• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Who has a quad?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bulk88

I am just curious. Who here has a quad proc system?

I recently got a Compaq Proliant 6500 for $100. It came with 4 512kb PPros already inside. And a useless gig of EDO Registered probably ECC ram (the 256mb sticks prevent easy removal of the RAM cage so I removed them, the system has 128 now, my distributed computing program only need 600K of memory and win2k). It also has a bunch of annoying SCSI drives and I can't figure out how to disable the RAID (configuration floppy doesn't exist on HP's hell spawn website). One of the drives has smart failure and seems to not register anymore (3 9 gig SCSIs, when I installed Win2k AS (pro don't work on QUADs) I get 18 gigs on C drive but I don't care). I have no clue how to disable the SCSIs and the system looks more ugly without anything filling the holes. Also the RAM is useless to me, but atleast the system came with all the VRMS and processors there. Also when I got it the system was not cleaned. This was a AOL backbone server running Windows NT 4.0 SP5 server edition I think. I never tried to crack the log on password so I don't know what was on the system (too expensive). The system also has redundant hot swap PSes, Redundant hotswap fans. Hotswap PCI, and hotswap processors [cards each has 2 proc]. And has Hotswap SCSI. I heard loosly somewhere on HP's site from hell that it has hotswap memory but no documantation on how to do it or any details on it and I can't guess it. I wish this was a regular ATX based QUAD computer but I have to settle for a BIG TIN machine if I want QUAD. Also this computer under the hood has a Raid card with lots of batteries. It uses the Intel 450GX chipset. It has memeory signal increasers on the ram cage (one for each bank). It has 2 northbridges, one BGA on green PCB and another in TSOP. Also has a Intel southbridge. It came with a dual port lan card that it useless to me so I use a cheap 3com pci instead plus I don't want to track drown the drivers for the dual port. I haven't seen the entire MB becasue it is protected from falling screwdrivers and etc by the plastic shield over the PCI slot area.

Its a 10U rack mount and looks really ugly outside a rack but I don't care and it doesn't have a airflow problem with or without a rack)

think u should keep all the ram in there any way what eles would you do with it and how often wil u need to pull out the ram cage?
the server could be set up a s a print and file server for u and the ram will help

also those 3 disks will be set up as raid 5 which is stiping with parity. this means that pull out any disk and it keeps running and when u put it back in it will go back to full speed. thats why u see 18 gigs but dont blame me if ur right and try ita and it dies.

Last edited:
Thanks but I am not keeping anything on these HDs, this is a dumb node. Win2k with netbeui and the DC client. I could use 1.2 gig hds if I wanted to.

Back