• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What kind of network cables do you use?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
At home, I have mostly 5e. At work a mix of 5e, 6 and fiber. Fiber is nice, but don't see a need for it at home, unless you need to do some really long runs or just it is for fun. If your house is so big you need fiber, then I am looking for someone to adopt me. :)

Moving soon and it will be my first house, so I am sure I will have actually run the cable correctly this time. Right now it is just run along the floor, since I don't want to makes holes in a place I don't own. But they sure do drive the wife crazy.

fiber will almost never be needed on a desktop, unless your machine is in a area with massive amounts of EMI where a sheilded cat5 or 6 wont do, or a run that is over 90 Meters (last 10 are best suited for patching ;) ) where cross talk and line loss are an issue.

Do you realize how many punch cards your images are going to take up on his system or how long it will take him to read them in? You aren't being very thoughtful!

Punch cards.

It's taken me about 4 hours to program this much text...

LOL. That made me laugh. :3

Speaking of cables, just like thid and a lot of guys here, bought a pair of 300m (about 1000ft) UTP Cat.5e boxes a long time ago and they're still kicking. There's 5E in the walls, 5E around desks, 5E running with my cats... Everywhere!

Back