• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What's safe temp for AMD FX-8350

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hallen

i'm running with SETI 4GHz on AMD FX-8350 with stock HSF. Temperature is steady 68º. What does AMD consider the thermal limit for the FX series.

Come again? Are we sure the cooler is mounted properly? What about your case and airflow? Ambient temps?

Case has side panels removed. Room temperature but two graphics. I turned off Turbo Mode and reduced it to 3.8GHz. Down to 66ºF. Voltage next. Do you have a link showing default vCore. The one above lacks that. amd8350.png

Default voltage varies by each CPU.

Are you sure the cooler is mounted properly? If you point a fan at the open case side, do temperatures drop?

To me it sounds like the mount or thermal paste application is bad. While those coolers are not great, they should be able to keep that CPU running under its throttling point...even with a full SETI load. Otherwise, spends $25 and grab a Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo or something.

i'm running with SETI 4GHz on AMD FX-8350 with stock HSF. Temperature is steady 68º. What does AMD consider the thermal limit for the FX series.

Do you have any case fans? Also if your going to be running anything that pushes the CPU to 100%, you need to get a better HSF. I have FX8350 systems and they all run at or below 40c.

I'm using an old version of HWMonitor here, it shows the FX8350 as a AMD K15. The CPU is at 100% in both screen shots.
FX8350-2.JPG
FX-8350.JPG

Here is the HSF I'm using, it's no longer made but you can find some real good high end air coolers to use.
cooler-master-v6gt-il.jpg

House fan brings things down a couple of degrees but still in mid 60's. I will order Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo and Arctic Silver and do it right. Bring things down to specs. Might get higher clock after, since cpu has tolerated higher temps for a while. Thanks for the help.

grab a Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo or something.

Bought used on eBay. Arctic Silver Newegg. hope existing setup has needed hardware for any missing.

Running system steadied at 64º with fan so I put it back to 4GHz. Maybe resume turbo next.

hsf.png

You will need more hardware than what shows in that picture. The ebay ad even says it does not come with mounting plate. The mounting plate does not refer to the hardware that is already on the socket of the motherboard. You would need to order the rest of it from Coolermaster but it may be more economical just to buy the whole kit and kboodle new.

Arctic Silver is no longer considered a top drawer thermal paste. Not bad but you could do better for the same money and not have to endure curing time.

You will need more hardware than what shows in that picture. The ebay ad even says it does not come with mounting plate. The mounting plate does not refer to the hardware that is already on the socket of the motherboard. You would need to order the rest of it from Coolermaster but it may be more economical just to buy the whole kit and kboodle new.

Arctic Silver is no longer considered a top drawer thermal paste. Not bad but you could do better for the same money and not have to endure curing time.
All good points...

... though i have to add that the curing time for AS5, most people won't notice the 1-2C difference it makes. A slightly warmer ambient will throw that off. :)

Back