• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Who Makes The Best RAM?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Who makes the best RAM?

• Micron/Crucial

Votes: 169 11.5%
  • OCZ

Votes: 363 24.6%
  • Samsung

Votes: 17 1.2%
  • Mushkin

Votes: 137 9.3%
  • Corsair

Votes: 384 26.1%
  • Nanya

Votes: 4 0.3%
  • Geil

Votes: 46 3.1%
  • Infineon

Votes: 2 0.1%
  • Kingston

Votes: 50 3.4%
  • GSkill

Votes: 191 13.0%
  • Patriot

Votes: 50 3.4%
  • Adata

Votes: 4 0.3%
  • PQI

Votes: 12 0.8%
  • Twinmos

Votes: 3 0.2%
  • Wintec

Votes: 3 0.2%
  • Other Stuff

Votes: 39 2.6%

• Total voters
I had an OCZ PC2 8500 SLI stick go bad on me just the other day.. Getting the RMA was easy, but they want both sticks so they can keep them matched.. so instead of 2Gb, I've got a single brave stick of spare 512 Mb PC4200 holding down the fort. No problem, changed the timings from 444-12 to 555-15, turned it up from 1.8 to 2.25 volts, turned a fan on it, and it can run memtest all day at 815 MHz.

The best.. anymore, whoever can give me the mostest for the leastest.

I don't trust Kingston, Mushkin, or OCZ because all have failed on me at high rates. The OCZ PC6400 dual channel I bought last Thanksgiving had to be replaced twice before I got some that didn't show errors, and each time I was back at the store, I met someone else in the returns line with bad OCZ.

Now that several dealers sell Crucial at low prices, I don't see to bother with any other brand because at least Crucial is part of a real chip company and doesn't use either untested or home-sliced chips and tests them using only PCs or cheap testing machiens.

I chose Corsair as it's in two of my systems now but in building my newest system I went down through the list of compatible DDR 2 800 RAM and came across Super Talent and I'm finding it to be very stable yet extremely fast even though it has the recommended timings of 4-4-3-8 but I'm letting my P5E run it at the default settings. I will reset those timings pretty soon to meet the specs they were meant to run at.

I have used ram from OCZ-Gold, Crucial-Ballistix, and currently G-Skill. So far I have liked them all. I think this comes down to compatibility with your mobo, OCability, and stability. As long as you have those things, then you have good RAM. :beer:

I voted Other for TeamXtreem, as their ddr2-800 modules are screaming at 1200 mhz right now :). In the DDR era, I wouldve voted G.skills as their HZs were also amazing overclockers.

I'm really bummed at corsair, ordered the ddr2-800 xms2 2x1GB and one stick was DOA :(.

I've never had to rma RMA from any manufacturer yet. I've used Crucial, OCZ, Patriot, PQI, Twinmos, Corsair, Kingston, G. SKill and Samsung.

Right now, I have mostly Crucial running in my systems, and haven't had any problems. I don't really have a favorite, I just go with what looks to be the best deal with considerations to overclocking and warranty mostly.

2 out of 3 pairs of 2x1G OCZ Gold PC6400 that I tried showed errors, and each time I returned them, I met another customer at the store returning some of the same. And despite being rated for 4.5-5-5-15, the SPDs were programmed for 5-5-5-15, and they couldn't be reliably overclocked at all. OTOH my pair of Crucial Samsung 1GB 6-6-6-15 PC6400 modules were reliable even when overclocked to faster than the OCZs.

Back