• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

whats this I here about the claw hammer being unoverclockible?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I think to modify the clock gen you would have to remove the old clock fromt the board and solder in a new one, higher frequency crystal.
Where there's a will there's a way!Most of the time.

i'm hoping that they will realize that the enthusiast community helped put them on the map and include a feature like that
-Malakai

that would be like an ungrateful slap in the face...after all the performance hogs like those in these forums have gotten AMD to this position..its quite sad really...but i think AMD would come to their sense when they realize that Tbreds and Northwoods are outselling their precious hammer....

if the make um extremely tough to oc like where soldering is required. then maybe they would wake up if they saw their sales tank after many people who put up amd on the board bc of ocing dump amd due to their chip. but there will be still be the tbred. Does amd really do a good marketing research job?, theyve yet to realize that overclockers are a very important group of their purchases or have they?

OKCFUNKY said:
if the make um extremely tough to oc like where soldering is required. then maybe they would wake up if they saw their sales tank after many people who put up amd on the board bc of ocing dump amd due to their chip. but there will be still be the tbred. Does amd really do a good marketing research job?, theyve yet to realize that overclockers are a very important group of their purchases or have they?

Overclockers still only make up a very small percentage of AMDs consumer base. OEMs that buy in bulk would be the ones they'd cater to first, retail system builders second and hobbyists dead last.

donny_paycheck said:

Overclockers still only make up a very small percentage of AMDs consumer base. OEMs that buy in bulk would be the ones they'd cater to first, retail system builders second and hobbyists dead last.

true, we may be only 5% of their market share, but that 5% matters when you only have 18% of the market...

Yeah, we're a real noisy 5%, half or more the CPU reviews online have to be "our kind of people" who will ***** royal about any shortcomings. So regular joes looking for info on the latest and greatest will come across our point of view on things often enough to be influential. If you were a sys admin looking for a very stable CPU and motherboard platform, would you want one that the manufacturers just say is stable, or would you want one that half the hardware sites online have been able to overclock the bejaesus out of. I'm not saying they go looking to buy our kind of boards, but we've gotta have a somewhat influential voice.

Road Warrior

even without the websites, us hobbyists are VERY influential people to those buying and building comps. I know im kinda the local "computer guy" in my town. people are always asking me to "fix" their pc's and asking what new comp to buy(Dell or Compaq), i say neither!!!:D i mean i influence 50-100 peoples buying. All of us influencing that and saying in a year or 2 "dont get a hammer they suck real bad" WILL have an effect on OEM sales and our own hobbyist sales.
all of that and a formal combined letter from oc.com, the [H], amdmb, anandtech, and 50 million other forums to make the chips o/c'able will definately change their minds:)
Viva la REvolution(if it is needed)
-Malakai

I tell people not to buy Compaqs and Acers, or the budget line Dells, then a couple of months later they'll phone me with "My new compaq/acer/dull has xxx wrong with it . . ."
Me: I TOLD you not to get that POS.
They: But they had good financing, and YOU can fix anything.
Me: nu uh, RMA it.
They: What will I do for a computer?
Me: You still got that old machine that you didn't want me to optimise without written permission from Bill Gates and Mr Moore?
They: Yeah
Me: well send it over and don't ask any questions.
They: I suppose. . .
A week later
They: Hey this flies, why did I buy a new PC?
Me: You didn't ask me "if?", you asked me "what?"
They: okay, dunno why you didn't do this before though, I'll just reinstall all my favourite "famous scenes from movies" sound schemes my, 3000 fonts disk, bonzai buddy and morpheus (all defaults on no firewall)
Me: *groan* bye *click*
3 days later
They: How much longer do you think that xxxx RMA is going to be, this sucker is crawling like a slug, I think I've got a virus, it says my PC is "owned" or something. .
Me: I've told you to be careful what you install.
They: yeah, but you can fix anything .......
. . . . . . . . . . . . . .

So I'm glad there might be advantages to being "the computer guy" :D

Road Warrior

:D good one RoadWarrior

when my friends are trying to "build" their system, and asks me for advise on brands and components, i always try to explain to them the overclocker's stuff. when you OC, you got to have the most stable components, or else you won't reach far in OCing. so although they neven heard of Epox or Soltek or Iwill, i still tell them they are good stuff and stable.

but no.

they still think that since they never heard of the brands, when they look at the prices, they assumes its a cheap brand and won't do good as Asus or MSI since they sell cheaper.
damn it:mad: and don't even mention the importance of a good HS to them....:argue:

RoadWarrior said:
I tell people not to buy Compaqs and Acers, or the budget line Dells, then a couple of months later they'll phone me with "My new compaq/acer/dull has xxx wrong with it . . ."
Me: I TOLD you not to get that POS.
They: But they had good financing, and YOU can fix anything.
Me: nu uh, RMA it.
They: What will I do for a computer?
Me: You still got that old machine that you didn't want me to optimise without written permission from Bill Gates and Mr Moore?
They: Yeah
Me: well send it over and don't ask any questions.
They: I suppose. . .
A week later
They: Hey this flies, why did I buy a new PC?
Me: You didn't ask me "if?", you asked me "what?"
They: okay, dunno why you didn't do this before though, I'll just reinstall all my favourite "famous scenes from movies" sound schemes my, 3000 fonts disk, bonzai buddy and morpheus (all defaults on no firewall)
Me: *groan* bye *click*
3 days later
They: How much longer do you think that xxxx RMA is going to be, this sucker is crawling like a slug, I think I've got a virus, it says my PC is "owned" or something. .
Me: I've told you to be careful what you install.
They: yeah, but you can fix anything .......
. . . . . . . . . . . . . .

So I'm glad there might be advantages to being "the computer guy" :D

Road Warrior
god, its a day in my life:mad:
im THE ONLY tech guy in my whole county it seems. people i barely know call me to fix their comps, its not even funny.
and Kato, u mean HSF right? i thought u were talking about a high school for a second.
-Malakai

yea, i meant Heat Sink, but Heat Sink Fan is as important too...those normal joes would never understand our life:D

i hear ya
the jocks at my high school looked at me and asked what in the world is Dual Processor machine and then they go and on about how good the xbox is and how it smacks around a computer or how they try to play their p4's, they couldnt tell what a RAID card is, normal joes........ theyre in another world

p.s. they always come crawlin back for advice!

The PS2 has a package to run linux already. Kind of a cool idea, although console game systems pi$$ me off to no end. You can read about it here. It comes with a keyboard, mouse and a hard drive.

I wonder, how fast it would do a Folding@Home work unit?

Back