• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which card is better?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
ALRIGHT. so I see people suggesting different things, so I want to find out.
I did the following comparison:

at OP's resolution of 1360 x 768
with MaxPayne3. (OP's choice of game)

and guess what... http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Sapphire/HD_7790_Dual-X/18.html

looks like 7790 in fact does a little better there. (i m surprised)
so looks like there's more to this then just performance...

I must confess I don't play games that much, and my resolution is at 1920 x 1200.
but looks like if OP wants to use resolution of 1360..
then in fact 7790 better..
lower power, less noise, better performance, newer tech.

However, I will standby my choice where 6950 is a 'stronger' card, and will perform better at higher resolution.

OP, this is a case where you need to compare 'your games' and 'your resolution' to fit your need the most. here's a site for you. Good Luck!

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Sapphire/HD_7790_Dual-X/1.html
That is the same link I provided days ago...look at the summary for the closest res (1280x800). Also note that this review is an overclocked card versus the 6950 used is not. So even at his res, overall the 6950 is 7% faster... and at 1200p, 18%. :thup:

isn't OC card just mean higher clock that factory?
I am not sure of the OC headroom for that card vs the 6950. you will know better.

but looking at the card OP wanted to compare at 1360
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Sapphire/HD_7790_Dual-X/26.html
I think the difference at 2% on relative basis?

which means, some game one is better, and vice versa.. that's why I say I think it is becoming more game dependent than anything in this case.. am i right? :)

Of course it means that it is a factory overclock.

6950 has plenty of headroom to overclock.

That is 2%, sure. 2% for $3 more. Negligible overall, but still worth $3 IMO. Plus if he jumps to a 'normal' res of 1080p, there is no doubt the 6950 wins there. If you overclock the 6950 that % difference between the two goes up as well. Really, a 6950 is a hands down choice here. If the OP wants to get so granular as to look at games he plays now that may perform SLIGHTLY better versus thinking a little forward and going to 1080p or modern games that will want more than 128bit memory bus and 1GB of vRAM... BIG picture thinking is why I am on the 6950 boat.

I agree with the 6950 clear winner on higher res.
that's right I was saying... lets convince the OP to get a new monitor on a higher res! :)

6950 is a better card is so not relevant isn't it?
Original poster is not there to bench result, he is there to play games. Which part of that do you guys not understand?

And why you people keep giving him poor advice base on 'which is the stronger card?' EVERYONE knows 6950 is a stronger card, and the original poster noted that too, that's why he listed his resolution of comparison, and games he wants to consider as well. Which most of you ignored balantly. (then go on a rampage of saying I was wrong for suggesting 7790 dual-x when I in fact, know a thing or two about the situation.)

and truely funny how someone posts a link that proves 7790 about the same at that resolution, but he concluded on the avg. performance on all resolutions instead and pretend it is a valid opinion. Then just 'thank'ing every post that blasts those he who opposes (without cause). Profound, some posters are. You will think they know a thing or two. :shrug: I can only chuckle mildly and shake my head in despair upon seeing such foolish display of character.

To the original poster:

I am a professional gamer, and probably the only one here that plays enough games to comment. I understand the need to use certain resolution, and also understands why sometimes upgrading the resolution is out of the question. (be it your case or not.) To answer your question, at your resolution, you DON'T need 2Gb RAM nor faster mem-width. 7790 dual-x has better calculation power and will perform better, proved by many of the links other posters have posted. It also supports direct 11.1 better, which means here on when newer games comes out, 7790 will be able to keep up at your resolution.

It is however true, that you should post the games you play, and want to play, like what types of games. That will assist me in giving you a suitable advice.

Becareful when reading the forums.
Some folks answer like they know something for sure, but in fact they didn't even read your question, or the link they post.

of all post listed, you should be reading post #18 only.
here's the link from that post:
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Sapphire/HD_7790_Dual-X/18.html

kindly note that 7790 dual x easily surpass 6950 by 20+ fps, which is a huge difference.
you will see a dropbox at the bottom of the page too, look for games you might play, and compare.
in general, it would appear games you plays favors 7790 dual-x, but do be the judge for yourself.

Last edited:
Pulled this off of whatever was the most recent review from Techpowerup at the lowest resolution they tested at: perfrel_1600.gif

7790 is more or less the same as a 6870. :p

and here is something more relevant.

which HAS 7790 dual-x AND 6950
and closer to your resolution, at one of the game example you asked.

mx1360.gif

and here is something more relevant.

which HAS 7790 dual-x AND 6950
and closer to your resolution, at one of the game example you asked.

View attachment 131531

How is that more relevant? That's one game. In fact, all two people in this thread supporting the 7790 have only posted results from the one game. Looking at those results (and seeing how the 7790 vastly outperforms everything else from the last gen), clearly indicates to me that something in that games coding is way more optimized for the 7xxx rather than the 6xxx, and that is definitely not going to hold true across the majority of games.

And from what ED mentioned:

perfrel_1280.gif

This is a OCed 7790 vs a regular 6950, so the 6950 is on average just a tiny bit better at that resolution. Nothing hugely significant at all.

