• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Whats the best media shell?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jayfella

Hi all,

So ok, we've seen Media Centre, which is a bit restrictive to say the least, then there is Cyberlink Power Studio, which i didnt like very much, seemed more of a rip-off than anything else, but what are you lot using on your HTPC?

I am hoping in the next few months to construct a nice little PC:

low-end mobo
e7200 (taking from current pc when i get a quad)
4670 (or something similar)
a load of drives/blue-ray/etc..
Hi-Def TV card

Basically im going to put it under the TV, hook up a remote, keep it on 24/7 and use it as a media box (connected to my HD-TV), Video player, etc... basically an all-in-one media centre.

What im struggling with is what software to use to integrate it all together so when i switch the TV on, im presented with a nice little list of what i want to do. So i could choose to:

Watch TV, Pause TV, Rewind TV, Record TV
Listen to Digital Radio
Watch Movies Recorded on the computer
Listen to MP3's i have on the computer

Any ideas as to what the best program is for this?

I really like it - fantastic shell. I love the way you can download imdb for your movies, etc..

Does it crash sometimes for you when you click on things maybe a little too fast? Its a shame, cos i would happily pay for this program if it would stop 90% of the crashes.

Im gonna keep trying with it and see if i can iron a few of the crashes out..

media portal is really really buggy. "unpolished" would be a polite way to say it, as someone said.

Are there any others that implement the "IMDB download" thing? I really like that. I just cant live with the crashes every five minutes. Its driving me nuts.

EDIT: is it just 64bit windows that causes all these crashes? is 32bit any better? i get crashes all over the place whenever i click something.

Last edited:
i run mine in 32bit xp and havent noticed any crashing that you speak of....
the only time i have trouble with it is when i want it to do something it doesnt do :p

media portal is really really buggy. "unpolished" would be a polite way to say it, as someone said.

Are there any others that implement the "IMDB download" thing? I really like that. I just cant live with the crashes every five minutes. Its driving me nuts.

EDIT: is it just 64bit windows that causes all these crashes? is 32bit any better? i get crashes all over the place whenever i click something.

I haven't had any problems with it yet. I have it installed on two machines: XP 32-bit and Vista 32-bit.

I've tried it on my Vista 64 machine, but that's my main rig so I never kept it on there. I just wanted to test it out before using it. I didn't have any problems on that machine either.

Try using this guide to set up MediaPortal: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1092168

Back