the shelf coolant will likely not end well.
Most off the shelf coolant is reather unstable as it is, adding stuff to it will likely not help.

As for flushing the loop I know alot of people like vinegar and water. Just keep in mind it can damage the plastic in the loop.

I like to use 1 or 2 parts citric acid lemon extract and 8-9 parts watter. Unless if Im taking everything apart then I use clr inplace of citrus acid. Never use clr on anything thats not metal in you loop or your pump. This includes o-rings and tops.

But if the parts are not bad I only use water. Start by useing just watter and a old truth brush on the blocks. only use clr on the rads and coper bases of the blocks. Id not use it on the nickel blocks ether. And dont use it in the pump or plastic tops of your blocks.

The vinegar should be fine if you mix it 20% vinegar 80% water then fluch it all out with just water, same for citric acid.

Last edited:
I think those are the super cheap EK rads, right? If so, I think you might be subject to galvanic corrosion from having aluminum in the loop.

EK's website says they are all 90% copper tubing and copper fins. with aluminum housing. He should be OK there.

Still waiting for that catastrophic day to come.

I can't tell if that's algae as I think that's too light green colored to look like it but from my guess atm, it looks like a break down of something. Could be mixing of too much mixing.

I would just use EK's clear premix fluids since you're using EK blocks and EK rads after rinsing and cleaning the loop with distilled.

Can I ask what tubing is being used?

Hi.. I am not sure how that information could help you but a well known retailer here writes this:

Attention: The manufacturer Mayhems points out that Mayhem's fluids, especially the Aurora product line, are manufactured and sold exclusively for show and modding purposes. This should not be operated in the system for more than 14 days.

In addition, we acknowledge that Mayhem's fluids can damage water-cooled products and therefore void the warranty of the following manufacturers if you use Mayhem's fluids: Koolance, Phobya, Alphacool, Aqua Computer, Watercool

Damages such as: clogging, corrosion of aluminium radiators, deterioration of glued containers, etc., are a consequence of the use of Mayhems, but will not be reimbursed by Mayhems. Use is therefore at one’s own risk.

:sly:

Hi.. I am not sure how that information could help you but a well known retailer here writes this:

Attention: The manufacturer Mayhems points out that Mayhem's fluids, especially the Aurora product line, are manufactured and sold exclusively for show and modding purposes. This should not be operated in the system for more than 14 days.

In addition, we acknowledge that Mayhem's fluids can damage water-cooled products and therefore void the warranty of the following manufacturers if you use Mayhem's fluids: Koolance, Phobya, Alphacool, Aqua Computer, Watercool

Damages such as: clogging, corrosion of aluminium radiators, deterioration of glued containers, etc., are a consequence of the use of Mayhems, but will not be reimbursed by Mayhems. Use is therefore at one’s own risk.

:sly:

Would you link to that information please?

To the OP: I remember an old science fiction movie the "The Green Slime", the first thing I thought of when I saw your picture.

Back