• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows or linux

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

anonymous51

Registered
Hey guys I am wondering what do you guys use windows or linux and why? I look forward to hearing from you thanks Gabe.

Gabe. I use Windows.
1) I can just buy, install it and use it.
2) It's the evil that I know so when it breaks, I know where to look.
3) It's what my clients use. I want to live in the MS world that they live in so that I can better understand their needs.

I make my living in the MS world so I play in the MS world too.

Don.

Such an open ended question!

Windows.

Unless you know Linux well or have the time, patience, and inclination to learn it, I would stick with Windows. While most of what can be done in Windows can be done in Linux, it takes a bit more effort, and there is a learning curve. All games do not work in Linux IIRC... so if you game, that isn't the OS to be on.

Linux has its advantages, in particular for an intermediate to advanced user. But I rest my head on Windows.

My suggestion....... Go Windows and maybe load up a separate HDD/SSD with Linux or run it in a VM and play. When you feel good enough about it, switch over.

Anybody who uses an Iphone or an android phone runs linux, so you could say the entire planet does use linux. OTH, since ms windows came out before smartphones, windows is proliferate to the entire planet as well.
When MS stops supporting windows 7 next year (tentatively on 1.14.19), I plan on replacing win7 with something akin to MX linux. By that time my Qnap TVS-473E will be up and running so I can simply leave win7 in a virtual machine and as well I'll likely run a vm of 10 too just for kicks.
But generally this entire site is about overclcocking which is primarily a gamer's thing (I do not game myself) and gamer's REQUIRE windows for the simple fact games are not well supported under linux.
Your question is rather moot as one can simply look at sigs and see what's playing.

Hey guys I am wondering what do you guys use windows or linux and why? I look forward to hearing from you thanks Gabe.

All my computer usage is done with Linux/Unix operating systems. Open Source has ample tools for office, photo editing and music & video, and I don't use any proprietary 'Windows only' software so no need for Windows at all.

All my computer usage is done with Linux/Unix operating systems. Open Source has ample tools for office, photo editing and music & video, and I don't use any proprietary 'Windows only' software so no need for Windows at all.
Thanks for your help, what operating system do you use for linux? Could you also provide a pic of what your setup looks like? I look forward to hearing from you thanks Gabe.

Thanks for your help, what operating system do you use for linux? Could you also provide a pic of what your setup looks like? I look forward to hearing from you thanks Gabe.

The main machines I use are listed in my sig, including the OS each runs. The server rig- a Supermicro with 2 Xeon E5-2670s is featured & pictured in this thread:
https://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php/783481-Server-as-workstation

The Asrock rig is in a black Chieftec case, as is the GA-78LMT-S2 + Phenom II X4 965 machine, except in a beige Chieftec.

black-a.jpg

The Dell Inspiron laptop currently runs Ubuntu 18.04, but has had Antergos, Fedora 28 and Debian previously.

The main machines I use are listed in my sig, including the OS each runs. The server rig- a Supermicro with 2 Xeon E5-2670s is featured & pictured in this thread:
https://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php/783481-Server-as-workstation

The Asrock rig is in a black Chieftec case, as is the GA-78LMT-S2 + Phenom II X4 965 machine, except in a beige Chieftec.

View attachment 206503

The Dell Inspiron laptop currently runs Ubuntu 18.04, but has had Antergos, Fedora 28 and Debian previously.

Thanks again for your help.

The best advice I can give is to use what works best for you. If you want to learn/play/explore then by all means pick a Linux distro and start exploring. If you just want to be able to turn on the system and run your apps, then any OS will be fine.

I use Linux, though I do still have several Win 10 installs in the house. I also run Windows in a Virtual Machine for those apps that don't yet run on Linux (only one at this point, the update software for my Rand McNally GPS)

There are now Linux distibutions (Mint, MX Linux, Solus, etc) that install and run just fine out-of-the-box. No real need to learn anything new, it all just works, like Windows does (for what that's worth). And the communities have grown incredibly in the last 10 years. You will find answers to problems you encounter as easily for Linux as you can for Windows, sometimes even more easily.

So as I said, use what works for you and don't let anyone tell you what you 'should' or 'must' be using.

Good Luck!

~DWolf

The best advice I can give is to use what works best for you. If you want to learn/play/explore then by all means pick a Linux distro and start exploring. If you just want to be able to turn on the system and run your apps, then any OS will be fine.

I use Linux, though I do still have several Win 10 installs in the house. I also run Windows in a Virtual Machine for those apps that don't yet run on Linux (only one at this point, the update software for my Rand McNally GPS)

There are now Linux distibutions (Mint, MX Linux, Solus, etc) that install and run just fine out-of-the-box. No real need to learn anything new, it all just works, like Windows does (for what that's worth). And the communities have grown incredibly in the last 10 years. You will find answers to problems you encounter as easily for Linux as you can for Windows, sometimes even more easily.

So as I said, use what works for you and don't let anyone tell you what you 'should' or 'must' be using.

Good Luck!

~DWolf
hey D wolf, Thanks for your help.

If more AAA game titles has support for Linux, I would dump windows forever! also be nice to have apps that work "out of the box" for benching & testing OC.

Windows. It's that simple especially if you are a gamer. Everything is so much simpler anyone who says otherwise is full of bologna... unless you just browse the web and check email or something like that... then linux is plenty enough right out of the box.

This is coming from a guy who manages quite a few linux boxes.