Last edited:
How is that more relevant? That's one game. In fact, all two people in this thread supporting the 7790 have only posted results from the one game. Looking at those results (and seeing how the 7790 vastly outperforms everything else from the last gen), clearly indicates to me that something in that games coding is way more optimized for the 7xxx rather than the 6xxx, and that is definitely not going to hold true across the majority of games.

And from what ED mentioned:

This is a OCed 7790 vs a regular 6950, so the 6950 is on average just a tiny bit better at that resolution. Nothing hugely significant at all.

btw, ED was talking about the 13% difference in that post of his.
let me quote him for you. stop defending him when he's wrong already. Now you are doing the original poster a disfavor by misleading him.

Correct. 6950 is the better performing card.

It seems its about 13% better than the 7790 across all the games that TPU tests...
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/XFX/HD_7790_Black_Edition_OC/26.html

Wrong res, wrong conclusion. simple as that. but none of your guys can accept a misread and must defend each other to the death or something? :shrug:

Then do yourself a favor, http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Sapphire/HD_7790_Dual-X/20.html

#1, click in the drop box,
#2, check every game then, see which game is better, and see which one is worse.

the original poster already note the 2% difference if you read his first post.

here's two more for you.
please research before answering:

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Sapphire/HD_7790_Dual-X/7.html
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Sapphire/HD_7790_Dual-X/9.html

then WHat OC?

read this. the 7790 dual-x only gets better when OC-ed.
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Sapphire/HD_7790_Dual-X/29.html

seriously, you guys need to stop making up ridiculous conclusions.

BF3 oc 7790.gif

now, I think some of you folks owes the original poster an apology for being wrong and ridiculous.

Last edited:
Research indicates it doesn't really matter what card he buys because the difference is like 1-2 FPS because his monitor is a **** resolution where the GPU doesn't matter nearly as much. :p. Looking at every individual game I haven't seen a difference of more than 6-7 FPS.

Whatever your pro gamer mind thinks about why he doesn't upgrade his monitor...judging by the fact that he's looking at cards in this budget range, he probably hasn't upgraded his monitor because he can't afford to. Meaning, if he saves up, his next upgrade might be a new monitor. Or he'll use his TV, or whatever. Considering the 7790 falls behind at any reasonable modern used resolution to the 6950, I'd still spring for the 6950.

Research indicates it doesn't really matter what card he buys because the difference is like 1-2 FPS because his monitor is a **** resolution where the GPU doesn't matter nearly as much. :p. Looking at every individual game I haven't seen a difference of more than 6-7 FPS.

Whatever your pro gamer mind thinks about why he doesn't upgrade his monitor...judging by the fact that he's looking at cards in this budget range, he probably hasn't upgraded his monitor because he can't afford to. Meaning, if he saves up, his next upgrade might be a new monitor. Or he'll use his TV, or whatever. Considering the 7790 falls behind at any reasonable modern used resolution to the 6950, I'd still spring for the 6950.

I posted some more results on my posts above your last. read it.

and yeah, let the Original poster buy 6950 which will clearly under perform in his resolution for games he might play and call it good advice.. :shrug:

I am done here, I let the original poster be the judge.
here's some result to conclude:

mx1360.gif

and overclocked. (AT A HIGHER resolution even, better even when lower)

BF3 oc 7790.gif

don't know about you, but FPS between 20-40 makes a huge difference. You call it 6 fps difference, I call it 16% better
any above 80 fps I can agree the difference quite less important.

:facepalm:

I don't even care this much, but I went and looked at every single game in that review, and the 6950 performed better in the large majority of them. The only games the 7790 won were: AC3, BF3, and Max Payne 3 if you compared the stock 7790 to the stock 6950. There were two other games where the 6950 fell in between the stock 7790 and the Dual-X. However, in the other 11 to 13 games, depending on which comparison you're doing, the 6950 won.

The only games the 7790 won were: AC3, BF3, and Max Payne 3 if you compared the stock 7790 to the stock 6950.

WRONG AGAIN.

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Sapphire/HD_7790_Dual-X/20.html
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Sapphire/HD_7790_Dual-X/16.html
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Sapphire/HD_7790_Dual-X/13.html
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Sapphire/HD_7790_Dual-X/22.html

and I am not even trying to pick better ones, just randomly clicking.
Now i am convinced you guys just trying to troll the original poster.

this below is probably the reason why 6950 gets close to 7790 in that rest.

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Sapphire/HD_7790_Dual-X/14.html

in D3, 6950 has 140fps, and 7790 has 100fps (a fps difference that won't really matter to the eye.) that probably skewed up the 6950 results.

dunno why you guys just refuse to admit you are wrong.

Have you never heard of future-proofing?

last I checked, 7790 support dx11.1 better than 6950 for future games releases, do correct me if I am wrong. If you really want to go the way of future proofing, we won't be talking about budget cards here dude. more people that won't admit when they are wrong. :shrug:

Last edited:
The new Radeon HD 7790 is based on AMD's new Bonaire graphics core, which is an evolutionary step towards new GPU technology. It uses more shaders and a new dynamic clock algorithm that promises higher performance than AMD's original PowerTune Boost.

