• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What UPS unit to buy?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
In addition to our 6000-Watt backup generator, I run this one.

It will run the system you see in the sig (yeah, the pump too) with the 2 monitors, printer, scanner; the whole works for nearly 40 minutes. The provided software is highly configurable and surprisingly accurate in terms of remaining available time.

My half price Belkin units are ordered

9-Socket SurgeMaster® Maximum Series - F9M923-08 $25.00

Universal UPS 1200VA - F6C120-UNV $80.00

Subtotal: $105.00
Sales Tax: $0.00 (Yay Oregon)
Shipping: $21.00
Grand Total: $126.00

Should get here next Wednsday or Thursday :D

OK I got it Thursday and set it up Saturday. It works great. I plugged the UPS into the surge protector so the SP's MOVs can take the hits and spare the UPS. With my OCed dual Xeon rig and a 19" CRT, the load is only ~30% of the 1200VA capacity. As soon as I start 4xFAH clients, it jumps to ~50%. I did a deep battery test and it took 8 minutes for the charge to drop to 25% at which time the test ends. So I figure I have 10 minutes of actual runtime. I've set it to shutdown the computer OS at 5 minutes and shut itself off after 2 more minutes. That should be plenty good enough for preventing file corruption from power fluctuations and outages.

If this was just a P4N or AMD Barton rig, it would run for 20 to 30 minutes easy.

You can improve those times by leaving the CRT off of the UPS - especially if you already have the UPS Shutdown feature in use (no need to "see" the CRT if auto-shutdown is engaged, and runtimes will increase greatly). My APC 1000VA model specifically states NOT to have a CRT on it, as the initial start-up load (and degaussing feature) can pull more than the UPS is rated for - greatly shortening its lifespan - but normal post-startup CRT current draws are not an issue.

Just a suggestion... :cool:

Randyman... said:
You can improve those times by leaving the CRT off of the UPS - especially if you already have the UPS Shutdown feature in use (no need to "see" the CRT if auto-shutdown is engaged, and runtimes will increase greatly). My APC 1000VA model specifically states NOT to have a CRT on it, as the initial start-up load (and degaussing feature) can pull more than the UPS is rated for - greatly shortening its lifespan.

Just a suggestion... :cool:

Mine just says not to have a printer hooked up to it. What about an LCD?

Maybe a Laser Printer - but a little InkJet could not draw too much current (my Inkjet uses a wall wart - so maybe 20-30Watts MAX). I don't thihk LCD's have the same high-current draw at power-up like CRT's do. I don't know for sure...

Either way - you will increase runtimes with less equipment drawing power off the UPS. With my PC on the 1000VA - I have not had to completely "shut down" while on UPS power in months and months due to our fairly reliable power grid in Houston.

:cool:

I'll leave the monitor on as I want to see whats going on if I'm in front of it when the power outage occurs. When I'm away the monitor is on power saving and draws much less power. I'll upgrade to an LCD when prices come way down. I'm going to add the cable modem and router as well so I can stay on the internet for the few extra minutes it might require to finish a post or online transaction.

Laser printers use a thermal lamp to fuse the toner and draw way too much power for a UPS. Mine also forbids Laser printers but no mention of monitors.

Later this week I'm going to shut off the power to the UPS and watch how things progress. I'll set up my Xeon rig to reboot once power is restored and set the FAH services back to auto. This will be the acid test to see if this all does what I'd hoped it to do: NOT losing FAH points because of a power glitch while I'm away at work and protecting my hardware and files from corruption.

Sounds good. That is a good point about the monitor in "power save" mode, too. I have a second UPS on my "other" Internet PC + Modem + Router as well (a smaller APC 650VS model). Makes for a very reliable setup IMO. I don't think my Modem or Router has gone offline since I had the UPS hooked up, and I KNOW my TiVo has not missed a single record since putting it on the APC1000.

Rock on :cool:

When I get some more PC bux I want to cover all the household PCs with Belkins. That way since all the connected equipment will be passing through Belkin, there won't be any problems with the connected equipment warranty.

Last edited:
Back