• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

spazzkid

4 questions:
-do i need to install via 4 in 1's for win2k?
-does win2k increase performance of my pc compared to win98se?
-how do i dual boot win2k and win98se?
-how do i dual boot winNT server and win98se?

any links and knowledgable answers are welcome. thanks guys.

spazzkid said:
4 questions:
-do i need to install via 4 in 1's for win2k?
-does win2k increase performance of my pc compared to win98se?
-how do i dual boot win2k and win98se?
-how do i dual boot winNT server and win98se?

any links and knowledgable answers are welcome. thanks guys.

1. No you don't HAVE to, but you will probably run better with the 4in1's.
2. Without a doubt! It will run faster and it won't crash 5 times a day.
3. NEVER Dual boot a drive, you are asking for trouble!
4. NEVER Dual boot a drive, you are asking for trouble!

Use 1 OS per PHYSICAL drive.

the reason why i want to dual boot my pc is becoz i want to run 98 for games and winNT for my self studying of servers. ok, so if its bad to dual boot 2 oses in one drive, then how am i gonna install sql server, norton anti virus server, proxy server and sql server? any ideas guys?

The best way is to get 2 drives. Run a different OS on each. You can dual boot a drive, but, eventually you will run into problems.

i partioned my hd into 2 big partions and ran 98 and 2k for a while when i first made the switch and then evently switched to win2k.... you should have any problems if you dual boot and install them on to seprate partions.

make 2 partitions on your drive, one for 2K and one for 98SE...if you were to go with XP instead of 2K, you would have compatability w/ 99% of your games, while still having ALL of the features of 2K, under one boot. You can turn off the fancy GUI and a few other features to keep it from eating your resources...just consider XP the last service pack for 2K...it's worth it!

you should have any problems if you dual boot and install them on to seprate partions.

I think he meant you shouldn't have any problems...:D

ok guys, ill take ur word for it. howbout winNT? what if dual boot 98se and NT. is it pretty much the same thing?

When running W2k on an AMD system you will nead a patch.

Description of Issue
An issue has been identified that could result in the corruption of video data shared between AGP graphics adapters and AMD Athlon™ or AMD Duron™ family processors, including the AMD Athlon™ MP, mobile Athlon™ 4, and AMD Athlon™ XP processors, when running Microsoft Windows®2000 Professional, Windows®2000 Server, or Windows®2000 Advanced Server. This issue is independent of system chipset and has been observed when running Ziff-Davis 3D Winbench™ 2000 and Mad Onion 3DMark™ 2000 in benchmarking mode. Note: This patch is not needed for Windows XP.

Solution
AMD and Microsoft have worked together to identify a patch that involves adding a key to the registry. To add the key run the registry key installation file below or add the registry key as detailed in Microsoft KnowledgeBase article Q270715. AMD recommends that AMD Athlon™ and AMD Duron™ family processors, including AMD Athlon™ MP, mobile AMD Athlon™ 4, and AMD Athlon™ XP processor users with AGP graphics adapters running Microsoft Windows®2000 Professional, Windows®2000 Server, or Windows®2000 Advanced Server install this patch.

nt 4.0 and 98? pain in the butt, better off with 98+ 2k
however

put on 98 in FAT 16 only, then run your nt setup from within 98 and format install nt in fat

then boot into nt and install your service packs, then if necessary from within nt convert to ntfs, manage your disk(expand beyond the 8 gig limit, etc)

fat reads to fat, ntfs reads to fat, fat wont read nt

Back