• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Where to go from 6700K?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
If it doesn’t have to be the latest & greatest, you could go with a AMD x470/x570 MB + 5800x(3d) (8c/16t) for ~ $500 or less. This also allows you to reused your memory ( AMD liked ddr4-3600 ) and to put more into the GPU $$.
If not the TOP of the line Intel + MB + DDR5-7600 ~ $1000 or more AND then you add the GPU :-(

If you have the budget I would say get the best you can now. You seem to have a long upgrade interval so I would assume you'd keep the platform for quite a while. On one hand that means the socket longevity of AMD is less important, as a drop in CPU upgrade will be less likely. On the other hand, the advances of 13th gen / Ryzen 7 series are significant so you'd want that performance carrying forward.

If it doesn’t have to be the latest & greatest, you could go with a AMD x470/x570 MB + 5800x(3d) (8c/16t) for ~ $500 or less. This also allows you to reused your memory ( AMD liked ddr4-3600 ) and to put more into the GPU $$.
If not the TOP of the line Intel + MB + DDR5-7600 ~ $1000 or more AND then you add the GPU :-(

If you have the budget I would say get the best you can now. You seem to have a long upgrade interval so I would assume you'd keep the platform for quite a while. On one hand that means the socket longevity of AMD is less important, as a drop in CPU upgrade will be less likely. On the other hand, the advances of 13th gen / Ryzen 7 series are significant so you'd want that performance carrying forward.

Both good points. I wonder how long the AMD socket will go for? If I buy into it now, will I be able to drop in a new CPU 5+ years later? I dunno....
Or yes, just drop some cash into the higher end and be good for years to come I suppose.

What is the latest AMD socket? still AM4?

AM5 will probably be 2 or 3 more years, AMD has said, "through 2025 and beyond." AM4 goes up to the 5000 series chips.

AMD‘s AM4 has the 1xxx, 2xxx, 3xxx, and 5xxx series cpus with ddr4 = 5+ yrs. The new AM5 has the 7xxx series with ddr5 = 3+ yrs or more. The AM4 started with 8c/16t cpus and ended with 16c/32t AND has the MOST recommended gaming cpu the 5800x3d. < I would recommend reading a review on this cpu 👍 . AMD has released the 7800x3d for the AM5 and has plans to release several more x3d cpus for it BUT this also requires ddr5. ** IIRC the new RTX-4xxx requires the new 16 pin gpu power connector > WHICH < also requirese a new psu :confused:
Intel is currently running the z6xx/z7xx chipsets (LGA-1700) that has the 12xxx, 13xxx and yet to be released 14xxx series cpus. These can be run with ddr4 or ddr5 mb dependent. Intel is on the 2 CPUs per chipset so after 2023 they will have a new cpu/chipset released around Q2 2024 :confused:

AMD has released the 7800x3d for the AM5 and has plans to release several more x3d cpus for it BUT this also requires ddr5. ** IIRC the new RTX-4xxx requires the new 16 pin gpu power connector > WHICH < also requirese a new psu :confused:
Just a quick FYI, buying a 4000 series GPU doesn't mean you need a new PSU. When you buy a GPU which requires that connector, they include one in the box. Connect it right, and you're golden.

I'm also not sure of any new X3D chips for the 7000 series coming out. 3 are out already.... can you link an article showing new ones ('several' even) will be released for this gen?

If I buy into it now, will I be able to drop in a new CPU 5+ years later? I dunno....
Gotta be honest... after that long, I'm looking at platform changes if I can. The improvements of a drop in CPU that's 1-2 gens newer, to me, aren't enough to warrant keeping the platform for another 5 years. But it depends on your needs and if you want to handle 'missing out' on new features that come out over the decade you're going to own it. Looking at your current platform... it's missing M.2 sockets (right? lol) which are awesome and a shed load faster than SATA-based SSDs.

Last edited:
AMD‘s AM4 has the 1xxx, 2xxx, 3xxx, and 5xxx series cpus with ddr4 = 5+ yrs. The new AM5 has the 7xxx series with ddr5 = 3+ yrs or more. The AM4 started with 8c/16t cpus and ended with 16c/32t AND has the MOST recommended gaming cpu the 5800x3d. < I would recommend reading a review on this cpu 👍 . AMD has released the 7800x3d for the AM5 and has plans to release several more x3d cpus for it BUT this also requires ddr5. ** IIRC the new RTX-4xxx requires the new 16 pin gpu power connector > WHICH < also requirese a new psu :confused:
Intel is currently running the z6xx/z7xx chipsets (LGA-1700) that has the 12xxx, 13xxx and yet to be released 14xxx series cpus. These can be run with ddr4 or ddr5 mb dependent. Intel is on the 2 CPUs per chipset so after 2023 they will have a new cpu/chipset released around Q2 2024 :confused:

Yes AM4 is less expensive. If the OP is on a tight budget it is a great option, but if budget allows it wouldn't be my first choice. I was mistaken in assuming the 6700k was a DDR3 machine, but if the sig is accurate the OP only has 8gb of 2700mhz DDR4. I'm not sure I would be jumping to reuse that ram anyway, again with a tight enough budget it could work, but trying to match it to an IC currently available to get 16GB would be tough.

I'm definitely not trying to say AM4 is wrong, I think its a matter of budget though. My usual advice is to get the best you can now.

Will read up on the 5800x3d! Any real benefit to swap to DDR5 from DDR4? Can't imagine huge improvements no?
Just a quick FYI, buying a 4000 series GPU doesn't mean you need a new PSU. When you buy a GPU which requires that connector, they include one in the box. Connect it right, and you're golden.

I'm also not sure of any new X3D chips for the 7000 series coming out. 3 are out already.... can you link an article showing new ones ('several' even) will be released for this gen?

Gotta be honest... after that long, I'm looking at platform changes if I can. The improvements of a drop in CPU that's 1-2 gens newer, to me, aren't enough to warrant keeping the platform for another 5 years. But it depends on your needs and if you want to handle 'missing out' on new features that come out over the decade you're going to own it. Looking at your current platform... it's missing M.2 sockets (right? lol) which are awesome and a shed load faster than SATA-based SSDs.
Yeah no M.2 slots. I thought I read about some issues with booting up windows etc. with M.2 drives? That still a thing? (Was it ever a thing?)
Yes AM4 is less expensive. If the OP is on a tight budget it is a great option, but if budget allows it wouldn't be my first choice. I was mistaken in assuming the 6700k was a DDR3 machine, but if the sig is accurate the OP only has 8gb of 2700mhz DDR4. I'm not sure I would be jumping to reuse that ram anyway, again with a tight enough budget it could work, but trying to match it to an IC currently available to get 16GB would be tough.

I'm definitely not trying to say AM4 is wrong, I think its a matter of budget though. My usual advice is to get the best you can now.
I'm a dodo - I have 2x 8Gb DDR4 for 16Gb total. If need to buy new RAM chips i'd go for 32Gb this time round.

Hey I've just noticed that my older Noctua D14 can be made compatible with AM4 and possibly AM5 (if the kit from Amazon fits it anyway)

Is the D14 a viable option for the newer Ryzen chips?

I'm thinking I could use the D14 for now and swap to the water loop for the GPU and CPU at a later time if I upgraded the CPU and MOBO this year.

Back