• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What's up with active membership?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
New Job - Early Development R&D Chemist for a year at a big drugs company.

New House - Renting a place near Manchester in a nice enough area.

No Internet - not until Tuesday 12th.

Once NTL (ugh I know) sort out the internet for us then expect dual [email protected], Core Duo 1.83GHz and dual P3/850s folding 24/7, plus whatever else I can lay my hands on.

Sorry for not really being around much lately - so much training to do ...

I think we need to face the fact that team 32 no longer has the POWAH.
Membership is down and new folders aren't comming here.
O/C forums as a whole isn't as poopular as it once was/other places are more popular. CPU count is down.

On the plus side, where team 32 did really shine was with the QMD's . Our member were putting out more PPD per cpu than any ohter team. Some type of WU bonus would put us back on track.

Just counting the days till 4 place.

Well I downloaded the 1 click for dual install w/ -advmethods and I was able to edit the two client.cfg files but when I click on the .exe to go through the install my Norton Anti-virus pops up with a detected threat! Under "threat:" it says "downloader.Trojan" and it immediately deletes the file and does not proceed with the install. Has the link gone bad? Or is this warning from Norton nothing to worry about?

How long do you have to be stopped to be not be considered active? I haven't turned in any points for a week, partly because I was on vacation for 5 days and my rigs were all on air w/out overheat protection so I shut them down. Also like 4 out of my 6 cores had 600 pointers, and the other 2 were over 300, so taking a while. Might see some points tommorow I hope.

damarble said:
How long do you have to be stopped to be not be considered active?

As far as EOC is concerned, when your 24hr average drops to 0. Which will take seven days of inactivity.

I think our membership losses can be summed up by several factors.

#1- Popularity of other forums and other DC projects (as davek points out)

#2- too much beer (ghetto) :beer: (no such thing) :D

#3- I know a lot of us don't frequent other parts of the forum as much to try and recruit on our home turf. It's tough to go to another forum and try to talk someone into folding for us when they already have a home. We need to, and I've been trying to, frequent other parts of OCF. Hopefully people will read my sig (if they don't get vertigo from doing so) and it will peak their interest. That's how it happened with me. I came to OCF to learn how to OC my XP-Mobile setup. Then it just snowball'd from there. Folding is one of the best stress tests on the planet, and if you can appeal to that want or need for total stability in an OC'er, then you've got a shot at making a Folder out of them.

Even though our numbers are dropping, big deal! Those of us who are dedicated to the project are here and here to stay. We have one of, if not the best, Folding community on the internet. Others will find us.

WTF T32!
harlam_santa.gif

davekusa said:
I think we need to face the fact that team 32 no longer has the POWAH.
Membership is down and new folders aren't comming here.
O/C forums as a whole isn't as poopular as it once was/other places are more popular. CPU count is down.

On the plus side, where team 32 did really shine was with the QMD's . Our member were putting out more PPD per cpu than any ohter team. Some type of WU bonus would put us back on track.

Just counting the days till 4 place.

If you start thinking like that then we have already lost.

inkfx said:
Well I downloaded the 1 click for dual install w/ -advmethods and I was able to edit the two client.cfg files but when I click on the .exe to go through the install my Norton Anti-virus pops up with a detected threat! Under "threat:" it says "downloader.Trojan" and it immediately deletes the file and does not proceed with the install. Has the link gone bad? Or is this warning from Norton nothing to worry about?

Norton sucks when installing FAH, turn it off & then install.

Once installed, it will only see the "install file" & try to delete that.
(not what it installed- which is ok)

Too much beer - :p HA!

OCF has never had a ton of members folding. We have always been known to do a lot more points with less members than other forums. I wouldnt worry too much. It has been a very hot summer here in the US and since it is starting to cool down, I expect overall team production to go back up. Also, a lot of school borgs that took the summer off will be back online. Folding production is cyclycle(sp), like everything else, and will ebb and flow over time. Also, overall team production fell when QMD's went by by. We should bring back the seemingly dead thread on recruiting ideas though.

I joined a couple of weeks ago, but I feel like my contribution is pretty much worthless. I had a 900 MHz P3 folding 24/7, but my main rig was about 4x more efficient, so I decided that running the P3 rig 24/7 wasn't worth the extra cost of electricity. Now I have my main rig folding about 20 hrs/day (I stop the service while gaming). I'm ranked somewhere around 2000 in the overall Team32 rankings (whoopee!).

I'm afraid to see how much the electricity bill will be this month. If it shoots up by a good percentage compared to last year at this time, my wife may throw a fit.

KillrBuckeye said:
I joined a couple of weeks ago, but I feel like my contribution is pretty much worthless. I had a 900 MHz P3 folding 24/7, but my main rig was about 4x more efficient, so I decided that running the P3 rig 24/7 wasn't worth the extra cost of electricity. Now I have my main rig folding about 20 hrs/day (I stop the service while gaming). I'm ranked somewhere around 2000 in the overall Team32 rankings (whoopee!).

I'm afraid to see how much the electricity bill will be this month. If it shoots up by a good percentage compared to last year at this time, my wife may throw a fit.

No contribution is worthless. You shouldn notice more than a few $ unless you are running several rigs 24/7.

Heck yeah... run that P3 24/7 and that other rig while you're not gaming. Every little bit helps. And don't worry about the power... I'm sure you may see some of us complaining about the 'light bill', but it's b/c some of us have quite a few 6+ machines running 24/7. That's really not a lot either. Guys like pscout and Landshark have upwards of a dozen pure Folding rigs in their house. Of course, everyone must budget to their needs. However, I don't think you'll see much of an increase on the power bill.

Keep 'er Foldin' :thup:

I've got... a few (ish) rigs going and also dropped the A/C 4 F and the wife just said to
me the other day, the electric bill went up $20 last month. :-/

(snicker)

so I shut the 805 internal heater off while I'm at work. :p

I think it was figured about $10 per pc a month for 24/7 operation.

Depending on how many watts you're pulling. (Pent D vs A64)

Back