• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

WHich cooling solution do I need? Water or air?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
To the OP, unless you decrease the amount of heat your computer puts out, your room will heat up the same amount regardless of air cooling or water cooling. Your only options are to duct the warm air from the PC outside, or duct cooler air to the PC, or both.

So, since better cooling is not the solution, you will want to undervolt and underclock your PC so that it puts out less heat.

. . . omg I just suggested someone undervolt and underclock on a forum called overclockers.

jivetrky said:
Hmm, I don't understand what you mean. Have anything to show me visually? (links or something)

Only thing i could figure is that since there is no additional heat created from the process that is would end up putting less heat into the air (as in ONLY the heat from the CPU). But it's still putting out all of the heat dissipated from the CPU. otherwise, where does it go? I would think physics/thermodynamics would say it would HAVE to go somewhere, right? (BTW, I'm no physicist, just working on logic here)

EDIT: or does the extreme low temps somehow cause less energy to be leaked?
anything cold wants to absorb heat energy. In this case, the dry ice is cold as **** so until it reaches room temp, its constantly sucking in most of the heat from the cpu. After it reaches room temp, the copper slug which it is placed in will begin to heat up and thus, heat the room. Ehhh, technical bleh...

OK so I am screwed room heating wise. Got it. Whata about noise and simple non OC setups.

Maviryk said:
To the OP, unless you decrease the amount of heat your computer puts out, your room will heat up the same amount regardless of air cooling or water cooling. Your only options are to duct the warm air from the PC outside, or duct cooler air to the PC, or both.

So, since better cooling is not the solution, you will want to undervolt and underclock your PC so that it puts out less heat.

. . . omg I just suggested someone undervolt and underclock on a forum called overclockers.

Well ducting cool air into the PC wouldn't change the hot air coming out, but it would help cool the room.

And hey, didn't I say this exact stuff earlier? :p

Finiamh said:
OK so I am screwed room heating wise. Got it. Whata about noise and simple non OC setups.

Well, with watercooling you can get rid of the cooler on your video card and CPU and get yourself down to one or two low noise fans on a radiator. Or you can just get a low noise Video card heatsink (such as a Thermalright HR-03 with low noise fan) and a low noise CPU heatsink like a scythe Ninja/Infinity or Thermalright Ultra-120, with a low noise fan attached.

As for heat, you can try undervolting. You can possibly keep the same speeds with lower voltage. Otherwise undervolting AND underclocking would probably be the only way to reduce heat output. (The duct thing would also work well)

Finiamh said:

Thought you didn't have a noise problem?

For your CPU, Tunic Tower, Scythe Ninja, ThermalRight SI-120, Thermaltake Typhoon

For your GPU, Thermalright GPU cooler + Ramsinks.

I'm almost certain the blow dryer on your 1900xtx is the loudest component on your computer.

jivetrky said:
Well ducting cool air into the PC wouldn't change the hot air coming out, but it would help cool the room.

And hey, didn't I say this exact stuff earlier? :p

You might have, I stopped reading when the posts got OT. But it would decrease the temp of the air exiting the PC if the air going in was cooler.

Maviryk said:
You might have, I stopped reading when the posts got OT. But it would decrease the temp of the air exiting the PC if the air going in was cooler.

Well yeah, but you wouldn't have to duct it into the PC to get that result, just opening a window would do it. But you would get the side effect of lower temps in the PC if you duct it through there.

If you want the room to be a more confortable temperature you should buy an in-window air conditioning unit. The alternative is having a water-cooling loop with the radiator outside of the room so that the heat load is being dumped elsewhere, but that would be far more complicated and would either heat up a different room or make your computer dependent upon the temperature outside of your house.

Maviryk said:
Thought you didn't have a noise problem?

For your CPU, Tunic Tower, Scythe Ninja, ThermalRight SI-120, Thermaltake Typhoon

For your GPU, Thermalright GPU cooler + Ramsinks.

I'm almost certain the blow dryer on your 1900xtx is the loudest component on your computer.
the thermalright HR03 would be a good solution for your video card, if you dont want to spend that much on it a cheap alternative would be an arctic cooling accellero x2
if you arent sure whether you want water or air, i would strongly suggest you go with air for the time being, until you feel comfortable putting a water loop in your machine

smokie mcpott said:
the thermalright HR03 would be a good solution for your video card, if you dont want to spend that much on it a cheap alternative would be an arctic cooling accellero x2
if you arent sure whether you want water or air, i would strongly suggest you go with air for the time being, until you feel comfortable putting a water loop in your machine

Agreed.

And about the Tuniq Tower 120 that Mav recommended, I thought those were a tad on the loud side? That's what I heard anyway, I've never actually seen one.

Thanks guys. I think I will start out with a different air solution for the GPU and find a window unit for the room. But by all means continue suggestions.

Thanks again.

I find it quite funny that it heats your room like that because my computer heats my room to very high temps. and even right now when it is almost 0 degrees Farenheit, my room gets way to warm. My temps only run 43C Processor idle and 34C System idle with my PD 920 2.8 oc'd to 4.2 so i would have to say it just means that i am getting air in and out of my case good. As long as your Temps. in your computer are ok, then do something to keep your room cooler.

TIP: If it is as cold right now where you live as where I live, then open your window occasionally..lol

there is ONE solution that hasnt been mentioned.

that being evaporative cooling.

a large, noisy, but quite effective means of subambient cooling without a peltier.

it operates on the same principle as your body sweating. the highest energy molecules will evaporate out of the system, resulting in a lower overall energy concentration. that evaporative process to create water vapor requires a ton of energy from the system; reducing the temperature of the sourrounding water and air, but increasing the humidity of the air.

the drawbacks, for best results, your talking about literally using a shower head raining water down a 10" diameter PVC tube about 6 feet tall, with fans forcing air up and against the water flow. then a seperate loop(as the open loop will get dirty quickly from the dust mixxed with it, plus water stabilizers would be impracticle in an open loop) so this is going to be large, loud, and expensive.

guess Ive kinda shown why no one uses it...

but you asked!

PS. as has been said, water and air are 2 means of the same thing, all of them pull ALL of the heat into the air. water may absorb more heat during operation, might mean itll be 30sec-1min for the exhaust to get hot, but all of that heat will just dissipate in the minutes after the system is turned off till it comes back to ambient.

the heat in your room is a direct result of the heat put off by the PC components.

infact, a water cooled will be worse, the pump itself generates a significant amount of heat, as does the friction of the fluid in the loop. hardly an insignificant amount either. but it falls under the same lines as a peltier creating heat, its an acceptable flaw in that the radiator of a water system can effectively dissipate all of that heat, and plus the system heat, with ease. but the ROOM will be all the hotter for it.

Back