• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Why would I want to buy a peltier?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SBeaver

I have decided, allthough this will not be done any time soon, that I'm going to get watercooling for my next system.
Unless anything unexpected happens like someone invents a cpu that doesn't put out any heat or overclocking is illegalized (ok, if I could still do it I would, but if it is made impossible I wouldn't have a choice) I'll be getting a nice cooling system with video, cpu and possibly chipset cooling.
But then there is the peltier.
I know it can make a difference but that difference in O/C is extremly small and will probably create a lot more problems than the extra performance it gives.
If you think it is worth it, tell me why!?
I can mostly see the problems with costs for a PSU for it, extra heat to take away with the waterblock and the condensation issue is a big one too.

Condensation is not a problem if you take the proper precautions.

With a decent pelt setup and a volt mod, expect to get an extra 100 MHz to 200 MHz out of your chip. Pelts are not for the faint at heart. They are however, a lot of fun.

IMHO, I would start with a start with a watercooled system first. Once you have it dialed in, then consider using pelts. Adding pelts to the equation without some basic watercooling experience usually just confuses things.

Some links on pelts to help you learn.

Applying Peltiers

Peltiers in Practice

Picking a Pelt

Marlow Design Guide

Peltier Info

Overclockers Peltier Section

Kryotherm Pelt

Back