• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What wall am I hitting in this overclock? (E6550)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

alucardr

I have an E6550 OC'd to 3.2ghz, but I seem to have hit some kind of wall and don't know what to do to get it to higher speeds. Within bios my fsb is at 460 x7 (x7 being the max for this cpu). RAM is G-Skill DDR2 800 @ 920mhz. I was told this ram is capable of around 1,000mhz + so I believe I still have some room to go with this. I tried upping the voltage on the ram by 1.v then .2v, added .1v to fsb voltage, northbridge/southbridge, cpu to 1.36, no difference. Anything beyond this speed is unstable, it either gets as far as trying to load windows..then a black screen comes up (no windows logo) or I get a BSOD crash. At 465 it did load windows, but froze while stress testing. What's strange is I could not pass this limit on the previous set of RAM I had. The G-Skill right now is 2x2gb, previously I had A-Data 4x 1gb, and I couldn't get that past the 460fsb or 920mhz wall without the same problem, so I think something else besides the ram is holding me back. My motherboard is a Gigabyte P35C-DS3R Rev 1.1

cpuz.jpg

stress.jpg

well,
1) the board you are using a Hybrid DDR2/DDR3, while some have oced well. they tend to give up the magjic smoke when appling more vdimm.
2) i havent seem any ss's of that ram doing ddr2-1000, the PK's in my sig would be the ones i have seen as well as the HK's.

though as another note what kind of voltage are you giving them now? if you were to pose the question about what ram. i would have said these,
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231145
as that stuff was able to hit around ddr2-1100 speeds, due to binning at Gskill they dont oc that good any more. then i would have pointed you to this kit here for ocing for 4gigs,
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231166
more then likely this was the ram that was hitting ddr2-1000.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231148

so what im saying is, im betting its your ram...

Votage is at 1.9v, but it'll probably run fine on 1.8 as well, CPU is like 1.356..still very much near stock voltage. When I was browsing the player reviews a few people were saying they were hitting 1,000mhz, 1066 etc on similar P35 boards which is why I figured they were capable of hitting that. So it definitely is the ram that's hitting a wall then? If so I just find it strange that two different brands of ddr2 hit exactly the same wall since the A-Data capped out at the exact same frequency.

ok then i ask how do you know for a fact that ram you have can go faster? have you tried running a higher ratio to the ram to get its clocks up? if you havent yet then do that... other wise try running 2v into the ram for ddr2-1000. as well your cpu v on the low side i would be using 1.35-1.4 for testing to see if that is the issue. what about your MCH voltage and cpuvtt settings?

ok then i ask how do you know for a fact that ram you have can go faster? have you tried running a higher ratio to the ram to get its clocks up? if you havent yet then do that... other wise try running 2v into the ram for ddr2-1000. as well your cpu v on the low side i would be using 1.35-1.4 for testing to see if that is the issue. what about your MCH voltage and cpuvtt settings?

MCH and Cpuvtt are still on normal, I only tried putting .1v into them with no difference, wasn't sure what the safe limit was as far as overvolting those. I'll try adding a little more cpu v too.

Ok, here's what I tried... Ram voltage is at +.2 right now, changed memory multiplier from 2.00 to 2.4 so this is the result
cpuz1.jpg
That's 1104mhz, correct?

I tried bringing up the cpu voltage slowly all the way up to 1.4, no changes, fsb won't boot past 465, not stable beyond 460. Tried mch/cpuv up to +.2 v, no changes.

ok so now you know the cpu has hit its fsb wall... since no matter what you do it wont boot..

Ok then, thanks for the help. :) I thought it could go higher than 3.2, guess not...

Ok then, thanks for the help. :) I thought it could go higher than 3.2, guess not...

if could go higher if the multi wasnt 7x. a majority of cpus have a fsb wall that ranges from 460-480. there will be those that can go way higher then that, *** being seen 45nm dual cores can go 500+. you will see some 65nm cpus but there are not many that seem to get that high.

You may try 500 fsb with 1:1 divider and ram at 1000mhz... shot in the dark, but on a buddy of mine's it worked and he's flyin around.

Back