• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Why 1280x1024?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Wow, this has been very enlightening. I've been using 1280x1024 ever since I bought my 19" CRT a few years ago, never realizing that it was an inappropriate aspect ratio for my monitor! I'm definitely going to make the switch to 1280x960 when I get home today. Not only should it look more natural, but I will probably get a slight boost in frame rates! It's very odd that 1280x960 is not a standard resolution. Most older games don't even list this as an option. I'm going to try to force Wolfenstein: ET to run at 1280x960... hopefully it works.

I remember HL in one of the settings would only accept 1280x960 all the time and it ****ed me off, well finally I know why its that now, you know only years after I played that game constantly lol.

http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.cfm?catid=31&threadid=1487430
I think the last poster knows what he's talking about:
"The historical reason of why 1024 is in how the cards were made back then. You'd put two megabytes of RAM on to get past the 1024 horizontal threshold, next step was decided to be 256 more (eight bytes), 1280. Now, for RAM access efficiency, you'd align screen lines with DRAM pages, do 2^N bytes per line. So you're using 2048 bytes per line, not 1280.
Now, we gots two megabytes which happens to be 2048x1024 bytes, meaning that if we max it out, we can do 1024 lines from that.

No-one thought of aspect ratio issues, so the 1280x1024 resolution went on sale - and because it was IBM who did it, it quickly became a standard."

On a related note, I asked a question in another section and I haven't received a response. If I want to play games at 1152x864, but for Windows desktop I use 1280x960, will my CRT monitor "remember" its geometry and size settings for each resolution, or will I have to readjust my monitor each time I go back and forth?

I've always known that it isn't "correct," but I use 1280x1024 with my 19" CRT anyways. Don't really know why, but I like it better. Maybe it's that little bit of extra space. Geometrical distortion has never been an issue.

The other day I was designing a CD label in Photoshop. I used SHIFT+DRAG to make a perfect circle, and it looked right, regardless of that logically it shouldn't!

However, in HL2, there is a visible difference. However, since it is only off a tiny bit, it doesn't really look wrong, just different. Unless, of course, you are looking at something meant to be round. That's how I noticed it in the first place. Still, I keep 1280x1024.

Lol, I think this has never really occurred to lots of people, hence Valve labeling 1280x1024 with and (LCD) tag next to it.

I've been using 1280x1024 on my 19" crt since i got it, i'm trying 1280x960 or whatever it was and i think it is a *little* better...weird that I never noticed why 1280x1024 is different

On a related note, I asked a question in another section and I haven't received a response. If I want to play games at 1152x864, but for Windows desktop I use 1280x960, will my CRT monitor "remember" its geometry and size settings for each resolution, or will I have to readjust my monitor each time I go back and forth?

Using those exact resolutions (for Morrowind and then back to desktop), my CRT monitor switched back and forth just fine. YMMV.

That IBM legacy story is interesting, I guess I'll take that as my answer.

I still use 1024 x 768 and I am in a constant battle here at work with people that keep changing their's back to 800 x 600.

LtBlue14 said:
Using those exact resolutions (for Morrowind and then back to desktop), my CRT monitor switched back and forth just fine. YMMV.

That IBM legacy story is interesting, I guess I'll take that as my answer.
Thanks, I tried it and my monitor seems fine switching back and forth as well.

I have officially made the switch to 1280x960 now, and after adjusting the monitor geometry and size settings, I think it looks slightly better than 1280x1024.

KillrBuckeye said:
http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.cfm?catid=31&threadid=1487430

Sadly for some reason if I ever use 1152x860 or whatever its called my crt resets all its settings when I turn it on/off or switch resolutions and it is highly annoying. It is 6 years old though.

I've been using 1360x1024 for a long while now. Haven't seen it metioned above. Does anyone know if this falls in the 4:3 ratio?

i'm pretty sure your calculator knows :p

edit: :welcome: TO THE FORUMS

and yes, it is 4:3

edit2: I think I will try that tonight. It' be nice to have some more room AND be in the correct ratio

Thanks, could calculate it but....Id have to think! :p I could use 1600x1200 but text is too small and the refresh rate is nice and hight at 1360x1024.

Last edited:
Hmm. I have to make a custom resolution, since 1360 isn't in my list. And since i'm making custom res, I might as well go 1365x1024, since that is REALLY 3:4. 1360 is off by a tiny bit.

edit: never mind, wouldn't allow me to do 1365. do the numbers have to be even, or what?

hmm. so here i am on 1360x1024. Looks just fine. I can get my refresh rate to the same as 1280x1024. I guess the few extra pixels will come in hand for photoshop.

edit: works out for games. When I first switched res, I had to reset my screen geometry. I was afraid that when in went into CSS at 1280x1024 my screen would be totally off. I guess my monitor has a memory for this sort of thing. Cool

un an unrelated note, did anyone see the STEAM april fools joke. I didn't realise they were kidding at first. I nearly flipped out when they said "Cut price of AWP by 50%". I was like NOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

Back