• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

what is the use??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Take a C++ class! you will see it is fast and powerful and a huge pain in the *** when you don't understand everything ;-)

I was a programing major, so I know C, Pascal, Fortran, Cobol, Basic. I also am familiar with VB, Java, C++ and a few others.

If you really want to know programing start with C, not C++ or VB. Once you learn the basics with C you can move on to the OOP languages. Learning a second language is easy once you have truly learned the first one, that is why many programmers know several languages. C is a very powerful language that is relatively easy to use. I know some people who started with a "higer" level language like C++ or VJ++ and some do well, but most of them do not truly understand what they are doing. They can use things like pointers, but do not know what they are or how they work "behind the scenes". I feel that if someone does not understand the base stuff then they are not able to use the full potential of the language.

Several publishers make some good programming books, Que, Borland, Broderbund and O'Riellys come to mind. If you are looking for a C++ book, get the one by Bjorn Strousen, he wrote the packages that made C++ from C.

Another fact about C that we should know: C was created to write an operating system, that was its purpose. That OS is UNIX. So if you want to truly know Linux, learn some C.

#include<brain.h>
#include<TypingSkills.h>

int FinishedTyping;

void main ()
{
cout << "I like the new board, Skip." << endl;

cout << "Now I have somewhere to go when I cant figure out stuff for my classes." << endl;

FinishedTyping = 1;

Signature();

}

void Signature ();
{

If (finishedTyping==0)
return;
else
cout << "SickBoy" << endl;

}

How hard would C be to learn for me? I'be been hooked on BASIC since my mom's C-64, and my freshman and sophmore years I was learing Pascal. Pascal MUCH more powerfull than BASIC. So how hard would it be for me to learn? What are some benifits of C over BASIC and Pascal (other than noone uses BASIC and Pascal anymore)?

I just noticed this new board today!
JigPu

how does programming have to do with overclocking??

SoftFSB and similar FSB on-the-fly modification programs
Rain and similar CPU halt cycle programs
Powerstrip and similar video card O/C programs
The hack that allows you to monitor thermistor temperatures via a sound card's game port

Of course noone is expected to go straight from printing "Hello World" at the DOS prompt to hacking the BIOS, but I'm sure this is a place where programmers at all levels can share info.

I for one am very comfortable with C++ - WinAPI, MFC, and Winpcap. I'm also comfortable with basic electronics hardware and circuit theory. What I'm missing is some simple, easy-to-follow tips/instructions on interfacing the two (without the use of expensive microcontrollers)

JigPu said:
How hard would C be to learn for me? I'be been hooked on BASIC since my mom's C-64, and my freshman and sophmore years I was learing Pascal. Pascal MUCH more powerfull than BASIC. So how hard would it be for me to learn? What are some benifits of C over BASIC and Pascal (other than noone uses BASIC and Pascal anymore)?

I just noticed this new board today!
JigPu

I also learned them in that order. C is very similar to Pascal and almost all of it translates over, just the syntax is different. Occasionally I will find myself putting something like writeln in where I should have printf. I would say that C is slightly more powerful than Pascal because of the variable manipulations it allows and a few other things. C should be really easy for you.

Where to start

[Oc]acaridans said:
well here is a question,
I have a strong back ground in computers but know nothing about programing, so let say I want to go out and buy a book to start learning programing tomorrow, what should I buy??
:D Skip is right, VB is a great language, however if you want a fundamental language that all other languages stem from it would have to be C or C++. I started dabbling in C and got ticked off, kinda complex, but with C++ the language has been made simplistic for the common user. Don't get me wrong it has it's complexities as well, but most other languages stand on the foundation of C and C++, to include VB, Java, and of course the operating system of unix was written in C. :D

:mad: namxinu :mad:

i think c/c++ is the best place to start... cuz i think alot of its fundamentals are used in alot of other languages...

[Oc]acaridans said:
Hey I like this..I know nothing about programing. Maybe i'll learn something

You would be hard pressed not to benifit from knowing C and other derivertives but for a introduction to programming I would recommend VB6 or VB5 at the oldest.

el said:
Take a C++ class! you will see it is fast and powerful and a huge pain in the *** when you don't understand everything ;-)

Been there done that!!, dont even remember half of what I learned, ugh!

-Trek

This section is a good idea, it will just take some time to get it going.

!! Can't believe I saw COBOL mentioned on this thread !!

I thought they killed that one along with Latin....shiver..shiver LOL
:D

Back