• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Will this be an improvement over my current cooling?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Pollux

Currently, my cpu is cooled by a Zalman CNPS-7000AlCu, and the Antec Sonata case is cooled by 2 120mm fans - the stock one, which seems pretty weak (b/c its designed for low noise) and an enermax adjustable fan. I'm thinking about replacing both case fans with 2 of these:

http://store.yahoo.com/svcompucycle/panaflo120x38.html

I want to be able to significantly improve air flow within the case to lower my case temps so i can OC my radeon 9600xt and push my locked barton slightly further (maybe to 205-210 fsb), BUT still maintain a low noise level. Will these fans be a worthy upgrade? and, at 35db each, would they be to loud without a fan controller? and one other thing im worried about, will the knobs on a fan controller prevent me from closing the door on my case? my average temps this summer (i live in fla), with the A/C on, are 44C cpu idle (49c-50c load) and ~26c case. During the winter, its about 5c lower.

From what I hear, those fans are some of the best. It should improve the airflow a bit at the least. I wouldnt think the knobs would hinder your case. I have never had a problem with anything messing my door up.

You might want to also think about setting up some intake fans if you dont already. I have had good success with positive pressure in my case, try some different settups and see what happens. Every case is different and needs a different cooling setup. Good luck.

Seabee said:
From what I hear, those fans are some of the best. It should improve the airflow a bit at the least. I wouldnt think the knobs would hinder your case. I have never had a problem with anything messing my door up.

You might want to also think about setting up some intake fans if you dont already. I have had good success with positive pressure in my case, try some different settups and see what happens. Every case is different and needs a different cooling setup. Good luck.

one of the 120mm is exhaust, the other is intake. do u have any idea how loud 2 35db fans would be though? would i need a fan controller ?

I have two, you might want a fan controller, at 35db they are sorta loud at full blast but compared to my Smart Fan II, they are quiet. On my rheobus, turned down slightly the are almost silent. GReat cooling too went from 36 case temp to 33 case temp. It should go down lower but with my case I have to seal it so air doesn't escape everywhere.

dicecca112 said:
I have two, you might want a fan controller, at 35db they are sorta loud at full blast but compared to my Smart Fan II, they are quiet. On my rheobus, turned down slightly the are almost silent. GReat cooling too went from 36 case temp to 33 case temp. It should go down lower but with my case I have to seal it so air doesn't escape everywhere.

I was thinking of getting those too, but I thought you couldn't get it to fit in the front because the case was designed for only 25mm thick fans. The back just needs to be drilled and it'll fit. If you don't mind can you get a pic of the front and how you mounted it I need some inspiration.

any fan controller in particular u recommend (preferably from svc.com)?

nope you can't get it to fit, forgot about that. I would suggest a sunbeam rhoebus http://svc.com/surheafanspc.html, but make sure it is this one so you don't have to cut the wires, I was lucky because the panaflo's come bare wire as an opition. This rheobus is cool because it can go from 0V to 12V, so you can completely shut off a fan.

so are the knobs on it small enough to where i can close the door on my case?

I want to be able to significantly improve air flow within the case to lower my case temps so i can OC my radeon 9600xt and push my locked barton slightly further (maybe to 205-210 fsb), BUT still maintain a low noise level. Will these fans be a worthy upgrade? and, at 35db each, would they be to loud without a fan controller? and one other thing im worried about, will the knobs on a fan controller prevent me from closing the door on my case? my average temps this summer (i live in fla), with the A/C on, are 44C cpu idle (49c-50c load) and ~26c case. During the winter, its about 5c lower.[/QUOTE]

I have the same case with the stock and a Vantec Stealth fan. When the fans are plugged into the fan controlled power supply molex connectors it's pretty quiet. I believe the Vantec Stealths are 28db. Currently they are not thermal control and my case is on avg 30c. My CPU is a barton2500 and is usually pretty hot, but I just ordered a ThermalRight SLK947-U with an ultra quiet panaflo 92mm fan. The Fan peaks at 27db and 43cfm. I spent about $15 more than I wanted to on the combo, but should be worth it in the long run.
http://store.yahoo.com/directron/92l1a.html

Also another possible option. Take the money you were gonna spend, save it and sell your 9600xt then pool it all together and get a Geforce 6800 non ultra for $300. It smokes the 9800xt by a large margin in 3dmark 2003.

MoggSquad said:
...Take the money you were gonna spend, save it and sell your 9600xt then pool it all together and get a Geforce 6800 non ultra for $300. It smokes the 9800xt by a large margin in 3dmark 2003.

It also will heat up your case more than a 9600. The 6800 series is VERY hot compared to the X800's. In a system where quietness is more important than speed I'd go with a X800 Pro or XT (which put out about as much heat as a 9800).

Mr.Radar said:
It also will heat up your case more than a 9600. The 6800 series is VERY hot compared to the X800's. In a system where quietness is more important than speed I'd go with a X800 Pro or XT (which put out about as much heat as a 9800).

im not foolish enough, nor rich enough to spend the cash on a 6800 or x800 when im satisified with the 9600xt's performance. 6-8 months ago, when the radeon 9800 pros were in $350-400 range, people bought them "for doom 3 and hl2". now 9800 pros are $200, and doom 3 and hl2 still arent out. i wont invest in a new video card for about another 6 months (ive had the 9600xt for 6 months so far, everything runs fine on full detail but far cry)..only sooner if i want better performance.

Back