• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Win11

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Haider

Hi,

I have an ROG Rampage IV, Ivy Bridge 4960X (6 cores hyper-threading to 12), GTX1070 (to be upgraded), 32GB RAM, Samsung NVMe 512GB SSD, 2TB HDD, Eizo ColorEdge CS2731 monitor and Samsung QE55Q9FNAT (gaming). To be honest I haven't even overclocked it yet as I haven't found it to be slow. I was shocked to see it is not Win11 compatible and come Oct 2025, it will be 'planned obsoleted'. Surely Intel should be using there influence to get MS to support older CPUs that are perfectly capable of running everything from photo-editing, programming to games playing...

That CPU was released in 2013. By the time Win10 goes unsupported will be 12 years. MS aren't going to spend time supporting the three people still seriously using kit from that era. There's nothing stopping you from continuing to use it on unsupported Win10 then, or you can try one of the many tricks to force Win11 on it but that will probably be more pain than it is worth.

A lot of companies will. You can easily use it as server for web/micro-services; it's a fast processor. If you're company and you have something works fine what do you care how old it is. As long as you get the OS updates to ensure it's not a security loop-hole, it's computer not a fashion-statement. I had someone call me a couple of days back asking if I had Cobol skills on OS/400 AS/400; apparently it's a very lucrative niche...

Not shocked. Planned obsolescence is a thing. :(

I mean, it was fast in its day, fo sure. But modern processors are faster. You can photo edit and play games, but it will take longer to edit the photos, and FPS, while likely still fine, will likely have a glass ceiling using a mid-range modern graphics card at CPU-bound resolutions.

If you really want Win11, there are ways to bypass the requirements while doing a manual install from media, the in-place upgrade won't work.

Back