The HD 7790 delivers excellent performance-per-watt numbers; actually, the card is the most power efficient one tested. The card never exceeded 100W, not even in Furmark, so it will run perfectly fine with weaker power supplies—something that's important in this market segment. While slightly improved, Blu-ray power consumption is still not as good as that of NVIDIA's cards, but getting there.

Pricing of the reference design HD 7790 is very reasonable. All HD 7790 cards come with a Bioshock Infinite game coupon—one of the most anticipated titles this season. If you don't need the game, you can easily sell the coupon for $20-$30, which helps offset the cost of the card. Compared to the GTX 650 Ti, costing $140 at this time, the HD 7790 is a bit faster but also a bit more expensive, so there is no clear winner here unless you factor in the game coupon that will make the HD 7790 the better deal. Also includes an HDMI cable with the card, which is nice, even if it only costs a few bucks.

another card to consider, Nvidia's, but that's another topic.

The original poster hasn't logged in since the day of starting the thread, which was a week ago.

Really I'm only arguing for the sake of arguing. Mostly because of your attitude that you're more right on games which are effing entertainment just because you get paid to play them.

Given the fact that I misread the graphs because I was going through quickly:

3 games that 7790 won
4 games the 6950 fell between the two (but you could just OC the 6950 and it would tie, if not regain the lead)
10 games that the 6950 won.

Even if you throw out D3, the 6950 still wins in the majority of games. :shrug:

The original poster hasn't logged in since the day of starting the thread, which was a week ago.

Really I'm only arguing for the sake of arguing. Mostly because of your attitude that you're more right on games which are effing entertainment just because you get paid to play them.

Given the fact that I misread the graphs because I was going through quickly:

3 games that 7790 won
4 games the 6950 fell between the two (but you could just OC the 6950 and it would tie, if not regain the lead)
10 games that the 6950 won.

Even if you throw out D3, the 6950 still wins in the majority of games. :shrug:

you cannot count.
either that, or you didn't read the original poster asking about 7790 dual-x, (which can STILL be oc-ed further)

now count again. (or don't)

I am not arguing for the sake of argueing on the other hand. I am argueing cause you guys are wrong, and misleading to people.
but glad you just admit you don't care about what's good for others. weird they make you a 'senior' poster. :shrug:

Last edited:
Ugh. Is the Dual-X binned? Probably not. Therefore, it's probably going to OC the same as any 7790 would. So it's like a "half OCed" 7790, there's more headroom, but there's also more headroom in OCing the 6950. So lets compare stock speeds to stock speeds because, in the end, you can overclock both of them (the dual-X is not going to overclock better than the regular) and the performance difference is going to end up nearly the same again.

Alan Wake - 6950
AC3 - 7790
Arkham City - 6950
BF3 - 7790
Borderlands 2 - 6950
COD: BO2 - 6950
Crysis - 6950
Crysis 2 - In between
D3 - 6950
FC3 - 6950
F1 - In between
Hitman - 6950
Max Payne 3 - 7790
Metro - 6950
Sleeping Dogs - In between
Skyrim - 6950
WoW - In between

10 - 6950
4 - In between
3 - 7790

I don't care because the OP has not signed onto this site in a week and is probably never coming back again to read these responses. If he was and made a post in this thread saying so, then I would care.

alright. let me talk about why newer generation cards are better. This might get long, but it is for those who wish to know.

We talk about FPS, but FPS is the same as saying how fast a car goes from 0-100 only, in using the card a lot more need to be considered. Response time, stress respond on sudden load, how it reacts to poor internet latency.. etc. GPU companys doesn't use these to compare, cause frankly, it is hard to measure. However, these are important.

now, why you want to listen to me? I am a pro gamer, I get paid to do this. While sites with FPS comparisons? well, analogy here, they are a tennis racquet salesmen, they tell you how strong the carbonfibre is in the frame, but I am like Roger Federer (well, not really as good. but you get the idea), and I will tell you how well the racquet actually handles. Who will you listen to? the site that tells you X is a bit faster, or the Pro person that tells you, the newer generation handles better?

btw. I know I have an aggressive attitude, years of playing multiplayer games can do that to you. My idol was EGIdRA, if you know him, well, you know what kind of person I am.

now, here's how I will read the FPS.

First, FPS over 100 is not worth comparing.
second, Dx9 and Dx11 should be divided, as RPGs etc, might still use Dx9, but first player shooters will mostly use Dx10/11, so it is actually helpful to compare which genre of games you might play. We will expect 6950 to do better with Dx9 being made in that era, and 7790 to be more suited for Dx11. lets see.

compare.png

pretty much what we expect. 6950 wins on D9 titles, whereby in Dx11, it is roughly a tie. therefore it depends on what games you want to play. as I have point out several times. The original poster asked about Witcher2 and MaxPayne3 at 1360x768 res, and I can tell you 7790 DX will be better there. Both games I played with lots of folks when it came out, and we had huge discussions about game performances too. Heck, I can almost tell you which card is best for which without looking at these site comparisons.

that's all.

Last edited:
Back