• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

which ddr3 1600 ram should I buy?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
my vote is with kingston. its 45 dollars less than corsair, the premier, and does the same thing. MY kingston ram is rated at 1066mhz stock yet I easily oc'ed it to 1600mhz without so much as a small voltage increase. Kingston is EPIC.

Hi

Thats a nice motherboard there but bit pricey, then i looked at the specs , :O Very very nice. I would suggest you going for:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231277

Its : G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL

Its got the 240-pin which supports the motherboard and you'll get 2x2gb sticks which'll give you 4GB which should be plenty , but if yu wish you can indeed just get another lot as the MB has 4 channels and capable for 16GB

Out of the five you posted and the one that Moonpeach posted, the Mushkins are by far the best. They are well worth the extra Moolah. The timings alone are incredible. Cas 6 for DDR3 12800 is extremely tight. You want to find the lowest Cas latency in your price range though.

Out of the five you posted and the one that Moonpeach posted, the Mushkins are by far the best. They are well worth the extra Moolah. The timings alone are incredible. Cas 6 for DDR3 12800 is extremely tight. You want to find the lowest Cas latency in your price range though.

so i think i have this correct: lower cas+lower timings+lower voltage@higher freq.= better ram? i have always purchased crucial in the past but am just beginning to delve into overclocking my cpu & ram with this build and want a good starting point. thanks again.

That is basically it. You want to have the tightest timings (Cas and timings are basically one in the same) @ the highest speed. Voltage is unimportant for the most part. It comes into play with an i7 (not sure about i5/i3) but in Amd systems and pre-socket 1366 intel processors, voltage is not important so long as you are relatively close to the manufacturer specifications.

nah nah nah. its all about kingston. I have my ram at 1600mhz and 7-7-7-20 timings. it comes at stock at 1066mhz!!! you just CAN'T beat that. EVER.

other options you really need to consider...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231351 <- if you want cas 6 and $30 cheaper then the corsair's.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231321 <- good lower voltage ram, will have lots of head room with 1.35v for DDR3-1600 cas7 ram.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231279 <-ram im currently running in my i7 860

Gskill is more price/performance oriented and mushkin is just all out performance. both ram kits for cas 6, well timings and speed being equal. your not going to notice a $30 increase in performance on the corsair's. they might be a 2% difference between the two stick, could go either way. corsair could be higher or gskill could be higher. i have nothing agianst corsair what so ever, love the company for great products like the 650tx im using. all companies look at the bottom line and what makes them money. when building a pc, my bottom line is highest performance for least amount of money. it just so happens gskill does have hidden gems in the line up, you just need to find them. :)

all manufacturers, ocz, corsair, gskill, crucial, have good warranties and good RMA turn around time. the only ones i have had to use rma on is corsair and gskill both times got back to me within a week.

For the record timings = cas on ram, so lower timings+high speed= way to go. though you need to look at the voltage required as well since IMC's are a bit more sensitive now to voltage from ram. you can have ram voltage leak over into the rest of the cpu's die if to high and kill the cpu, just FYI. something you might want to read as well, well worth the read IMO. How memory frequency affects latency - Tighter timings vs. Higher speeds?

Back