• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

what is the use??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
There were many requests for this Forum and there was a very large thread about it.

Many overclockers are also programmers. Just wanted a place to discuss it.

yes, I am for it. I am not a big programmer but it can often be tough and there aren't a whole lot of help places on the net for it. Not an overclocking thing, but then again, cyber deals isn't either but is an invaluable place.

phiber said:
what is the most introductory programming code i should learn??

I think Python is often suggested as an excellent starting point in Object Oriented Programming. Visual Basic is easy and is pretty powerful especially going to database work but isn't similar to other languages.

phiber said:
what is the most introductory programming code i should learn??

My background is programming in Visual Basic. If I had it to do all over again, I would learn C first. Although it's NOT an easy language, it is the basis of most other languages. If you know C, you can pretty easily pick up C++, Java and a few others. Many other languages share some of the same fundimentals.

Learning C will also open doors in both the Windows and 'nix worlds.

William said:

I think Python is often suggested as an excellent starting point in Object Oriented Programming. Visual Basic is easy and is pretty powerful especially going to database work but isn't similar to other languages.

Python is cool but pretty complicated, don't you think?

Python is easier than C or C++ and Python can be tied right into a C++ codeing if I am not mistakeing. I dabbled in it for a short time when I was running Linux as my main. Tilll I get another hard drive I think linux will be on the side lines. I have huge problems with Windows and Linux on the same drive.

skip said:

Python is cool but pretty complicated, don't you think?

never used it, just what I often here. VB is what I know as well a tiny bit of C. No time to go out and really learn more.

That's my bag, VB. The Classified Ads are written in VB using CGI routines. That's something I wrote a couple years ago.

VB, C++, Java, Perl, and don't know if this quite qualifies, HTML.
You can get just about anything you need done, and some things you don't with those. Avoid, Pascal, COBOL, I'm sure the list will grow if I think about it long enough...

well here is a question,
I have a strong back ground in computers but know nothing about programing, so let say I want to go out and buy a book to start learning programing tomorrow, what should I buy??

I'm ready to learn also. I didn't know s*** about O/Cing prior to joining this forum and I feel fairly comfortable with pushing my chips now...... I'm ready to be a hack programer. I will be watching posts here and trying to learn something.

Well seeing if you are going to only use windows yes VB is good but if you want to use your program on anyother OS then VB is no good being that it is only a Win platform language. If its the case that you want cross platform then I would say python C or C++ if you want a real challange

Im studyin Bsd in software engineering and Ive been writing C for 7 years as a hobby. It is difficult language to begin with, but it is the language that other languages tend to mimick. If U have access to MS's VB, its an easy start. If U deside to start with C, pick a book that is C, not C++. C books often come with a free compiler or info on how to get one, so U can get started without buying a whole "tool" as MS VisualBasic.

My interests are right now in graphics and 3D graphics. Im planing to study DX8 as OpenGL seems bit dated now that DX8 offers all that "programmibility" for the GPUs. My former experience is with OpenGL. Ive also done sometin earlier with 2D games and even DOS/PM. Im also interested about audio/video compression algorithms, but havent done anything with them.

Well anyways, Ill be sharing my expiriences here with U. If anyone should get interested in this thread...

I might look around for a book to teach myself something with - sounds like VB or C to start with then! Never really done any programming before, but I've taught myself a bit of HTML from a big fat book I have, so maybe I could teach myself some programming as well. When I get back to college I can always get help from all the compscis (Computer Science students) I know there :)

Cool addition Skip!

I know HTML pretty good, and when this semester starts at uni, I'll learn java as one of the first things. (dIntProg - Introduction to programming).

This section could really turn out to help me with the homework, lol.

Back