• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Wierd Problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mac_dm

Registered
This is going to be hard for me to explain but bear with me. If I leave my computer unplugged for a considerable amount of time 10 -15 min. when I plug it back in it will not come on. But if I leave it there for like 30 min it will turn back on all by itself. Almost like it needs to charge up. I thought it was my power or reset switch but I when it is on I cam reset power off and on. But if I unplug the machine it needs to “charge up”

I have a feeling this is really simple problem but it has me fooled
:confused:

Surprisingly I've seen this happen before when USB connections have been touching, Try plugging your usb into ports not touching. Might not be the issue with yours :eek:

Try a different power supply. Probably something wrong with the transformer or caps. Sounds like a fire hazard too, might wanna get on that :)

I dont know if it is the power supply or not. because what it is done "charging" it works great perfectly normal. could it be somthing on the mobo

if it is the motherboard, then my guess would be something with the CMOS battary, maybe that is dead, and when its not plugged in for a while CMOS looses life..

but I doubt that for many reasons..

when the computer is on, use a program to check the voltages comming from the PSU, if they are crazy, then maybe it isthe PSU,still could be even if it has good voltages though..

I use MB Probe for my temps and voltages

it's definately either a cap on the mobo or a cap within the PSU...

if it does have something to do with the mobo and the cmos battery, it could be that the cmos battery is dead and there is a problem with the cap directly after the cmos battery (which would be why its not charging when unplugged)...

i would recommend first trying a new CMOS battery..cheap, like $4 or $5 at radio shack...if that doesnt do anything, then easiest thing to try next would be psu..

if neither of those 2 do the trick, then try a new mobo

~jeff~

Last edited:
Back