• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Who's not a gamer or folder

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I'm a pretty wicked Minesweeper foe... but I prefer my Minesweeper on my pocket pc... yes, POCKET PC. :)

Anyways, I never was a huge gamer. I do like the occasional game, but the games I prefer are mostly older games. While on future rigs I will most likely not overclock (you heard me... :)), I do love the ability to monitor my computer's status (with Samurize and Motherboard Monitor...) and to get a good overview of what my machine is doing.

Currenty, I am playing Allegiance (www.alleg.net) quite a bit and wondering what jews of the past I have missed out on. Also, I am browsing the internet quite a lot anymore and thinking of some interesting hobby to pursue. I was looking into making yet another linux install, but Gentoo made my poor AMD K6-3 400 Mhz scream overheat warnings like there was no tomorrow :)(). One day I might just get fed up and stick a tornado on that heatsync... or more likely just get another faster box...

Folding isn't up my alley because I am unsure about the electric cost of having my CPU at 100% all the time. You can't say I waste cycles if those wasted cycles would have translated into added electrical cost!

I might look into gaming later, when I truely have nothing to do... it's just that life has so much more in store for me, stuff that keeps me rather occupied. Besides, many newer games work just fine on older hardware (true, you don't have it looking ultra great, but oh well...) or require the top of the line machine.

Irregardless, I have stagnated. Like I said, I will most likely not overclock future machines. Secondarily, the next major computer upgrades I am looking towards is an A64 (lowest priorty by far), a new computer case, and a new RAID card. My my has my need to computer upgrade fallen by the wayside.

If gaming is such a huge issue here, I can see how threatened overclocking is, if the PC is killed by an XBox 2 that not only games but is a word processor/internet browsing machine. Makes you wonder if a PC will be a niche market in the future, eh?

One last comment, a sidenote... if a computer is to be heavily used, how is it used? There can only be so many ways a user uses a computer. I think that that selection will limit the answers given here.

sandman001 said:
I do both, I don't see why you'd need anything over 2ghz/2000+ for web surfing....

Cause when I want IE/Firefox to open, I want it to open NOW!

Thats pretty much all I do besides fold.... lol I played Driv3r for about 2 hours when I first got it and that was the last thing I played.... I think that was in Febuary. Thats why I don't bother upgrading my video card, I barely use the power of my Ti4200 besides for the dual monitor purposes. As of late my machine has become a very business oriented machine, doing lots of research/buying/selling/paper work.

But I think its a shame to waste all that cpu power, so i put my machines to the fold!

mista ting said:
i'm a gamer and i've read all the faq's about "folding" still have no idea what it does and why so many people use it :shrug:

Folding is where it uses spare CPU cycles to help research, as basic as it gets...

man, i USED to game almost non-stop (Counter-Strike)... then I discovered the OCForums (NIRVANA!!!)... and then i had addiction to overclocking... i killed my FX5600, and now I don't game much, if at all... (I was playing Counter-Strike: Source on this GeForce 2 GTS 32mb... DIRECTX 7.0 IN ALL OF ITS GLORY!~!!!)

I play Doom (Original, II and Final) about every few days... turns out this damned GF2 doesn't display the spectres right (invisible pink gorilla/goat demon things), so they are right in the open, they flash a constant white... too easy..

also, I fold now (dual)... I stopped folding when I was into america's army.. It was killing my FPS (around 3-5 FPS loss) and I didn't know how to get .bat files to start/stop folding... now I have those...

well im just signed up....im gonna fold now......

i figure since im at school pretty much from 8am-10pm or so every day i might as well fold while im away.....

I am on a computer for 8 to 10 hours a day for my job (AutoCAD and programming). I game and hang out here an hour or 2 a day to help me remember why I still like using them. Otherwise I might snap, open up a landscape business and take up drinking as a full time hobby.

Electron Chaser said:
I might snap, open up a landscape business and take up drinking as a full time hobby.

I thought that was only my delusion/fantasy ;) I try to play me games for an hour a day, usually one game of a sports game. Sometimes I don't even have time for that :cry:

I am a CAD man, ie Autocad, Microstation, engeneering calculation programs. I don't fold, but I am thinking about starting. That must be bacause I am getting older. And I am not a heavy gamer. I like MMO's (Guild Wars) for the people you meet, and a good shooter for a stress reliever.

i don't play games or fold. i use to play games a few years ago but i just dont have time anymore. i also used to fold too. now i'm just here for the thrill of modding. i don't really care what my computer does or how fast it does it as long as i can tear it apart and mod it to make it pretty :) . i suppose i would do cars if i had the money, knowledge or space but for the mo computers will do.

Electron Chaser said:
I am on a computer for 8 to 10 hours a day for my job (AutoCAD and programming). I game and hang out here an hour or 2 a day to help me remember why I still like using them. Otherwise I might snap, open up a landscape business and take up drinking as a full time hobby.

With or without the Deltas?

I think if I snapped I would either build wierd vehicles or create a frankenstein guitar rig that involved cats and firearms(wait Ted Nugent has probably already done that, i'll do it with a cat an arc welder, some air tools and firearms HEE HEE HEE HEE.)

I play games, but I'm no 'gamer'. I used to crunch SETI but it got old. I still run it at work but that's about it. For me computing is mostly about work, both rewarding, personal work and pay-the-bills work (I'm a freelance computer artist and I work in the internet industry). I barely have time for games. I spend more time playing solitaire on my cell when I'm waiting around than I do playing 'cool' games. Sucks too, I wasted money on Morrowind years after it came out (never had time when it was new), got into it, then uninstalled it because it was such a distraction. Same with Doom 3 and HL2, played for a bit then couldn't anymore.

Also games are fun, but there's a certain stress element to them. After a day of mentally challenging work, both left and right brain since I do creative freelance and logical-techie stuff as a day job, I just don't have the mental resources for anything like a game. Too intense. I've been getting more into movies over the past few years. Just kick back, have a few drinks, and turn my brain off :)

--Illah

I used to game all the time. Now i bassically buy/build hardware as a hobby. Although i don't go for records, i also enjoy benchmarking. I can own the same computer for months and still tweak something new with it daily and change my scores (be it good or bad). I don't fold myself, just can't afford to run my computers 24/7. I would also say browsing forums/listening to music consumes a lot of my computer time as well. I also spend as much time as i can spare trying to learn about software. I really sound like a nerd after typing that, but i promise i'm not :p lol

lol, im exactly what Sucka is (except I dont have a FX55 ;)) but I game A LOT. I love tweaking / benching my system on a regular basis ... kinda keeps me going on buying new hardware and etc.

Computers can do stuff besides gaming? :rolleyes: / I am an OLD FART and I game A LOT. I used to fold and may start again, been mostly trying to get this sytem stable at 2.6 Ghz. I don't like how the Folding client automatically starts when the sytem boots. I use my work pc 8 hrs a day for call center tech support. At night I use the rig in my sig to play Counterstrike to relieve stress. Great therapy; keeps me from going (further) off the deep end.

The last game I played was UT original and Max Payne original. I use all my wicked power to encode DVD's and such. I do not spend as much time on my computer as I used to. By the way I am much too busy designing buggy and unstable operating systems at Micro$oft. Priorties dude!!

im not what you call a gamer or a folder, i do play nfsu2 and doom3 but not seriously, on june 6th i will be a serious gamer tho (san andreas comes out for pc) and i will be playing it all the time because my school is done june 21

I almost got recruited by a professional gaming clan a few years ago but that was right after I had decided to concentrate on finishing college.
I'm not a serious gamer anymore and I stopped folding last year. I use processing power mainly for graphical work and video editing/recompression.

Back