• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Whose year is 2004?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DaMouse

Will Intel remain in the lead with their GHz or will AMD with their 64bits come out on top?

I personally think AMD has 2004 in the bag, whats your opinion?

intel remain? they are already losing to the FX chips. unless prescott does something few people think it will i think FX will rule 2004, at least most of it.

Maxvla said:
intel remain? they are already losing to the FX chips. unless prescott does something few people think it will i think FX will rule 2004, at least most of it.

i agree. prescotts have been held back for too long.

If you're talking about the buzz created by fanboys, 2004 could be a banner year for AMD. If you're talking about actual sales, even if AMD has a truly exceptional year they don't pose much of a threat to Intel. AMD's market share may jump by 2 to 4%, which is very good for AMD, but won't hurt Intel in the long run.

All we can really do right now is speculate anyway. Intel and AMD may both have something in the works that we dont even know about yet. So far, AMD is looking to have a good year, but a screwup on their part could hurt them severely. Intel looks to be the one hurting right now, but their large pockets could allow them to do some suprising things.

Let's hope they both stay competitive for prices sake :D

I hope that it goes to AMD because I like Intel, and if AMD gets a lot better, Intel will be forced, one way or another to get better.

It also means more competition...that means cheaper stuff for me to buy that is already ancient. :)

I think intel will be more prominant again. They are more prominent in the Oem computers ppl buy in the stores. Also the 64 bit chips are pretty expensive. You have to buy the ultra expensive FX just to get dual channel.

You do make a good point in that Intel basically owns the OEM computer market these days. That should be a truth for a long time to come.

However, the 64-bit processors aren't that expensive. You can get the 3000+ at Newegg for only $215. A comparable P4 (lets use the 3.2C as an example, as they both come out pretty even in benchies) is $397. At this point, the single channel A64 is performing very well, even beating some of the top dual channel systems in tests.

If Intel can get around the Prescott issue, then they should have a good year overall.

I hear Intel's Tejas will be a Pentium 5 that will be released later in the year.

With any luck, 2004 will belong to us. With competition heating up (pun intended) between AMD and Intel, it ought to be a great time to see both companies stretch for innovation. I think it may actually benefit us that Intel is having trouble with Prescott. If AMD can turn up the pressure with their new procs we may see Intel reach into their bag of tricks and get a little creative. Oughta make 2005 intersting, at least.

Posted by Smartweb:
I hear Intel's Tejas will be a Pentium 5 that will be released later in the year.

This is pretty much speculation at this point. I believe that Intel is planning on releasing Prescott in Feb, but they might not even be ready to do that. This would no doubt delay Tejas somewhat. Plus, no one outside of Intel really has much solid information on Tejas to speculate a release.

Foxie3a said:
I hope that it goes to AMD because I like Intel, and if AMD gets a lot better, Intel will be forced, one way or another to get better.

It also means more competition...that means cheaper stuff for me to buy that is already ancient. :)

I agree totally!

I think if AMD closely follows prescott's release with 90nm FX's, then AMD will gain ground. If AMD doesn't, and then Intel releases Tejas this year, AMD will be in deep doo-doo.

I'd really like to see AMD gain some ground and be a richer, more profitable company, if just for the goods that competition brings, but I don't know if that will happen.

Tejas this year? There are rumours... but given that prescott won't be released till february after a long delay, and it is apparently having design problems, do you really actually expect Tejas to arrive this year?

I hope socket 939 turns out to be really good... it certainly has all the promise.... an updated Athlon 64 FX without the registered memory latency.... drool :drool:

here's what i think will affect 2004: prescott.

if prescott is not released, or delayed more, companies like dell may actually start selling amd processors. if that happens, if amd can get into the mainstream desktop market, intel with be in a big hole. if the 64 bit windows comes out, and it's not buggy/cheap, amd will have a chance they haven't had since the t-bird. also, opterons are actually starting to get noticed, with sun and hp selling them, and amd's pr people said they were trying to focus on the server market, so that's good for them. if only they didn't have such debt...

eg1441 said:
Tejas this year? There are rumours... but given that prescott won't be released till february after a long delay, and it is apparently having design problems, do you really actually expect Tejas to arrive this year?

Yes. Here's why: Tejas has the same size process. If you've ironed out the prescott problems, you've ironed out most of the Tejas problems. And if you have the prescott to fill the gap between northwood and tejas, and the prescott doesn't work so well, aren't you going to put all your effort into replacing it as soon as possible? Plus, Intel can't have too many delayed products in a row, or it will look bad. Hence, they'll be throwing a lot of money at this.

Back