• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Whats Wrong With Thermaltake?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pavypavy

Registered
Hi guys, I found a case I really want but... It's a Thermaltake. Is that Ok? The reason why I am asking this is because I read many reviews of their cases, and people do not like them for some unknown reason, and they said they arn't well respected.

I want the MK-1 Chaser case by thermaltake, and I want to use the Stock Cooling, should I look for another case or should get this one ( I have looked over Antec 1200, The entire HAF series, Corsair cases, Silverstone cases, which have some weird mounting in them)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...cm_re=thermaltake_case-_-11-133-191-_-Product

If to want to suggest another case for me...
-Has to be Full Tower
-Must have enough room for a GTX 590 ( I will either get GTX 590 or 580)
-Stock Cooling
-Doesn't run Hot!
-Silent at max speeds
-Under $200 would be great but I'm willing to go up to $250

People don't respect Thermaltake? I've only had one of their cases (the Armor+) but I loved it and they are a great company in my mind. I've personally never heard anybody say negative things about them.

The only real negatives on thermaltake that Ive seen are their attempts at water cooling products. Cases, though, are usually pretty good. :thup:

Basically it is holdover.

Tt used to release timebomb PSU's. They had the lovely Fuhji yellow caps that liked to imitate balloons. Their WCing offerings were umm well ?interesting?

Some of their HW (heatsinks, cases, etc) were horrible but most of it was "decent"

They have drastically improved from what I have heard.

Tt used to release timebomb PSU's. They had the lovely Fuhji yellow caps that liked to imitate balloons.

A review warned people to stay away from the TR2s. (A TR2 failed at high temp load testing.)

And that the ToughPowers are good.

But I dunno if you can get a ToughPower at Best Buy? They're usually TR2s. :(

(At least, that reviewer don't like TR2s.)

Last edited:
They had more than a few integrated WC cases. TT WC is of the worst, dispised kind. That and the PSU issue kinda goes back a LONGGG time. TT for the informed... well we just stay away.

Cases? You like it? Has enough cooling? Give it a try.
The airflow through that case will be average, no more.
There must be some reason other brands outsell the TT cases by the millions........

Ohh your CPU stock cooling won't be silent at high loads. And in no way will your choice of GPU be silent at gaming loads. They alone will be louder than the case. A case only helps so much.

Silent at max speeds? Unless you have your pc in another room and rout keyboard/monitor cables youre not going to get that at out of any case.

Tt used to release timebomb PSU's. They had the lovely Fuhji yellow caps that liked to imitate balloons. Their WCing offerings were umm well ?interesting?

Some of their HW (heatsinks, cases, etc) were horrible but most of it was "decent"

They have drastically improved from what I have heard.

Guess I stand corrected then. I completely forgot about their water cooling attempts, but had no idea they used to release faulty PSU's like that. And now I know!

I've only used their Big Typhoon cooler, but it's great.

If the case fits your needs and wants, I don't see any reason not to buy it.
The mass airflow from everywhere strategy is simple, but you can get equally good results with only 1-2 120mm fans, I've done it.

Case are good that I know of. As well as some accessories, got a 2x 5 1/4" hot swap bay for 3x 3 1/2" drives. Works great and couldn't be happier.

Some of the other products as mentioned, heatsinks, PSU, water cooling is something left to be desired at least in the past unless they have improved upon that.

Case are good that I know of. As well as some accessories, got a 2x 5 1/4" hot swap bay for 3x 3 1/2" drives. Works great and couldn't be happier.

Some of the other products as mentioned, heatsinks, PSU, water cooling is something left to be desired at least in the past unless they have improved upon that.

With their water cooling parts, something left to be desired is an understatement. They have a problem with mixing metals (hence the need for antifreeze in the loop) and sub par pumps, at best. The Big Typhoon was one of the top dogs of air cooling in it's day. There was also a case from several years ago that inspired one of the largest threads in the Cases and Case Mods section of this forum (Xaser III). I would say that if the case meets the needs you are looking for, get it and give it a try. If you decide you want more, you can always mod it.:D

I use to have a few Tt products back in the days of Pentium 4 and AMD XP1600's. Back then i knew nothing, only that i wanted cool stuff. I had Tt cooling products on GFX card and also Tt ram cooling. But like i said, i knew nothing, didnt check on the cooling, i just knew that living in spain, and i would give my hardware a fighting chance in the summer heat. It lived, but funny enough the ram and gfx card both have lost their lifes, but we cannot blame Tt for those things, ram died of age, and gfx card got killed by a freak WC accident.

Now adays, i dont like the Tt products, its to hip and out there. I like a clean simply design case with great cooling, silenced and with no visibel fans or anything. Tt aimd more for the cooling/LAN gamers area. I have no clue on current quality, but odds are they have improved.

A review warned people to stay away from the TR2s. (A TR2 failed at high temp load testing.)

And that the ToughPowers are good.

But I dunno if you can get a ToughPower at Best Buy? They're usually TR2s. :(

(At least, that reviewer don't like TR2s.)

Thumbs up on the TR2's. They fking suck. I have one so I unscrewed it and hot glued a high flow cfm 80mm fan on. Twice the rpm and twice the cooling. The heatsink it comes with seems to be ok.

Back