• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows 11 experiences: pros & cons

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ihrsetrdr

Señor Senior Member
The Lenovo laptop I got for for Christmas that I gave to my wife is telling her it wants to upgrade to Windows 11. The only activities it sees is Zoom meetings and functions as a music player. It does dual boot with Linux(EndeavourOS) which I don't want to see get trashed.

What actual functional differences are there between Win 10 and Win 11?

Pros?
Cons?

Other thoughts?

I'm a lemming in this case and moved forward........because. :rofl: :chair:

Navigation for some things takes getting used to. The taskbar in the middle (can be moved w/o 3rd party software)...

widgets make a return... as fast or faster than 10...required to get the best performance out of alder lake...I like the UI/style over 10.

i've been using Win11 on Forgotten Legend the whole time (Because DX12 Ultimate, gotta have best graphics for games!), while Win10 is on Nevermore. i can't give any in depth analysis, but there's tons of articles discussing the feature differences.

tl:dr what earthdog said: navigation takes a little getting used to:

so far, what i've noticed GUI-wise, is the bottom task bar is default centered, but can be docked left or right, more settings have been moved from COntrol Panel to the SETTINGS menu. and by default, the right-click context menu is truncated in Win11 (with a [show more options] button on the bottom of the menu), but a quick search will tell you how to restore to win10 context menu. with the TPM 2.0 requirements, flashing the BIOS will need a wee more thought, especially if you use BitLocker: i've simply had to tell it everytime (that i flash the BIOS) that Yes, it's a new CPU (if i say no, then TPM 2.0 is NOT enabled), but i don't use BitLocker, so that's no bother for me. (I don't know if that's an ASUS thing with WIn11 or with every Mobo.) and if you use the virtual machine, you'll need to unlock it in the BIOS (sorry, UEFI), but i found that unlocking the virtual machine lost me about 10-20% benchmark scores and about the same percentage loss in framerates for games, so i turned it back off in the BIOS.

the lock screen doesn't recognize extra info i checked ( it won't show weather for me for some reason ) but, meh. don't care enough to even try

If you use an ASUS motherboard with Livedash OLED, it's random whether or not it works through Armory Crate, and boy does that software suck in Win11. it almost never shows available BIOS updates nor Chipset driver updates. i have to download those from Asus onto a FAT32 flashdrive ((BIOS)) and from AMD for the chipset drivers. really, the only reason i use it is for Aura Sync, but it does offer me updates for everything else it monitors.

another quick search and there's plenty of tutorials on how to dual-boot Win11

oh yeah, since you mentioned zoom, there's microsoft teams integration, too. but like just about everything, you can customize whether or not it's on your screen, or even enabled.

as far as i know, everything works just fine: including steam, epic games, origin, battle.net, brave (private chrome-based webbrowser), PowerDvD 21, Discord, Amazon apps, futuremark apps, ICUE. i will admit though, that Media Monkey (music player/ manager) will only work on Win11 with version 5.0 and up. Open Office 4.1.11 seems to work just fine, too. There's still stuff that won't work with Win11 (it took them forever to get USB printers to work, Win11 wouldn't even recognize them for awhile, so you may want to google-fu if your printer will work on the OS if needed, too. Mine is a 10+ year-old canon PIXMA MG7520, but works in Win11)

okay, i'll stop rambling.

Last night I fired up the wife's laptop that wanted to upgrade, so I let it begin. Took probably 1-1/2 hours and several reboots and the deed was done. The icon theme changed, and the taskbar turned into a kind of Docky center orientation. Pretty background. The Win11 install didn't touch the Linux dual boot, didn't really expect it to, since Grub boot manager was in charge.
oh yeah, since you mentioned zoom, there's microsoft teams integration, too. but like just about everything, you can customize whether or not it's on your screen, or even enabled.

I'm not sure what that means, or what impact it will have on usability, but wife will be Zooming Tuesday, so we'll find out.

Teams is Microsoft's version of Zoom i guess. it's their video conferencing tool. i don't know how performance compares to Zoom, but if you don't use it, it won't impact system performance at all. You can also hide it from the taskbar if you choose. it's like how Microsoft has their own webbroswer. you don't have have to use it. But, some people / organizations might start using some Microsoft apps out of shear laziness, not wanting to download better apps.

From various threads and tech gurus I have herd that Windows 11 slows down PC. Besides I'm currently seeing "your PC doesn't currently meet the minimum system requirements to run Windows 11:cry:"
so I can't say what pros Windows 11 have.

From various threads and tech gurus I have herd that Windows 11 slows down PC. Besides I'm currently seeing "your PC doesn't currently meet the minimum system requirements to run Windows 11:cry:"
so I can't say what pros Windows 11 have.
It's performance is the same or faster. There was an issue upon release with some AMD processors, but that was updated last year sometime IIRC.

It's performance is the same or faster. There was an issue upon release with some AMD processors, but that was updated last year sometime IIRC.
So I presumes that the problem of performance is solved now. But again my PC is currently doesn't have system requirements. I have also read somewhere that users can still upgrade Windows 11 on low end PC. But i don't think win 11 will work so until I upgrade my PC I'm goin to wait.

If they removed the option not to group icons in the taskbar and leave captions for them, then this fact alone is enough for me to hate such Windows. I appreciate the classic Windows taskbar, when I can see everything that is minimized to the taskbar, and not just stacks of icons.

Reactions: ptm
Back