Last edited:
I've been running MX Linux for a couple weeks now. No system.d, xfce, and debian 9. Works great. Linux has matured exponentially since Ubuntu's debut. After having some niggling troubles, such as password safe never shutting down properly on a boot seq., and xfce looking and acting like it did ten years ago, I grabbed the beta release v19 with debian 10 and xfce 4.14. Huge improvements and works better than the deb 9 stable release v18.3.

MX Tools ships with a snapshot tool that windows could use. It's the ultimate backup rescue solution.
Basically it creates an iso of the running system and dumps it by default to the OS disk itself. Then you take The MX Live USB Maker tool and it creates a bootable flash drive of the iso. Whew. No need for any 3rd party backup/rescue solutions at all. Just boot to the flash and install. Doesn't matter if the disk is even formatted or you swap for a new one (which I plan on doing very soon btw). I had a slight prob with the default compression level in the snapshot tool as it would cause my pc to freeze up using xz. Submitted a bug and it was solved within a day (now I use lz4). Not only that, they updated the soft and the gui so you have all the options you could ask for without even needing to manually edit the conf file. Plus they added a really cool USB Format tool with ext4, exfat, ntfs, and fat32 options.

I miss a few softwares in windows but, not really. I can run LibreOffice and MKVToolnix as appimage aps (single file portable executables). So far I only have 3 standalone packages but still can't figure out how to get deadbeef to display the filesystem tree-view plugin. Without this it's practically useless.
Mounting any drive on boot is as simple as a checkbox. I knew the day I installed ubuntu that it would take a minimum of 5-10 years before I could conceivably dump windows bloatware of insecurities. The day has come.

Forgot, the beta version of password safe has mostly fixed the boot issues regarding the plk file problem. If this file exists when you open psafe, it's read-only.

Linux blows windows out of the water in every way shape and form. There are packages right in synaptic you can install as a scientist, an artist, a software developer, a doctor, electrical engineer, a mathematician, an IT pro, you name it, and all for free. Winblows can keep it's 'best gaming platform' title. Apparently that's what it does best anywho. I've nothing against gaming. It's windows that has the problems.

Last edited:
Try Linux Mint-19.2-cinnamon-64bit Easy to install and use. You will have to search the internet and learn how to do the more advanced under the hood using the CLI command line interface using a terminal, but most of the every day stuff can be done with the windows like graphical user interface GUI. You can also install windows and let Mint set up a dual boot option while it's being installed after windows.

Such an open ended question!

Windows.

Unless you know Linux well or have the time, patience, and inclination to learn it, I would stick with Windows. While most of what can be done in Windows can be done in Linux, it takes a bit more effort, and there is a learning curve. All games do not work in Linux IIRC... so if you game, that isn't the OS to be on.

Linux has its advantages, in particular for an intermediate to advanced user. But I rest my head on Windows.

My suggestion....... Go Windows and maybe load up a separate HDD/SSD with Linux or run it in a VM and play. When you feel good enough about it, switch over.

I would say that the learning curve isn't all tha tabd if you pick the right DIstro for you(their isn't one BEST distro of LInux you have to find the one that suits your needs or learn to build your own).

I would recommend soemthing like LInux MInt for a beginner.

THat said I stopped being Bill Gates ***** over a year ago and ahve been happy ever since.
The freedom to put together every swingle piece of my OS myself and not have anything forced on me is what I have always wanted.

Yet I will agree it is not for everyone.
If you have work to do that involves Adobe or somethign similar you are going to want to keep at least one machine around that runs windows or learn GIMP.
If you are a big gamer I would do a lot of research and be sure all your favorite games will run oin linux through wine or natively.

If however all you do it social media, email, youtube or things similar, surf the web etc etc you will never know the difference with the right distro and the learning curve narrows down to figuring out how to navigate the OS more than configuring and other complicated things.

One mroe thing,...
If you own a smart tv, router, android phone and many other things you already use Linux everyday and didn't know it LoL.

I've been using Linux almost exclusively for decades, literally. My first exposure to *nix was the MKS Toolkit on MS-DOS. It was so much more capable than DOS COMMAND.COM. I felt that DOS was just not meeting my needs as well. I eventually moved to SCO Unix, then OS/2 (when I could buy the OS and C++ tool kit for less than SCO wanted for the C++ compiler) and eventually moved to Linux when it was in its infancy. I ran it on my first laptop (Thinkpad 750Cs.)

You need to use what meets your needs and what makes you happy. You can install Linux dual boot with Windows. I still do that in case the need for Windows comes up, but that's happening less and less.

I would describe myself as a rabid penguinista.

Another thing to consider... If your needs are met by programs running in the browser, a Chromebook/Chromebox might be the best chpoice, but I'm guessing that you want more out of a computer or you wouldn't be here.

I use linux all that I can.
I have used lots of distros looking for what I want, I have found that I don't need to brew my own, I just download and try another for a while.
for A super light weight I use puppy os on A thumb drive, for A super heavy weight, windoze replacement I use zorin.
I dual boot my rigs and install the operating systems on their own drives, I install the os with the target drive as the only thing connected, that way I avoid grub and mbr issues when I change os on that drive.

Windows on the desktop/HTPC/laptop, Raspbian/Raspbian Lite on the Pis (duh), and occasionally Red Hat at work. I have more experience with Windows which is why I stick with it on my desktop but know enough just enough about both to royally break stuff beyond my ability to fix. Actually have W10 on a slightly trimmed down partition on the SM951 in my desktop so there's ~20gb free, always meant to toss Mint on it, but never really got into it.

I use just Windows as that what I have grew up on .. Don't get me wrong I have tried Linux Mint and Ubuntu Mate but almost fired 2 laptops because and Linux cannot do what I need for it to do ..

Back