• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

which i7 pc would you buy?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dangerous365

Registered
Hi

Managed to get a uk company to do me a deal on an i7 pc. would you go for this or the dell i7 studio xps deal?

1)
CASE: Apevia X-SniperG Mid-Tower 420W Case (Black Color)
CPU: (Quad-Core)Intel® Core™ i7 920 @ 2.66GHz 8 MB cache LGA1366 ***Overclockable XXX***
CD: SONY DUAL FORMAT 20X DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW DRIVE DUAL LAYER (BLACK COLOR)
FAN: INTEL LGA1366 CERTIFIED CPU FAN & HEATSINK
HDD: Single Hard Drive (500GB SATA-II 3.0Gb/s 16MB Cache 7200RPM HDD)
MOTHERBOARD: MSI X58 Platinum Intel X58 Chipset SLI/CrossFireX Mainboard Triple-Channel DDR3/1600 SATA RAID w/ eSATA,Dual GbLAN, USB2.0, IEEE1394a, &7.1Audio ***Overclockable S&S***
MEMORY: (Req.DDR3 MainBoard)(3x2GB) PC10666 DDR3/1333mhz Triple Channel Memory (G.SKILL NQ Series w/Heat Spreader ***Overclockable XXX***)
OS: Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Home Premium w/ Service Pack 1 (64-bit Edition)
POWERSUPPLY: 700 Watts Power Supplies [+63] (CoolerMaster Sielnt PRO 700W Modular PSU SLI Ready/ 80 Plus with 135mm FAN)
SOUND: HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO
VIDEO: ATI Radeon HD 4870 PCI-E x16 512MB DDR5 Video Card
WARRANTY: STANDARD WARRANTY: 3-YEAR LIMITED WARRANTY PLUS LIFE-TIME TECHNICAL SUPPORT

£810 (reduced from £960)

or

2) Dell

CPU: (Quad-Core)Intel® Core™ i7 920 @ 2.66GHz 8 MB cache LGA1366
MOTHERBOARD: Intel X58 +ICH10
MEMORY: 6GB 1066mhz (6x1gb)
OS: Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Home Premium w/ Service Pack 1 (64-bit Edition)
POWERSUPPLY: 350 Watts
VIDEO: ATI Radeon HD 4850 PCI-E x16 512MB
HDD: Single Hard Drive (700GB SATA-II 32MB Cache 7200RPM HDD)
SOUND: REALTEK 7.1 INTEGRATED
WARRANTY: STANDARD 1 YEAR WARRANTY

£620

Both are excellent prices, 1) has better card, better motherboard, better psu, 2) is cheaper but crap psu and to improve graphics card in the future would need to buy a psu and card.

what would you buy? cheers!

so many people have said to build it myself but i really dont want to, also ive worked it out and it comes to far more the the price of number 1.

please can you explain why number 1 is better even though it is £200 more???

A 350 Watt PSU seems under powered for that dell.

Everything is better in the first setup except the Hard drive and you might want to get a better heatsink. If you're gaming you have to like the 4870 over the 4850 and you can add another one if you want more power.

Although the first one says it comes with a case that has a 420 watt PSU and then down the list it says it comes with a CoolerMaster Sielnt PRO 700W, I wonder which it is?

A 350 Watt PSU seems under powered for that dell.

Everything is better in the first setup except the Hard drive and you might want to get a better heatsink. If you're gaming you have to like the 4870 over the 4850 and you can add another one if you want more power.

Although the first one says it comes with a case that has a 420 watt PSU and then down the list it says it comes with a CoolerMaster Sielnt PRO 700W, I wonder which it is?

+1 ... err +2

You can do more with that system #1 on down the line if you choose to ... esp if they are switching the PSU out for the 700W for you, like I think I read into your post. You will be able to buy another 4870 vid card & run them together (crossfire) .... you will be able to OC that i7 920 (with adding a better cooling solution) ..... if you want to do this on that Dell you are gunna run into some snags with the Mobo, the PSU, the case. Option #1 gives you a great system at a very good price (for all you get there) and allows you to grow a bit over the next few years.

#1 hands down.

#1 as well

Better overall and will give the option to OC in the future. Though I won't OC it unless you make sure that it has a semi decent PSU in there. If its a 700W sure, if its a 420W you might have issues OCing it to good speeds.

While it migth cost more, you should have more open room for improvements in the future to it, unlike the dell you'd probably have to buy a new PSU to add another HDD, or a different GPU, or DVD Drive. As well OCing is out of the question on #2.

My vote is for #1 as well, it just seems an all around better machine (sans HDD).

Back