• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What is the best "core"?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
1. Will there be unoficcial DDR II sticks faster than 1000?
No doubt there will be. If future AMD/Intel systems handle mem frequencies >500MHz you bet there will be such modules...
First of course you'd need a mem chip capable of >>500MHz without pushing it too much.

renegade44 said:
I stayed away from Socket 754 because I though it was a dead end. Gkad I waited

Glad you waited for what, another dead end? It isn't like the socket 939 cpu/board you bought is the future.

Gautam said:
You current setup is quite honestly rather a dead end. A Sempron makes no sense over an A64 3000+. Maybe a couple hundred MHz more, negated by the lack of cache...and some cash spent pointlessly. ;) All that talk of Opterons, Venices etc, doesn't apply to you, as you have a Socket 754 motherboard.

This is the most cost-effective processor you can buy for your current setup. Another 3000+ you say? This one happens to have 1 MB of L2 cache, your current has 512KB, which in itself is like a 200MHz deficit. This is a mobile, and overclocks extremely well. In fact, I paired this exact CPU with your exact motherboard and got some great results. You really will need to overclock this CPU to reap its benefits though. Unfortunately, however, you will probably need to get a new heatsink to go with it. The Zalman CNPS series are pretty much the only compatible ones worth mentioning if you choose this route.

Otherwise, you would have to start considering a new motherboard, which would also entail a new video card and power supply; might as well wait a few months more until you've got enough money for a new system build. (How much are you willing to spend for this upgrade anyways?)

Thanks for the post! Well, right now I'm going to just buy a new MB because my CPU is fine, the MB is fried. In a few months, (like February-ish) I'm going to upgrade to s939, and I am trying to decide if I want to go with something along the lines of an A64 3800+ or an Opteron. I've never OC'd anything, so I doubt I'd do it to a new processor, however, I MIGHT, after I play around with the 3000+ that I have and learn a little more. I'd REALLY hate to buy a 3800+ or an Opty 148 or whatever and then fry it by learning how to OC on it!!

What I'm looking at in Feb, is most definitely a new MB & Processor, s939 seems like the logical choice. New PSU will be needed, and probably a new Video Card if I'm doing all that, I might as well go PCI-e. I'm not sure I can afford to go right to PCI-e though, and it sucks because they don't make boards that have PCI-e AND AGP on it (that I know of) so that I can make that transition a little later. I'll probably only have $4-600ish to spend total. I'm probably going to need to get new everything, HDD, RAM, MB, CPU, Vid Card, PS, Case, etc, because I will be redoing my current rig for my GF. I will most likely do that a little at a time though. I can't afford to buy ALL of that stuff that I'd need. I'll at least need a new MB and CPU. Would it be stupid to NOT get PCI-e? I mean, there are already AGP cards out that are better than mine, but will there still be good enough cards to last 2-3 years on? Can I get a good MB, CPU, and PCI-e card for under $500??

Back